Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outside assistance....

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

What about having a watch & HRM while racing, its spewing out important info on how close to the red or into it you are.
    I would consider someone who had a coach there to give splits as better prepared.It is giving no physical advantage only giving information which is free for anyone to have and theres the difference. One is interferring in the race directlu

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

tunney wrote: »
    It's in most (proper races). In Roth for example they had some quad bikes loaded with spare wheels and just swapped them out for punctures (you got your wheel back at the end), like road racing neutral mechanics.

thats awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

It's in most (proper races). In Roth for example they had some quad bikes loaded with spare wheels and just swapped them out for punctures (you got your wheel back at the end), like road racing neutral mechanics.

Austria 70.3 had set locations with the same... spare wheels, nice ones too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Oryx wrote: »
    IM 70.3 UK will have bike mechanics on the course to help competitors with any bike issues, which is something I haven't heard of before.

Edit:From the ITU rules:

good luck waiting ;-) i rember catriona morrison had to wait close to 1 hour when her chain snaped at Im lanzarotte and she was the leading pro in the race .
    so not really sure how we could say a service like that is available for everybody. if their is 2 bike mechanics availabel. Its great that they out their but it does not make it available for everybody statistically speaking. (1500 athletes 2 mechanics so is a cotnaradiciton to the rule )
    so why not allow outside assitence to increase the chance that people get help ?
    They want to provide it but the rescouces are not available.

Same thing why should you not be able to give water to an athelte that struggles in the heat and could get a stroke ( very bad publicity for triathlon when it happens) . or give a pair of gloves to one that is close to hypothermia.
    This could help to make the spot saver which should be the ultimate goal of the sport.

Unless we say athetes need to carry all their food drinks with them and their will be no aid stations a totalt time trial start starting from the swim ( not happinging just in case you think thats a great idea ) I cant see why outside assitance is bad.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

peter kern wrote: »
    good luck waiting ;-)
    Not something I would ever hold my breath for. Ill have a toolkit.

Same thing why should you not be able to give water to an athelte
    In IMAT people around the town were handing out water and fruit, and even beer, to competitors. By all accounts a few hundred should have been DQd for taking it then. ;)
    Unless we say athetes need to carry all their food drinks with them and their will be no aid stations a total time trial start starting from the swim ( not happinging just in case you think thats a great idea ) I cant see why outside assitance is bad.
    Because you'll get those who overuse the privilege and ruin it for everyone. The organisers clearly turn a blind eye to AG race fodder getting handed drinks etc, but its still officially against the rules, because it prevents overt help from an organised crew.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Oryx wrote: »
    Because you'll get those who overuse the privilege and ruin it for everyone. The organisers clearly turn a blind eye to AG race fodder getting handed drinks etc, but its still officially against the rules, because it prevents overt help from an organised crew.

It's also there to protect the athletes I would have thought. Somebody hands you a bottle - you have no idea what could be in it!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

It's also there to protect the athletes I would have thought. Somebody hands you a bottle - you have no idea what could be in it!
    True.

*shudder*

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Carrick on Suir tri a good few years back.

Young lads handing out cups of water..... sourced from the river directly.

I would have thought we dont even have an idea what could be in it if we buy a burger in the supermarket ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I would have thought we dont even have an idea what could be in it if we buy a burger in the supermarket ;-)

Everyone knows what's in it, its just the label that's wrong :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Bull$hit utter Bull$hit.

Don't know where you got your info from or from whom.
    But that never happened

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭longshank

hope it wasnt from anywhere near the swim start!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mr Tango

I experienced this in Lanzarote last week. No Coke at the aid stations and the amount of athletes getting Coke from spectators (who I assume they knew) was crazy.

Did I mind - not really, I was just jealous my wife was on the wrong side of the road and I could get her to go and get me some!!

At the same time can we just pick and choose some of the rules?

If I was at the top end of the field in an Irish race and someone was doing this I would not be happy. At Tri An Mhi there was a guy in front of me in the run - think I was about 5th or 6th at the time and he had two lads cycling beside him effectively pacing him and feeding him. they would disappear and come back. I tried to ignore but after the third time I called the guy on the bike over and explained the rules. In fairness it was ignorance and they didn't do it again - he did offer me some food though! As soon as they stopped I passed the guy and never seen him again so there is an impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Valentia Tri in 2010...........big barrel of water at the top of the hill at the run turnaround.......about 20 cups in total.........lads collecting discarded cups to reuse........multiple reuse of cups by many athletes.......it was so hot I don't think anyone cared........I didn't

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭longshank

Ironman Switzerland-
    "Receiving food or drinks from personal supporters is only allowed at two aid station on the bike course and at three aid stations on the run course. At the following stations personal supporters are allowed to hand you food. Positions are well marked and indicated."

longshank wrote: »
    Ironman Switzerland-
    "Receiving food or drinks from personal supporters is only allowed at two aid station on the bike course and at three aid stations on the run course. At the following stations personal supporters are allowed to hand you food. Positions are well marked and indicated."

that makes sense on the bike for saftey reasons
    but for the run why not, just as well allow it , if you already water it down at certain points. and again we could argue for safty reasons its safer if atheltes can use the food they are used too

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

that makes sense on the bike for saftey reasons
    but for the run why not, just as well allow it , if you already water it down at certain points. and again we could argue for safty reasons its safer if atheltes can use the food they are used too

Special needs in any IM is usually off the track. There is "a slip road" and those that want to use special needs (either bags or supports) are led away from the main crowd. If its at any point you will have people abruptly changing lines quickly and cutting across other athletes unexpectedly.

Advertisement