Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of a pint in Cork City.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

The birdie bar in reardens when I was back at Christmas was a good shout! Not sure if they are still running that offer...

7 days a week til 10pm. Beer and spirits

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'm guessing you weren't charged for the bottle of Heineken...

Me too, because I was in Baltimore in April and prices were quite close to city prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭major deegan

Excuse the ignorance but whats a pint of tiger????

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,451 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Excuse the ignorance but whats a pint of tiger????

This

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSQLLZi3P7JUS5D4LIZby63p4LhFvbZmQr4IWtgnJRiVuORMQzGonPBJg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Theres no competition left in the city since the bars are all owned by the same group.

I refuse to pay that price for drink

There's three large groups of bars. Most others are relatively independent or have a small collective buy, but not owned by the same people.

Reardens, Benny McCabes and the Cantillions are the big 3. anyone outside their groups tend to own one bar only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

thefloss wrote: »
    I'm betting it was Stonewell

Think that's the one alright ..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I feel the rise in 'craft' beers has contributed to the rise in prices for all beers. Initially only the 'craft' beers were a fiver or more but now the regulars have crept up to that point also.

Pretty shocked by some of the prices mentioned here, I don't go out much anymore and with that carry on I won't be bothering any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,313 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Was in one bar, think it was Sin E, a large bottle of non alco beer (had to drive home) was only €2.

Don't know if it was a promotion or what but more of this please.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

who_me wrote: »
    Was in Baltimore at the weekend, sitting out on a terrace watching the sun set over the bay. Bought a Heineken, pint bottle of Bulmers and a bottle of Heineken and got change back from 11 euros. I could have reached across the counter and hugged the guy! :)

Drinking in Cork city is very poor value.

Great spot. Id gladly pay the premium prices in parts of West Cork for the sheer beauty of the area.

Glandore is another spot where id gladly pay premium prices but never have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

I feel the rise in 'craft' beers has contributed to the rise in prices for all beers. Initially only the 'craft' beers were a fiver or more but now the regulars have crept up to that point also.

Pretty shocked by some of the prices mentioned here, I don't go out much anymore and with that carry on I won't be bothering any time soon.

Don't think so tbh.

The craft beers were only ever slightly more expensive than the macros, in most cases they were actually cheaper. The only macros that were ever cheap in my experience were Beamish and Murphy's (the best ones :D).

Now this my have changed, I've been out of the country for a while, so IDK. If this thread is anything to go by, coming back to Cork will be depressing. That is, until my homebrewing operations are in full swing again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Hogzy wrote: »
    Great spot. Id gladly pay the premium prices in parts of West Cork for the sheer beauty of the area.

Glandore is another spot where id gladly pay premium prices but never have to.

I think Glandore and Crookhaven best for outdoor pints. Good thing about Baltimore is there's often gigg's on. Fiddle festival tends to be exellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

I reckon you're right, it's a good way to test the market to see how much people are willing to pay.

First we saw the likes of lesser known bottled beers becoming more popular like Staropramen, Budvar, Pilsner Urquell etc...

Then the Ice Cold gimmicks by the larger companies became the 'in thing' for a while.

And now it's craft beers and the whole superiority complex that accompanies their consumers.

At the end of the day they're all marketing gimmicks, but people like gimmicks to feel special and different and are more than willing to pay a premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Great spot ;):rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

Last time I drank the price of a pint was about 3.30 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/655057/312987.jpg

That appears to be the prices for the new wetherspoons in Dublin. Hoping we get similar down here when they open eventually. 3.95 for a tetleys. I'll have that :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

And now it's craft beers and the whole superiority complex that accompanies their consumers.

I've been drinking almost exclusively craft beers since I started drinking (better value most of the time imo, tasty as fook), and this **** gets me down. I have no idea where this comes from, because the only place I hear about craft beer drinkers being elitist is on the internet. Yet to meet someone who is actually a "craft beer wanker" in real life, but I've experienced plenty of the reverse (people complaining about people who drink craft beer).

"Oh look at him with his fancy fecking gay beer, thinks he's great!". No, we don't give a flying fucck tbh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

I've been drinking almost exclusively craft beers since I started drinking (better value most of the time imo, tasty as fook), and this **** gets me down. I have no idea where this comes from, because the only place I hear about craft beer drinkers being elitist is on the internet. Yet to meet someone who is actually a "craft beer wanker" in real life, but I've experienced plenty of the reverse (people complaining about people who drink craft beer).

