Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of a pint in Cork City.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

MajorMax wrote: »
    I was in a bar in Cork city centre over the weekend at 3 in the afternoon. I ordered a 330 Ml bottle of beer and a glass of red wine for the current wife, barman asked for €14. joke is on them though barman gave me the change of €50, I had only given him a €20

Before the high horse brigade jumps on me, I've worked in bars, if you don't know the difference between blue and brown, get another job. Maybe don't be an electrician though

Just because you jump on your stance of "oh, I was a barman" doesn't make it OK. People make mistakes, he didn't spot it, you did. You could have chosen to not be an asshole and given him a heads up. Scummy of you to steal.

And normally I'd agree that 14 is a lot for a round of 2 drinks, but of course you just said "a red wine" which gives no clue as to if you got a really decent red wine for the price.

Either way, utter dickish behaviour on your part.
    Sofa King wrote: »
    Isn't that illegal to have a price hike throughout the day? As far as I know, the price they set at midnight is meant to be the price for the next 24 hours, then they can change it again from midnight after that.

Obviously no one is enforcing this.

For what it is worth, the average price for a drink where I live in Galway is €4, even last night I had a Guinness, the wife had Vodka & 7UP and it cost €8.

Prices going up is not illegal, prices going down is. It was basically to make Happy Hour illegal. The price cannot fall below the first price paid at the start of the days trading, but can rise on that price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

What a self righteous post :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,313 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

gimmick wrote: »

Yeah, we're in a country where stroke-pulling, large and small, is looked upon favourably.

I have never come across a place as honest as boards.ie.

Everyone seems to be a saint.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Some pubs will make the barstaff shell out for a till that's down. There's nothing more soul-destroying than seeing half your wages for a shift disappear because of someone else's dishonesty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Exactly how is that self-righteous? I personally, would hand back the money if I noticed I had been given too much change. Mostly because while I'm not exactly the nicest person, I am also, not a thief and not a complete cnut. I have had every customer I gave too much change to hand back the money. Not that it's a mistake I make often.

It's not self-righteous to be honest. It's cnutish to look at it as "anyone would keep it". When in fact, most people don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

Also because of till shortages a lot of bars/restaurants ask the employee to hand over the money. My last job if there was ever a walkout/shortage it was the employees responsibility to pay it back in out of their wages.

I worked in countless pubs and clubs over the years and never once was I asked to stump up. And I worked for the Reidys at one stage!

Give the cash back by all means. No need to call a guy a cünt for not doing do. That's why it's self righteous.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭nuts86

clerk wrote: »
    I'm not having this "moaning" about the pints stuff, they're got bloody expensive and the pubs that are charging over a €5 for taking the piss.

As for your comparison game, I was in Poland about 5 Years ago and outside the tourist areas you could get a pint for between €1.20 to €1.50. A buddy of mine lives in India and says you can get all you can drink for €10 a session.

In all fairness that's a pointless comparison.

In my experience apart from London pints are way cheaper in the UK albeit Sterling is strong at the minute so it's evened up a bit. There are loads of pubs up in the North of England that have very cheap prices, off the top off my head I was paying £1.80 for a Heino in Liverpool in '08 and spirits were about half the price too at the time.

I was in Derry in '09 and a pub was selling £2 Carlsberg.

Get out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I have never come across a place as honest as boards.ie.

Everyone seems to be a saint.

Nobody's talking about being a saint. If people want to be dishonest that's their business. I find dishonestly a real indication of a person's character so personally I'd have no issue with someone disagreeing with it here. Each to their own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

MajorMax wrote: »
    I was in a bar in Cork city centre over the weekend at 3 in the afternoon. I ordered a 330 Ml bottle of beer and a glass of red wine for the current wife, barman asked for €14. joke is on them though barman gave me the change of €50, I had only given him a €20

Before the high horse brigade jumps on me, I've worked in bars, if you don't know the difference between blue and brown, get another job. Maybe don't be an electrician though

It's your own business if you want to keep the money or not. Back on topic seriously expensive drink prices in some of the bars in this city. Surprised nobody has started operating a sheebeen yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

Cape Clear wrote: »
    It's your own business if you want to keep the money or not. Back on topic seriously expensive drink prices in some of the bars in this city. Surprised nobody has started operating a sheebeen yet!

