Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of a pint in Cork City.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Meant to add above, was at a wedding in the highly over rated Castlemartyr resort at the weekend and a pint was €5.70. The wife was on vodka & coke and that was €7.95. Criminal.

Myself and the buddies have said that this year there will be a lot more visiting done as town is so expensive between taxis and booze.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

gimmick wrote: »
    Meant to add above, was at a wedding in the highly over rated Castlemartyr resort at the weekend and a pint was €5.70. The wife was on vodka & coke and that was €7.95. Criminal.

Myself and the buddies have said that this year there will be a lot more visiting done as town is so expensive between taxis and booze.

Hopefully Wetherspoons opening will bring sense and value to the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

It seems like as a lot of places get quieter they have increased the price,i remember going to the bodega a few months ago and the bottle of coors light was up to 5 euro and 5 cent which as the poster above said is the most awkward price re change etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Loire wrote: »
    I was in Dublin over Xmas. I bought a Guinness in the Shelbourne Hotel and it was SIX EURO!

And you are surprised by that? It is the Shelbourne after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

ofcork wrote: »
    It seems like as a lot of places get quieter they have increased the price,i remember going to the bodega a few months ago and the bottle of coors light was up to 5 euro and 5 cent which as the poster above said is the most awkward price re change etc.

For some reason the pub industry tends to react to falling sales by raising prices - contrary to pretty much any other sales industry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

For some reason the pub industry tends to react to falling sales by raising prices - contrary to pretty much any other sales industry.

Bar Irish Rail!

Crane Lane the other night it was €5.05 for Corona, I'll rarely be going to pubs much nowadays with prices creeping up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

To be fair, anyone buying long necks in a pub is asking to be ripped off as over the years, it has become common place to charge way more per mil for the same beer in a longneck than on draught.
    Why do they get away with this?
    Because people keep buying them !

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭clerk

For some reason the pub industry tends to react to falling sales by raising prices

Seems to be the policy but is going to backfire bigtime this time around, people simply don't have the money anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

To be fair, anyone buying long necks in a pub is asking to be ripped off as over the years, it has become common place to charge way more per mil for the same beer in a longneck than on draught.
    Why do they get away with this?
    Because people keep buying them !

Ah yeah, I wasn't really complaining about the price, I just wanted something easy to drink. That and Corona ain't got on tap so not much choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

I avoid anywhere where the pints are a fiver or more, works out grand.

Beamish is usually less than €4, craft stuff less than a fiver in most places I'd go to. Pint of Mi Daza in the Oval the other night, €4-I'm alright with that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭askU

Is the cost of running a pub going up?

askU wrote: »
    Is the cost of running a pub going up?

Absolutely no way they are. Way down for a City centre pub if it is being run properly.

Rates are flat.

Rents are way down.

Property prices are way down.

Wages are down.

Taxes are up.

If they're locked into a lease any pub owner worth his salt could negotiate a rent decrease in this economy.

General running costs are down and l mean deflation over the last 4 Years.

Any pub owner worth his salt could easily reduce costs in this economy rather than just loading the issue onto the consumer. It's just pure greed, closely followed by sheer stupidity. A bit like the property bubble.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Ludo wrote: »
    And you are surprised by that? It is the Shelbourne after all.
    Over 6.50 for a pint bottle of Bulmers in any pub in Temple Bar. Absolute rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

This is why Wetherspoons will be great. It'll will sort alot of these fellas out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I don't get why everyone thinks the arrival of Wetherspoons will herald cheaper drinks everywhere. Tesco/Dunnes/Supervalue/Superquinn etc didn't become discount retailers when Aldi and Lidl arrived. Sure, pubs might have certain promotions where they match the prices of Wetherspoons, but I doubt there will be a significant reduction in prices because of a couple of cheaper pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,246 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I like the Woolshed but 5.05 for pint is just stupid. Girl behind bar apologised. Not her fault and I sadly its these people who get the flak.

I mostly drink Stout, so aint too bad but still can be pricey in Nightclubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Unclebumble

clerk wrote: »
    Absolutely no way they are. Way down for a City centre pub if it is being run properly.

Rates are flat.

Rents are way down.

Property prices are way down.

Wages are down.

Taxes are up.

If they're locked into a lease any pub owner worth his salt could negotiate a rent decrease in this economy.

General running costs are down and l mean deflation over the last 4 Years.

Any pub owner worth his salt could easily reduce costs in this economy rather than just loading the issue onto the consumer. It's just pure greed, closely followed by sheer stupidity. A bit like the property bubble.

Not correct!

Rates haven't reduced any and are still too high

Reducing your rent is easier said than done. Many landlords still won't or can't reduce their rents and there's nothing you can do about it.

Wage rates haven't been reduced.

Costs such as stock, tv subscriptions, exemptions etc have not been reduced.

Costs for publicans haven't been reduced.

Some people have always complained about the price of a pint and they always will.

Not correct!
    Many landlords still won't or can't reduce their rents and there's nothing you can do about it.

wow - you've blown my argument right out there with that brilliant observation, double ballered all the way kid. :D

wow - you've blown my argument right out there with that brilliant observation, double ballered all the way kid. :D

So if a landlord won't reduce their rent what is the tenant meant to do then?

Also what does "ballered" mean?

• Advertisement

So if a landlord won't reduce their rent what is the tenant meant to do then?

If you ask anybody to take a pay increase, supplier etc. they generally say no.

It's called running a business, you negotiate as many businesses have.

There are legal obligations of course but there already have been legal cases taken and the landlord has lost on the basis that the request is reasonable.

