Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of a pint in Cork City.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭fergie24

gimmick wrote: »
    Could a vague night time price list be put together for town I wonder?

For lagers

Vicastown €5.30
    Sober Lane €5.20
    Mardyke incl Woolshed €5.05
    Brog €5
    Woodford €5.30
    Soho €5.40

Was in Deep South few months ago, Tom Creans was €5.80. havent been back there sense

• Registered Users Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭rob316

A couple of Wetherspoon owned super pubs in the city would definitely see other publicans take a serious look at there prices.

Cantillon and McCabe bang on about how they don't just offer a pint for €5 they offer an experience. In fairness to them they do run some pretty nice establishments and are very well run but something has got to give on the price of the main reason people are there - the alcohol.

I don't expect them to drop there prices in the current form, why would they? their pubs are jointed every weekend. But when a competitor is serving a pint of Heineken for 43% less than you are, any time of the day or night you know you need to make a change. Wether they ever step foot in wetherspoons is irrelevant, your customers will start to take a lot more notice of what they are paying and see how much they are been overcharged.

€2.95
    €5.20, somewhere in there your customer isn't going to give a toss about the experience and atmosphere.

Aldi/Lidl turned the grocery market upside down, its time the same was done to the pub trade. They plan to have 30 pubs here in the coming years, you would imagine in major cities like Cork, Limerick, Dublin, Galway. 30 of those will have a huge effect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭Arnold Tanzarian

Cant wait for Wetherspoons, seriously gonna be some spot for the all dayers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

While I really look forward to Witherspoon's value craft beer and cask offerings, I do worry about the all day drinkers that it might attract. Hopefully it will be big enough for one to avoid the drunken idiots. I assume that they'll have a sensible serving/door policy regarding drunks, anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

wetherspoons are usually pretty proactive about security especially during the day in the city centre pubs. The suburban ones might be a bit different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

If weatherspoons charges those prices i cant see it being anything other than a success. earnest and co are selling an experience are they?in what way? there's rarely live music in any of the bars bar sobar lane. at the end of the day you go to be with your friends and socialize, right now the two big player is the cork city pub market are charging anti social prices and i cant wait to see it bite them on the arse!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

I still can't believe the prices the Birdie Bar (front bar in Reardan's) is charging. Was in there over the summer and it's a fine spot too when the weather is (was) nice. I'd love to see other places follow their lead, but I'd worry it's more likely instead the place will get more popular and prices will go up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 mickdaly

Charlies Union Quay by the City Hall - Sundays €3.10 all day and evening for pints of Beamish Carling and Fosters. Was live music there last night. Will grant a free Carlsberg pint to Marquee concert ticket stub holders for that night's gig as well whilst the Marquee is on (June/July).

€3.50 pints of Fosters in the Bishopstown Bar all day/night.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,485 ✭✭✭Markcheese

A lot of pubs last year were doing the free pint with a ticket stub - we ended up in the sextant- think the idle hour were doing the same - all Benny McCabe's pubs were doing it .
    Haven't been to any gigs yet this year

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

who_me wrote: »
    I still can't believe the prices the Birdie Bar (front bar in Reardan's) is charging. Was in there over the summer and it's a fine spot too when the weather is (was) nice. I'd love to see other places follow their lead, but I'd worry it's more likely instead the place will get more popular and prices will go up.

but isn't their selection of beers very limited at those prices? we went there once for pizza and they only had Carlsberg at the low price which was fairly lame really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Was out last night to the Market Lane. No table so they took my number so we could go for a drink. Went to Oliver Plunket. A Carlsberg and G&T was €12.90. €2.30 for the mini mixer.

Market Lane hadn't yet called when we finished. Went into the Oak and the same round was €9.90.

That's an utterly scandalous difference. I'll never darken the OP again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭kooga

Was out last night to the Market Lane. No table so they took my number so we could go for a drink. Went to Oliver Plunket. A Carlsberg and G&T was €12.90. €2.30 for the mini mixer.

Market Lane hadn't yet called when we finished. Went into the Oak and the same round was €9.90.

That's an utterly scandalous difference. I'll never darken the OP again.
    The linen weaver would of cost €8.25

• Registered Users Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Old Oak has always offered good value. I also noticed the price difference on a mini pub crawl recently. There isn't any justification for the difference, both offer free music/entertainment and the Old Oak is a decent bar atmosphere and clientele wise.

kooga wrote: »
    The linen weaver would have cost €8.25

Was hardly going to go all the way over there while waiting on a call from Market lane now were we :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

New place on Bridge street €6 for a Brooklyn beer. Won't be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Was hardly going to go all the way over there while waiting on a call from Market lane now were we :)
    Its a 3-4 minute walk. Not like he was suggesting the Franciscan Well.

Its a 3-4 minute walk. Not like he was suggesting the Franciscan Well.

Paul St to the top of OPS is 3-4 minutes? Fair play to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭EOB32

Paid over 5 euro (can't remember how much exactly) for a pint of Murphy's in Oliver Plunkett. That's outrageous in my book. Surprised anyone goes there tbh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

smell of fish in plunkett whenever I was in there presume its the food

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

I'm also baffled by the place.

The music venue upstairs was nice while Crowley's were putting on gigs there, but I would never go there for pints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Rebel1987

€4.70 for a pint of Guinness in East Village last night. First time in there to watch a match, plenty of screens and a good atmosphere. I'll certainly go back there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

EOB32 wrote: »
    Paid over 5 euro (can't remember how much exactly) for a pint of Murphy's in Oliver Plunkett. That's outrageous in my book. Surprised anyone goes there tbh

I'm happy to pay the prices in the Oliver Plunkett. They charge a premium for drink because they have live music seven nights and they have to pay the bands/singers.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭ROY RACE

5,50 for a pint of heineken johnos douglas never again will i return.

2 jeggerboms with a can of red bull was 15 euro

unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭ROY RACE

Kazbah wrote: »
    I'm happy to pay the prices in the Oliver Plunkett. They charge a premium for drink because they have live music seven nights and they have to pay the bands/singers.

seems to be very popular place in town at the moment alaways jammed and full of totty :P

ROY RACE wrote: »
    5,50 for a pint of heineken johnos douglas never again will i return.

2 jeggerboms with a can of red bull was 15 euro

unreal

Johnos has been gouging for a long time now, I will not give them business at those prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

€3.95 dearest pint in Spoons last night. Cod and chips and a Beamish with an extra portion of onion rings for €12.25

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

€3.95 dearest pint in Spoons last night. Cod and chips and a Beamish with an extra portion of onion rings for €12.25

What's it like, IMO the Wetherspoons in the UK are full of skangers, alcos and stag/hen parties.

What's it like, IMO the Wetherspoons in the UK are full of skangers, alcos and stag/hen parties.

there's already a thread on Spoons in the Cork City forum, seems to be getting a decent mix of all sorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Shoutout to Charlie's, paid €3.10 for a Beamish there last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

where has the best beamish in cork?

Advertisement