Are you serious? If you want to associate with the typical dregs a sheebeen would attract then lash away.

I would regularly head into an old man pub in the city center for quality cheap pints, and then over to a busier (more expensive) location later where the action is, for want of a better word. Complaining has never made any difference, ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

€5.75 for a pint of tiger last night.all others beer €5.20 . Draft cider €5.75 and they all go up after 12.00pm!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

wally1990 wrote: »
    €5.75 for a pint of tiger last night.all others beer €5.20 . Draft cider €5.75 and they all go up after 12.00pm!

Where?

Sorry thought i said where ha , it was in Soho

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

€5.30 for a pint of Heineken last night at half 8 in the crane lane, thought that was just the late night price. Increasingly lately I'm finding myself handing over a fiver only to find the staff hanging on for more.

Bdsm, vicarstown, the roundy,soho,crane lane,lost weekend(Long Island) the bailey are all minimum €5.00 a pint , most €5.20 , I wouldn't see change of €80-110 on a night out between taxis,bite to eat and drink. And i dont drink shots. It's just very expensive in the city to drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

I bought 3 pint bottles of cider (not bulmers, something else I can't remember the name of) and handed 20 Euro. It was 20.70 for the three! Normally drink shorts - did not expect that for 3 pints! It was in Deep South.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Pint bottles of Bulmers in Maldron bar 5.85

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

5:60 Budweiser pints last night in soho, only had the one and left.Around 1am was the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,313 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Deer wrote: »
    It was in Deep South.

I see they're putting up velvet ropes now and making ppl queue...making it look more flash than it actually is.

An indoor area that's 'ok', a few tin sheds out the back and sh*te music for the masses.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The Bailey do €3 pints of Tiger some nights, that's serious value. If you can stick the Bailey :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

I see they're putting up velvet ropes now and making ppl queue...making it look more flash than it actually is.

An indoor area that's 'ok', a few tin sheds out the back and sh*te music for the masses.
    Music is rubbish in there, I get the Q system from practicality side as people just kind gather around the door

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

I bought 3 pint bottles of cider (not bulmers, something else I can't remember the name of) and handed 20 Euro. It was 20.70 for the three! Normally drink shorts - did not expect that for 3 pints! It was in Deep South.

I'm betting it was Stonewell

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭fergie24

Paid 5:80 for a pint of Tom Creans a few weeks ago. Havent been back sense.

The thought of going to town for a night out at this stage pretty much repulses me at how much it will end up costing.

My regular suburban spot does 3 pints for €11, so will stick there when I do go out generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Was in Baltimore at the weekend, sitting out on a terrace watching the sun set over the bay. Bought a Heineken, pint bottle of Bulmers and a bottle of Heineken and got change back from 11 euros. I could have reached across the counter and hugged the guy! :)

Drinking in Cork city is very poor value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Theres no competition left in the city since the bars are all owned by the same group.

I refuse to pay that price for drink

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

who_me wrote: »
    Was in Baltimore at the weekend, sitting out on a terrace watching the sun set over the bay. Bought a Heineken, pint bottle of Bulmers and a bottle of Heineken and got change back from 11 euros. I could have reached across the counter and hugged the guy! :)

Drinking in Cork city is very poor value.
    I'm guessing you weren't charged for the bottle of Heineken...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

Theres no competition left in the city since the bars are all owned by the same group.

I refuse to pay that price for drink

The birdie bar in reardens when I was back at Christmas was a good shout! Not sure if they are still running that offer...

Advertisement