Or you could play hardball and tell him the business will close if costs aren't cut. If the business goes into liquidation and the Company is Limited the landlord will get fcuk all and will be left with an empty shell which he/she will have to rent out with probably a 50% decrease in Cork City.

Generally running costs, stationary, cleaning are all down. Just tell them to take 10% less and if they're not happy get a new supplier.

Tell the staff to take a 10% decrease if wages aren't down as most businesses have done already.

Get a proper lobby going and tell the drink suppliers the industry is going down the drain and they need to drop prices. The hotel industry successfully negotiated a 9% VAT rate.

Just stop passing every problem lazily onto the consumer.

Also what does "ballered" mean?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=baller

baller
    A thug that has "made it" to the big time. Originally refered ball players that made it out of the streets to make millions as a pro ball player, but now is used to describe any thug that is living large.
    Pain is a part of the game when you're a baller.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

I think most people, supplies and others would be delighted to take a pay increase. I can't imagine why any would say no.

Doesn't seem to the best way to run a business though, negotiating up.

There are legal obligations of course but there already have been legal cases taken and the landlord has lost on the basis that the request is reasonable.

Or you could play hardball and tell him the business will close if costs aren't cut. If the business goes into liquidation and the Company is Limited the landlord will get fcuk all and will be left with an empty shell which he/she will have to rent out with probably a 50% decrease in Cork City.

Generally running costs, stationary, cleaning are all down. Just tell them to take 10% less and if they're not happy get a new supplier.

Tell the staff to take a 10% decrease if wages aren't down as most businesses have done already.

Get a proper lobby going and tell the drink suppliers the industry is going down the drain and they need to drop prices. The hotel industry successfully negotiated a 9% VAT rate.

Just stop passing every problem lazily onto the consumer.

Sounds nice - meanwhile in the real world...

Taking legal action against a landlord to reduce rent is costly and time consuming. Not nearly as easy as you say. Neither is a favorable result.

Unfortunately stationary is not a major cost in the pub business - alcohol is, and the major suppliers haven't reduced their prices. The opposite, they have increased their prices.

Again, you can only ask the staff to reduce their wages. Many can't afford a decrease and you have very few options open to you if they refuse.

Whilst the reduction in vat is welcome that was granted by the government nit from a commercial business like Heineken, Diageo etc.

Stop lazily blaming the price of a pint on "greedy publicans" - there are other factors involved.

Lastly, there are publicans who are greedy, there a publicans who operate their pubs poorly and there are publicans going out of business. This is normal in the commercial world - there are plenty of other industries that suffer the same problems.
    What a publican charges is a commercial decision, one which will either make his business a success or a failure.
    If you object to that price, that is entirely you right, moaning because it's too much is entirely your right.
    I just wanted to add some balance and fairness to the discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

Faith wrote: »
    I don't get why everyone thinks the arrival of Wetherspoons will herald cheaper drinks everywhere. Tesco/Dunnes/Supervalue/Superquinn etc didn't become discount retailers when Aldi and Lidl arrived. Sure, pubs might have certain promotions where they match the prices of Wetherspoons, but I doubt there will be a significant reduction in prices because of a couple of cheaper pubs.

It would hit the 9-10 trade where people have one or two before moving onto a club. Into Wetherspoons for €4 pints, watch match of the day and off to a club.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Are wetherspoons really going to charge a euro less than other pubs which they are competing with? I don't think so. I would be surprised if they were any more than 30 cent cheaper. Max 50 cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

was out for dinner the other night and afterwards we popped into the old oak. found a bill in my bag the day after pint of Guinness was 4.60, Corona was 4.50 a bottle of Heineken and a bottle of miller was 4 euro each.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

99.9% of publicans are greedy and think in terms of how high they can charge and still get away with it! The unfortunate thing is enough people pay the prices to keep them in clover. People need to vote with their feet if they want to see prices coming down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Cape Clear wrote: »
    99.9% of publicans are greedy and think in terms of how high they can charge and still get away with it!

11% of Irish pubs have closed since 2005. The rest have an average debt of €270,000 each. Maybe that's why they can't give beer away.

• Advertisement

Sounds nice - meanwhile in the real world...

Taking legal action against a landlord to reduce rent is costly and time consuming. Not nearly as easy as you say. Neither is a favorable result.

Unfortunately stationary is not a major cost in the pub business - alcohol is, and the major suppliers haven't reduced their prices. The opposite, they have increased their prices.

Again, you can only ask the staff to reduce their wages. Many can't afford a decrease and you have very few options open to you if they refuse.

Whilst the reduction in vat is welcome that was granted by the government nit from a commercial business like Heineken, Diageo etc.

Stop lazily blaming the price of a pint on "greedy publicans" - there are other factors involved.

Lastly, there are publicans who are greedy, there a publicans who operate their pubs poorly and there are publicans going out of business. This is normal in the commercial world - there are plenty of other industries that suffer the same problems.
    What a publican charges is a commercial decision, one which will either make his business a success or a failure.
    If you object to that price, that is entirely you right, moaning because it's too much is entirely your right.
    I just wanted to add some balance and fairness to the discussion.

Good post. :)

l'm delighted to have a proper debate about over €5 pints. What you say is valid but my basic point is l'm a disgruntled punter who won't pay over €5 for a pint.

I'm amazed that this issue hasn't got more attention in general. I reckon it's going to become a huge issue and publican's that think it won't have their heads buried in the sand.

I'm off to town tonight to find myself a new local with pints under €5.;)

I think the publicans need to have an informed discussion with the likes of Diageo etc., you can't get water out a stone albeit you'll get plenty of water in a pint.:D

What's next the €6 pint/bottle, that is madness and unsustainable even in the short term !!!

Advertisement