Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

contracts and purchases

• 27-05-2013 3:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭

Lets say that I have a car or house and the insurance policy (fully comp or buildings.) has expired. While I'm searching around for a quote someone else, a third party without my knowledge makes full payment on this policy without me knowing or being involved. They then come to me and demand the full payment.

Do I have to pay it? Or is it a purely private contract and nothing to do with me? Can they legally enforce that I pay it?

(ignore the difficulties of having knowledge about the policy, just assume they do and the policy is 100% valid.)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

This wouldn't come about and the policy can't be valid owing to the nature of insurance contracts.

viz.

Unless the 3rd party is a co-owner of the car or house they don't have an insurable interest on the property so I can't see any insurance Company giving such a policy and certainly not paying out on it.

Also

If they were able to get a policy it would be useless to you as you aren't a party to the contract for insurance and so wouldn't be able to claim on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

This wouldn't come about and the policy can't be valid owing to the nature of insurance contracts.

viz.

Unless the 3rd party is a co-owner of the car or house they don't have an insurable interest on the property so I can't see any insurance Company giving such a policy and certainly not paying out on it.

Also

If they were able to get a policy it would be useless to you as you aren't a party to the contract for insurance and so wouldn't be able to claim on it.

If the policy is valid and on that assumption is the right to refund by the third party valid?

Lantus wrote: »
    If the policy is valid and on that assumption is the right to refund by the third party valid?

I'm not sure I follow you, I don't think the policy could be valid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Lantus wrote: »
    a third party without my knowledge makes full payment on this policy without me knowing or being involved.
    Does this happen to be your bank?

Victor wrote: »
    Does this happen to be your bank?

Haha I hadn't thought of that, different matter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement