Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of a pint in Cork City.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭clerk

http://www.breakingnews.ie/business/lifestyle-sports-threatens-store-closures-over-rent-621388.html

31/01/2014 - 16:40:17Back to Business Home
    Lifestyle Sports is being accused of using staff as "leverage in a game of poker".
    The sporting chain is reportedly threatening to close up to ten of its stores if landlords refuse to lower rents.
    Mandate, the trade union, said workers have been told they will be transferred to other locations if the closures go ahead.
    The union's Gerry Light believes the row is irresponsible, and insensitive towards staff:
    "We intend to write to the company … to establish the full facts, and ensure that workers … are treated fairly."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

clerk wrote: »
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/business/lifestyle-sports-threatens-store-closures-over-rent-621388.html

31/01/2014 - 16:40:17Back to Business Home
    Lifestyle Sports is being accused of using staff as "leverage in a game of poker".
    The sporting chain is reportedly threatening to close up to ten of its stores if landlords refuse to lower rents.
    Mandate, the trade union, said workers have been told they will be transferred to other locations if the closures go ahead.
    The union's Gerry Light believes the row is irresponsible, and insensitive towards staff:
    "We intend to write to the company … to establish the full facts, and ensure that workers … are treated fairly."

What on earth has that got to do with the price of porter?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

a new low last night - €5.70 for a pint of tiger in BDSM.

Pity , cause I like that bar, like the music and the crowd.But I just can't afford that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

horgan_p wrote: »
    a new low last night - €5.70 for a pint of tiger in BDSM.

Pity , cause I like that bar, like the music and the crowd.But I just can't afford that.

Do they do the shnakey price hike as the night wears on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Do they do the shnakey price hike as the night wears on?

don't know but 5.30 for a bottle of miller. I made sure it lasted a bit

• Advertisement

evilivor wrote: »
    What on earth has that got to do with the price of porter?

if you read the thred...you'll get what it refers to. Basically we're being charged over €5's for a pint and all related business costs are either down or should be down.

One of the items discussed was rent and l was saying landlords need to drop their rents and some people thought this was impossible. Some businesses are tackling landlords over Celtic tiger rent. This link is the proof basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,248 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Anything over 5e for a drink is a disgrace imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

John O'Sullivan's in Douglas - Guinness €4.65, Heineken €5.00 - Fairly f**king expensive. Perhaps some pubs in Cork CITY CENTRE perhaps might get away with this but in Douglas?
    Fair enough they refurbished the place during the boom times and are now trying to pay it off but sweet jesus...no thanks.

John O'Sullivan's in Douglas

= Celtic Tiger era poser pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

= Celtic Tiger era poser pub.

wish I could disagree with you there but I think you're bang on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

4,80 sat night for a bottle of miller in the oval

• Registered Users Posts: 8,485 ✭✭✭Markcheese

4,80 sat night for a bottle of miller in the oval

Anyone know how much it actually costs the pub for a bottle of beer...(probably more than the supermarket in fairness) No cost for taps,for glasses ,very quick and easy to serve ...
    Always pisses me off to pay nearly a fiver for a small bottle..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    Anyone know how much it actually costs the pub for a bottle of beer...(probably more than the supermarket in fairness) No cost for taps,for glasses ,very quick and easy to serve ...
    Always pisses me off to pay nearly a fiver for a small bottle..

This.:mad:
    If anything bottles should be cheaper. Money for old rope for the pub trade. I always buy pints, unless there's something on bottle that I can't get otherwise. Bottles are a complete rip-off esp. the mass produced p*ss water that is Bud/Heineken.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,485 ✭✭✭Markcheese

The gas thing is a bottle of miller or bud or corrona (330ml) ect is often the same price as a bottle of spaten or budvar or erdinger...(500ml) ,
    And since i usually drink bottles to avoid getting locked when everyone else is sinking pints,I stick with the crap...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

This.:mad:
    If anything bottles should be cheaper. Money for old rope for the pub trade. I always buy pints, unless there's something on bottle that I can't get otherwise. Bottles are a complete rip-off esp. the mass produced p*ss water that is Bud/Heineken.

Re bottles being the price they are - pretty sure the price on those is bumped up to make up for the crap margins elsewhere.

Pubs are businesses. They will go by how much demand is there. They are not benevolent operations designed for the well being of their customers. They are there for the owners to make money.

If you do not want to drink a long neck of Bud, then don't. If someone else wants to, that is their choice/issue/problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭kuro2k

5.10 EUR for a pint of Carlsberg in the Mutton Lane, IMO anything over 5 is a disgrace

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

gimmick wrote: »
    Re bottles being the price they are - pretty sure the price on those is bumped up to make up for the crap margins elsewhere.

Ditto for minerals, peanuts and the like. If they result in the price of plain being kept down then I'm happy ;)

The thing I don't get is the pints/bottles are going over €5 and for the majority of people money is tight and a session on €5 pints with taxis, chipper/restaurant (whatever) is very expensive.

During the boom a lot of people rolled into pubs and paid whatever and for a lot of people they probably didn't even consider what they were spending.

But now not only is disposable income way way back, loads of people struggling to pay the mortgage and the price of pints is going up and up, it's absolute madness.

