Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of a pint in Cork City.

Options
  • 27-05-2013 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

I went into Soho at 19.30 p.m Friday evening and was charged €5 for a pint of Carlsberg. With those kind of prices its no wonder the place was empty. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭S Barrett

Ludo wrote: »

Thanks for that:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

S Barrett wrote: »
    I went into Soho at 19.30 p.m Friday evening and was charged €5 for a pint of Carlsberg. With those kind of prices its no wonder the place was empty. :(

Every pub in Cork is empty at 1930 on a Friday. Large bars only appear busy after 9. There are plenty of places to get inexpensive pints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

I was in Soho a few weeks ago on a Friday night and there were so many €50 notes flying over the counter, fecking price went up to €5.25 at midnight :eek:, I was under the impression that people were looking for value but I'm not anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Vodoo night club....€5.10 for a 330ml bottle of heinken!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Jesus Christ, do we have to go through this every few weeks? The price of a night out isn't cheap. We all know this. If you do not like it, do something about it and do not pay those prices. Stay in. But stop whinging about it on an internet forum.

Re prices going up after 12 - well you can pay €10-€15 to go to a club after midnight and still pay the same as you do in the pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

rob316 wrote: »
    Vodoo night club....€5.10 for a 330ml bottle of heinken!

now that is a rip off..
    When more then likely their buying them in Musgrave 20 for 25 euro or Tesco 20 for 20 when they do the offers,,

either way their making a profit of around 70 to 80 euro on Heineken Bottles

I just stick to my local 3.10 for a pint 3.50 for a bulmers

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

Cork24 wrote: »
    now that is a rip off..
    When more then likely their buying them in Musgrave 20 for 25 euro or Tesco 20 for 20 when they do the offers,,

either way their making a profit of around 70 to 80 euro on Heineken Bottles

I just stick to my local 3.10 for a pint 3.50 for a bulmers
    Your bulmers will be going up 10cent in June.
    Which local bar is this, no point not naming. All very open here+

my local is in Blarney Street down below the Chinese take away,

its call Horgan a real old mans bar, if your looking for young women / Men then its the wrong place to do some pulling

Cork24 wrote: »
    my local is in Blarney Street down below the Chinese take away,

its call Horgan a real old mans bar, if your looking for young women / Men then its the wrong place to do some pulling

Mines up the road from you, Kennedys, also under a Chinese takeaway :D

• Advertisement

omahaid wrote: »
    Mines up the road from you, Kennedys, also under a Chinese takeaway :D

what kind are the pints

Ha. Kennedys is my local also.

Pints are fair, I normally drink Carling which is cheap but not the best. Kennedys was a a lovely pub when I first moved to the area (in 2000) but then I left the area for a few years for work and when I moved back they had the place completely changed.

It's grand for a few quiet pints though which is all I'm interested in these days anyway :D

gimmick, we must be neighbours?

Ya, can't live to far away anyway. Though I suspect if you bought in the area in the last few years we may live in the same estate!!

Ha, I can guess where you are from that :D. I'm a lot closer to the grotto then that (if I'm right that is).

Ya, you are :)

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭clerk

l was in Soho last Sunday night during Christmas and it was fierce quiet.

Pints are now €5.20 !! A pint of Bulmers was €5.45 and a long kneck of Bulmers was €5.75 !!! gone mad altogether. Too steep for me now, will be moving on.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭corkonion

there is great value to be had in cork now, the birdie bar in Reardens do pints and longneck bottles for under 3 quid, the brog is cheap and lots of places now do dealz.. preachers does a pint of the day for around 3 sqid and sober lane has different deals daily... if you want good value its there, if you want to pay celtic tiger prices...thats available too

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

My favourite was finding some pub in Shandon that looked like some auld boy's living room and they do 3 pints of Beamish for a tenner. Was a good spot to watch the rugby too, can't remember it's name though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

The woodford do half price on everything (!!) on mondays and tuesdays.
    You buy a beer at full proce and your next pint is free.
    Nearly fell off me stool when the bar staff told me

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

horgan_p wrote: »
    The woodford do half price on everything (!!) on mondays and tuesdays.
    You buy a beer at full proce and your next pint is free.
    Nearly fell off me stool when the bar staff told me

That is great,they do a good pint too,even when its jammers.

clerk wrote: »

Pints are now €5.20 !! A pint of Bulmers was €5.45 and a long kneck of Bulmers was €5.75 !!! gone mad altogether. Too steep for me now, will be moving on.

