Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of a pint in Cork City.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

Holy crap, those wetherspoon prices are outstanding. Makes a mockery of what people are charging in other (smaller) chain pubs.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,451 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

rob316 wrote: »
    €5.50 for a pint of Bulmer in sober lane and €5.20 for Heineken it's just a disgrace there is no need to charge so much.

The end is nigh though, Wetherspoon released there revised Irish prices today, the publicans here will be shaking.

2.50 for all long neck bottles, 2.95 for pint of Heineken, craft long neck 3.00, pint Murphys or fosters 2.50.
    Pint bottles of erdinger for 2.95! That's cheaper than the off licence.

No Bulmer or guiness the only downside.

Wow very good prices

I was in the woolshed on Thursday and it was 5.10 I think for a pint of Carlsberg.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Holy crap, those wetherspoon prices are outstanding. Makes a mockery of what people are charging in other (smaller) chain pubs.

Ya couldn't believe it when I read it. Go onto their site and download the menu the prices they are charging for quality beers is amazing, so much choice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Holy Crap. Had to download it to believe you. Any news of the Cork one opening? Linky http://www.jdwetherspoon.ie/pdf/irish_menu.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

There is absolutely no reason a pint should be more than €5 in Cork. The reason its so expensive in Sober Lane is Ernest Cantillon is probably trying to recoup some of the costs of setting up in Dublin.

A pint of Heineken in Sober Lane D4 is 5.20 which is cheap for the area of Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

The pizza pitcher seal in Sober Lane is now €23 as well. The bargain side of that is long gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

gimmick wrote: »
    The pizza pitcher seal in Sober Lane is now €23 as well. The bargain side of that is long gone.

Pizza Seal you say!

tumblr_mbue69LYiP1rcxvfjo1_1280.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Holy Crap. Had to download it to believe you. Any news of the Cork one opening? Linky http://www.jdwetherspoon.ie/pdf/irish_menu.pdf

Anyone know what the thatchers gold is like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

€14.50 for 2 vodkas and 1 soda water in the Crane Lane.

The sooner Weatherspoons come in the better. It wont be long before people start voting with there feet

Will they though? Wetherspoons, for all their great prices, are dull as all hell. Generally there is no music, no TV or anything entertainment wise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,314 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Will they though? Wetherspoons, for all their great prices, are dull as all hell. Generally there is no music, no TV or anything entertainment wise.

Horses for courses. It's fine for a cheap bite and a pint in the middle of the day or on the way to a night on the town. I wouldn't stay there all night though, just like you wouldn't hang around an empty or near empty nightclub or late bar before it gets going.

No harm for a shake up, considering what passes for 'food' in some bars around town....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

The one I was last in, in the UK was wall to wall bloody TV's. It was sport-central (which I hate).

It'll be interesting alright to see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

rob316 wrote: »
    €5.50 for a pint of Bulmer in sober lane and €5.20 for Heineken it's just a disgrace there is no need to charge so much.

The end is nigh though, Wetherspoon released there revised Irish prices today, the publicans here will be shaking.

2.50 for all long neck bottles, 2.95 for pint of Heineken, craft long neck 3.00, pint Murphys or fosters 2.50.
    Pint bottles of erdinger for 2.95! That's cheaper than the off licence.

No Bulmer or guiness the only downside.

I had a look at their irish website there.
    They've Heineken and the like down as 4.75 in their booklet yet its 2.95 in their menu. Same as the craft beers. Something is amiss.

http://www.jdwetherspoon.ie/flash/flipping-book/#/2/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    They've Heineken and the like down as 4.75 in their booklet yet its 2.95 in their menu. Same as the craft beers. Something is amiss.

The cut their prices big time recently last weekend I think. It will be interesting to see what impact they will have on prices here in the short term. The price mentioned in Crane Lane above seems very hard to justify.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Nerdlingr wrote: »

http://www.jdwetherspoon.ie/pdf/irish_menu.pdf It makes for sobering reading:D

They didn't even need to go that cheap, but they seem intent on shaking up the Irish market.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Ludo wrote: »
    Are wetherspoons really going to charge a euro less than other pubs which they are competing with? I don't think so. I would be surprised if they were any more than 30 cent cheaper. Max 50 cent.

Well boy was I WRONG there :eek:

I honestly can't see the sense behind that much of a drop in price though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Ludo wrote: »
    Well boy was I WRONG there :eek:

I honestly can't see the sense behind that much of a drop in price though.

Id imagine they wont last long. Such prices are gaining massive publicity which is great advertising for Weatherspoons. Prices will probably go up once they have opened a few more chains in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

How much is whiskey these days lads? Was out saturday night - got two Jamesons, €10 for the two. That about the going rate is it?

Hogzy wrote: »
    Id imagine they wont last long. Such prices are gaining massive publicity which is great advertising for Weatherspoons. Prices will probably go up once they have opened a few more chains in Ireland.

Not to mention the "down with this sort of thing" do gooders will be out in force accusing them of all sorts of nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭kooga

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Anyone know what the thatchers gold is like?

its a nice refreshing cider, i had it a few times in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

Vicarstown €5.30 for Heineken on Friday. Whoagh. Good spot though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,314 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

chakotha wrote: »

At that price, it'd fcuking want to be good for mass produced p*ss.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Nash Bridges

Does anyone know when the Cork Wetherspoons at the Newport is due to open?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

chakotha wrote: »

Ha at €5.30 it would wanna be brilliant, best pub in cork?but its def not that not even in top 10 I,d say

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

Does anyone know when the Cork Wetherspoons at the Newport is due to open?

It was supposed to be open for Christmas, but I think they ran into a small bit of planning trouble as in they were changing the structure of the place more than they had planned/disclosed.

It will probably be Spring at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

blow69 wrote: »
    It was supposed to be open for Christmas, but I think they ran into a small bit of planning trouble as in they were changing the structure of the place more than they had planned/disclosed.

It will probably be Spring at this stage.

"We will need to wait on the Council once they have received the information, but if all is approved we would expect the pub to open in February 2015."

http://www.thecorknews.ie/articles/wetherspoons-opening-delayed-15509

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭ROY RACE

5.30 pint of carlsberg vicarstown-disgrace

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

ROY RACE wrote: »
    5.30 pint of carlsberg vicarstown-disgrace

Was in there one night with a group. Everyone was shocked at the price so we left and havent been back

• Advertisement

Could a vague night time price list be put together for town I wonder?

For lagers

Vicastown €5.30
    Sober Lane €5.20
    Mardyke incl Woolshed €5.05
    Brog €5
    Woodford €5.30
    Soho €5.40

Advertisement