Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying fresh fish!

Options
  • 27-05-2013 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

I did a search but didn't find anything recent....!
    About a week or so ago I spotted a van selling fish outside the Beach House pub in Greystones. Does anyone know when it is normally there - times/days etc.
    Failing that are there any places selling fish at a reasonable price in the area?
    Thanks in advance!!
    MG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Usually Thursdays and Fridays. I think it is Wrights from Howth

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭audreyp

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Usually Thursdays and Fridays. I think it is Wrights from Howth

Do you know times? Is it pricey? Good selection? Good quality? Thanks in advance!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

audreyp wrote: »
    Do you know times? Is it pricey? Good selection? Good quality? Thanks in advance!!

Donnybrook Fair used to have nice fish. Pay a bit more but it was good quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Not sure but I think they are there from morning til afternoon
    Heard the product is the finest.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭micandre

Cavistons is a good fish shop:

http://www.acaviston.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭audreyp

We frequently go to Cavistons but wondering if there was a cheaper option! Probably not for the same quality :-)

DF is OK but much prefer Cav's!

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭joeduke

The lady in the white van is outside the Beach House every Thursday from 10am - 3pm. They are a fishing family from Kilmore Quay in Wexford and the fish is caught by their own Trawler the day before. Its the freshest cheapest fish you will get anywhere. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

joeduke wrote: »
    The lady in the white van is outside the Beach House every Thursday from 10am - 3pm. They are a fishing family from Kilmore Quay in Wexford and the fish is caught by their own Trawler the day before. Its the freshest cheapest fish you will get anywhere. :)

The Bates ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

We frequently go to Cavistons but wondering if there was a cheaper option! Probably not for the same quality :-)

DF is OK but much prefer Cav's!

Thanks,

Forgot about Caviston's. There's the weekend fish at Dun Laoghaire pier. That was pretty good and cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

joeduke wrote: »

I think she does Wicklow Town on Fridays as well?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭realgolfgeek

Cavistons have nice fish.
    However, the prices are a complete and utter joke and I refuse to shop there.

I was also told that Donnybrook fair and Cavistons get their fish from the same source every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭joeduke

The fish lady will give you her number and if you ring her before Thursdays she will have your order put aside for you. Also if you want to order anything special (Lobster, Crab, Turbot, Tuns steaks anything thats swims) she will get it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭MiniGolf

Just bought some fish from Imelda this morning!
    Lovely lady and great value.
    I'll be back for more!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Guys,

Would anyone be able to pm her number?

We work full time so can't make it down to the beach house but would love to regularly buy some fresh fish?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭realgolfgeek

forgive me for saying so,
    but ...
    fish is fish, I can guarantee you're not going to get a real/significant quality difference, whether you buy it off the lady at the beach house, cavistons or donnybrook fair.
    It's not like meat. The main factor should be price to be honest.

If I gave you a steak from tesco prepack, and one from the steak shop, 9 times out of 10 you'd know the difference.
    I give you trout,mackrel,etc ... from DF, and one from Cavistons, you're not going to know the difference.

Advertisement