I was charged €5.50 Stephen's day for a pint of Heineken in there, Last time ill darken there door, supposed to be a posh place nothing but riff raff in there.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I was in the Oiliver Plunkett a few weeks ago on a Thursday. The price of the pint went from €4.80 to €5 at 9pm. What was that about?! I couldn't see the justification for the increase, whereas I can see it in a late bar after midnight or something. Crazy carry on to be honest.

SeaFields wrote: »
    I was in the Oiliver Plunkett a few weeks ago on a Thursday. The price of the pint went from €4.80 to €5 at 9pm. What was that about?! I couldn't see the justification for the increase, whereas I can see it in a late bar after midnight or something. Crazy carry on to be honest.

Monty needs the money, think of Monty:(

Was in The Woolshed over Christmas for a few matches. €5.05 a pint. Must be the most annoying price I have ever seen.

I slummed it after that and went for Fosters which is €4, and a pitcher is €10.85.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

I was there last sat night,5 euro for a bottle of coors light and the crowd is gone to the dogs,they have really lowered the age there which is a pity as it was a good bar once.Alot of people have moved on to electric now.

rob316 wrote: »
    I was charged €5.50 Stephen's day for a pint of Heineken in there, Last time ill darken there door, supposed to be a posh place nothing but riff raff in there.:mad:

Jesus !!! €5.50 !!! when did all this over €5 pricing come in ? l generally go to town roughly once a Month and drink Carlsberg, can never remember paying over €5 until Soho recently.

Are a lot of the pubs over €5 now ?

Also, in general the night l was out town was dead, apparently the night of the storm town was deserted and the night after was supposed to be dead as well a taxi driver was telling me. I was talking to a buddy and his 2 brothers were out 2 nights before Xmas and it was very quiet too l'm told. That's 5 quiet nights over the Xmas. We seem to be talking about the quietest Xmas in town in the last 30 Years !!! l can't remember it ever being as quiet as this Xmas ???

Are people voting with their feet or what ?

corkonion wrote: »
    there is great value to be had in cork now, the birdie bar in Reardens do pints and longneck bottles for under 3 quid, the brog is cheap and lots of places now do dealz.. preachers does a pint of the day for around 3 sqid and sober lane has different deals daily... if you want good value its there, if you want to pay celtic tiger prices...thats available too

Hi --- thanks but l'm not really looking for Daily deals in the City or pints during my working week. I live in Blackrock and there are plenty of decent locals where l can get a pint at a reasonable amount.

I generally head to town on a Saturday once a month to meet mates from various parts of the City but at €11 for a round they can forget about it.

Jesus !!! €5.50 !!! when did all this over €5 pricing come in ? l generally go to town roughly once a Month and drink Carlsberg, can never remember paying over €5 until Soho recently.

Are a lot of the pubs over €5 now ?

Also, in general the night l was out town was dead, apparently the night of the storm town was deserted and the night after was supposed to be dead as well a taxi driver was telling me. I was talking to a buddy and his 2 brothers were out 2 nights before Xmas and it was very quiet too l'm told. That's 5 quiet nights over the Xmas. We seem to be talking about the quietest Xmas in town in the last 30 Years !!! l can't remember it ever being as quiet as this Xmas ???

Are people voting with their feet or what ?

You know I never really take much notice of the price when Im out an about, but I handed the girl behind the bar a fiver and she just kept her hand out and said €5.50 it is. That really struck me much the same as when I got charged €5.10 for 330ml bottle of Heineken in Voodoo. I wasn't there stephens day out of choice, family I don't see often were there watching the Liverpool and man city game.

And no I didn't give the girl an earful and whinge, its **** all to do with her.

Like I said I'll certainly vote with my feet with regards Soho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

I was in Dublin over Xmas. I bought a Guinness in the Shelbourne Hotel and it was SIX EURO!

Advertisement