Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Irish newspaper archives for WW1

• 27-05-2013 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm currently trying to solve a family mystery of how my great grandfather died during early WW1. There are no medal roll records for him so the likelyhood is at this stage that he never fought abroad. I've tracked his movements from 11/8/14 when he attested in Cork and have a record of him being absent for 5 days from his base, which earned him a days field punishment (what is this?) and docked 14 days pay on Oct 27. He died on 2/1/15 which was 2 months later so I'm trying to find how a 23 yld man died at home when he was healthy two months previous.
    The short details are that he signed up as 3574 on 8/11/14 with the RG(R)A in Cork and he died listed as with the Connaught Rangers No. 3513 on 2/1/15.
    So what I'm looking for are online or otherwise available newspaper archives of the time. I'll be looking up the Irish times this weekend when I get to the local library but are there resources for the Leinster leader or similar publications. I'm looking for training accidents or accidental shootings, fever outbreaks, that sort of thing. Or any news on the training of 6th Company RGA Fort Carlisle from that time.
    If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be very grateful. I'll be getting his death cert at the end of the week so hopefully that will shed some light on the cause of death.

Thanks to all.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

Post your query on the facebook page of the Munster Fusiliers. It is run by Jean who has all the Cork newspaper archives, articles, and was part of the team who compiled the 'Great Sacrifice'.
    CONDON, DENIS. Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Connaught Rangers.
    Unit; 5th Battalion. Date of Death:02/01/1915. Service No:3513. Born in Cork. Enlisted in Cork while living in Cork. Died at home. Supplementary information; Husband of K Condon, of 7 Lady’s Well Hill, Cork. Grave or Memorial Reference: RC. 435. Cemetery: Grangegorman Military Cemetery, Dublin.

Cheers.
    Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Frere Jacques

Hi Tom, I have spoken to Jean a few times and we didn't get anywhere but that was when we thought he was with the Connaught Rangers for all his service. You are right, maybe it's time for another call to her.

Thanks.
    FJ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Hi all,

I'm currently trying to solve a family mystery of how my great grandfather died during early WW1. There are no medal roll records for him so the likelyhood is at this stage that he never fought abroad. I've tracked his movements from 11/8/14 when he attested in Cork and have a record of him being absent for 5 days from his base, which earned him a days field punishment (what is this?) and docked 14 days pay on Oct 27. He died on 2/1/15 which was 2 months later so I'm trying to find how a 23 yld man died at home when he was healthy two months previous.
    The short details are that he signed up as 3574 on 8/11/14 with the RG(R)A in Cork and he died listed as with the Connaught Rangers No. 3513 on 2/1/15.
    So what I'm looking for are online or otherwise available newspaper archives of the time. I'll be looking up the Irish times this weekend when I get to the local library but are there resources for the Leinster leader or similar publications. I'm looking for training accidents or accidental shootings, fever outbreaks, that sort of thing. Or any news on the training of 6th Company RGA Fort Carlisle from that time.
    If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be very grateful. I'll be getting his death cert at the end of the week so hopefully that will shed some light on the cause of death.

Thanks to all.
    I had a look at the Irish Indo archive but no luck.
    The 5th Connaught Rangers left Richmond barracks(dublin) on the 10/9/1914 for kilworth Camp Fermoy, they returned to Dublin on the 9/10/1914 and were stationed at the Royal barracks where they were engagedin training and total manpower on the 2/12/1914 was 1,157 all ranks. They moved to the Curragh in February 1915.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

My grandfather served with the Munster Fusiliers. Can somebody please give me Jean's contact details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

Jean runs the Munster Fusiliers facebook page here;
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Munster-Fusiliers/368194305377?fref=ts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Frere Jacques

kabakuyu wrote: »
    I had a look at the Irish Indo archive but no luck.
    The 5th Connaught Rangers left Richmond barracks(dublin) on the 10/9/1914 for kilworth Camp Fermoy, they returned to Dublin on the 9/10/1914 and were stationed at the Royal barracks where they were engagedin training and total manpower on the 2/12/1914 was 1,157 all ranks. They moved to the Curragh in February 1915.

Thanks for that Kaba,

I was thinking of making a trip to Boyle and try to meet up with Danny Tiernan to see if Denis is mentioned in the Connaught Rangers records in their museum. I have done a number of searches on both the Irish Times archives and also the Irish Newspaper Archives site. One of the guys in the UK on the great war forum lists any rises and falls in numbers for the 5th but there is no mention of any deaths around the end of 1914/ early 1915.
    Thanks for trying though.
    FJ.

Advertisement