Say you were meeting a gang of say 6 buddies in town, they're a good chance one of them might have lost their job ( we'll call him Rob ) so all of a sudden you're saying you can't meet up because Rob is unemployed and a night out is unaffordable to him and you know what it's bloody expensive for me and the lads anyway so lets get a couple of slabs in and have a party. Say the party goes well then next week becomes a party in someone else's gaff and suddenly no one's going to town. I know loads of younger people now that on a Saturday night are drinking 4 cans or some spirits and then heading into town at 10ish, so before that time there's no crowds in town. Loads of people are at it.

The pubs are shooting themselves in the foot.

They need to bring their pricing in line with the real economy ( not the Celtic Tiger ). The trade during Christmas just past is a sign of things to come for the City centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Before everyone moans about prices here and the old "what do tourists think" - prices outside Ireland are HORRENDOUS.

Standard bar in Birmingham with crap service £4.80 - about €6. Real crap pubs were a little cheaper at £3.90 (weatherspoons - most boring pub in the world) to about £4.20.

USA - in Cleveland - mid market city. $7.50 - $8.50 PLUS tax PLUS they expect a tip. (about €8 all told) Again, nothing touristy - just standard bars.

So pints under or about a fiver - quite good value these days (especially considering the costs of business)

BTW -loads of pubs for sale, plenty of closed down ones too if anyone thinks they can make a living under €4 a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

sandin wrote: »
    Before everyone moans about prices here and the old "what do tourists think" - prices outside Ireland are HORRENDOUS.

Standard bar in Birmingham with crap service £4.80 - about €6. Real crap pubs were a little cheaper at £3.90 (weatherspoons - most boring pub in the world) to about £4.20.

USA - in Cleveland - mid market city. $7.50 - $8.50 PLUS tax PLUS they expect a tip. (about €8 all told) Again, nothing touristy - just standard bars.

So pints under or about a fiver - quite good value these days (especially considering the costs of business)

BTW -loads of pubs for sale, plenty of closed down ones too if anyone thinks they can make a living under €4 a pint.

From yesterday's Irish Times:

…according to a Forfás report to be published tomorrow.

It examined prices over the period 2008 to 2012 and then compared them to the 18 eurozone members and while prices in the Republic have fallen, they are on average almost 14 per cent higher than the eurozone average with Ireland remaining the most expensive state for healthcare as well as tobacco and alcohol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

kuro2k wrote: »
    5.10 EUR for a pint of Carlsberg in the Mutton Lane, IMO anything over 5 is a disgrace

What's this €5.10 nonsense in Benny's pubs about?

Stupid fuccking price, fiver is bad enough, but the extra ten cent is enraging.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Living in Germany at the moment, and a €4 pint is expensive. €2 to €3 is the normal going rate. Cheaper in many other places, and don't even get me started on the Czech Republic...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

B*llocks. Pints don't cost that much in The UK at all. £4 a pint in a Birmingham Whetherspoons?

No chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭theglobe

No wonder pubs are closing down. It's the one product people get all uppity about if it increases by about 20p. Any other product none of ye would even notice or care. Its the principle, the principle, ya sure it is. Enjoy your next trip to Tesco and your next online book order.

I'm not having this "moaning" about the pints stuff, they're got bloody expensive and the pubs that are charging over a €5 for taking the piss.

As for your comparison game, I was in Poland about 5 Years ago and outside the tourist areas you could get a pint for between €1.20 to €1.50. A buddy of mine lives in India and says you can get all you can drink for €10 a session.

In all fairness that's a pointless comparison.

In my experience apart from London pints are way cheaper in the UK albeit Sterling is strong at the minute so it's evened up a bit. There are loads of pubs up in the North of England that have very cheap prices, off the top off my head I was paying £1.80 for a Heino in Liverpool in '08 and spirits were about half the price too at the time.

I was in Derry in '09 and a pub was selling £2 Carlsberg.

theglobe wrote: »
    No wonder pubs are closing down. It's the one product people get all uppity about if it increases by about 20p. Any other product none of ye would even notice or care. Its the principle, the principle, ya sure it is. Enjoy your next trip to Tesco and your next online book order.

People are taking notice of all prices. That's my point.

You want proof, you mentioned Tesco, Tesco lost huge market share in Q4 2013 to the likes of Aldi and Lidl. In fact they've just pinched one of top Aldi executives as a result. They're another crowd that take the piss with their "special offer" pricing and they're paying the price.

At the end of the Day, people aren't stupid, they know when they are being ripped off and they respond accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Living in Germany at the moment, and a €4 pint is expensive. €2 to €3 is the normal going rate. Cheaper in many other places, and don't even get me started on the Czech Republic...

I can get a pint (well 500ml) for 4zl here (less than a euro) a bottle of same beer again 500ml 1.79zl. 40c in the local shop (with deposit back on an empty bottle). I know comparison with cost of living etc. Went to Krakow before Christmas and got charged 15zl for same pint!

Apologies for going a bit off topic here, but interesting article here on peoples spending trends...

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/david-mcwilliams/how-shopping-in-aldi-and-lidl-is-now-sign-of-common-sense-for-middle-class-29980444.html

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Karmella

My gripe is the price places charge for NON-alcoholic beer! Was in sober lane on Sunday, 5 euro for a bottle of n.a. Erdinger. I mean WTF?

Definitely non alcoholic drinks are the most expensive, obviously trying to make up for the excise they have to pay on all the alcohol.

Total rip off.

• Advertisement

I see the Parnell is closed now.

Advertisement