"Oh look at him with his fancy fecking gay beer, thinks he's great!". No, we don't give a flying fucck tbh!

"Craft beer wanker" fcukin' brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

I pay €3.50 for a pint of Carling or Touburg in my local 15 miles outside the city. No incentive whatsoever to drink in any city centre pub who don't have a cheap pint alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Cape Clear wrote: »
    I pay €3.50 for a pint of Carling or Touburg in my local 15 miles outside the city. No incentive whatsoever to drink in any city centre pub who don't have a cheap pint alternative.

€3.50 for a pint of Fosters in The Beggarman on Gillabbey Street and he's got a bloody cinema upstairs!!

https://www.facebook.com/thebeggarmanbar

Great for music too btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

byronbay2 wrote: »
    €3.50 for a pint of Fosters in The Beggarman on Gillabbey Street and he's got a bloody cinema upstairs!!

https://www.facebook.com/thebeggarmanbar

Great for music too btw.

Go around the cornor too the sportsmans or the friars walk tavern and you get 4 pints of fosters for €10.

• Advertisement

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Go around the cornor too the sportsmans or the friars walk tavern and you get 4 pints of fosters for €10.

Or indeed just across the road to The Abbey Tavern where a pint of Fosters will set you back €3.20. Nice pub and the price is definitely right!! Incidentally, they have a good band (don't know the name) playing in there on Monday nights - although supposedly some of the post-Pixies crowd in there 2 weeks ago didn't appreciate them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 hassy

Coughlans on Douglas Street, €3.20 a pint of Tuborg. It's also the IMRO national live music venue of the year 2014 and recieved a special commendation venue of the year award from Hotpress

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

OK, I know I'm being a bit of a hypocrite after I recently saying I won't go out in town with those prices but as it turned out, the club I'm in had a BBQ in the Flying Enterprise last week.
    So I went along, ordered my first pint and because it wasn't a cool or hip place to be I stupidly assumed the price wouldn't be too bad, but wow, €5.15 at 9pm for a pint..fcuk me. Anyway, yes, I did pay for it (for the sake of this post you see :D).

OK, now I'll definitely stay away from the pubs for a while, I promise :)

OK, I know I'm being a bit of a hypocrite after I recently saying I won't go out in town with those prices but as it turned out, the club I'm in had a BBQ in the Flying Enterprise last week.
    So I went along, ordered my first pint and because it wasn't a cool or hip place to be I stupidly assumed the price wouldn't be too bad, but wow, €5.15 at 9pm for a pint..fcuk me. Anyway, yes, I did pay for it (for the sake of this post you see :D).

OK, now I'll definitely stay away from the pubs for a while, I promise :)

The Flying Enterprise is a "Landmark" pub (like Cantys, Le Chateau etc.) and can get away with charging higher prices than usual. You should have gone next door to Fordes, where they have much more realistic prices - not €3.20 a pint, mind you!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭KatyBob

So is the birdie bar still the cheapest place city centre ish to drink in??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭Arnold Tanzarian

KatyBob wrote: »

What is it again like 3 something up until 9pm . am i right in saying that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭spitfireIRL

2.99 between 5 - 10.30. It's the job!

KatyBob wrote: »

Where/what is this "birdie bar" you speak of?? I've never heard of it and I'm a tight-fisted alcoholic who is always on the lookout for cheap beer in Cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭rob316

byronbay2 wrote: »
    Where/what is this "birdie bar" you speak of?? I've never heard of it and I'm a tight-fisted alcoholic who is always on the lookout for cheap beer in Cork!

Its in reardens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭rob316

€5.50 for a pint of Bulmer in sober lane and €5.20 for Heineken it's just a disgrace there is no need to charge so much.

The end is nigh though, Wetherspoon released there revised Irish prices today, the publicans here will be shaking.

2.50 for all long neck bottles, 2.95 for pint of Heineken, craft long neck 3.00, pint Murphys or fosters 2.50.
    Pint bottles of erdinger for 2.95! That's cheaper than the off licence.

No Bulmer or guiness the only downside.

Advertisement