Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accommodation (Off-campus) for 2013/14 academic year

Options
  • 27-05-2013 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I've lived on campus the last two years so this year I want to get a house there are 4-5 of us looking for a house at the moment but it seems to be a dead end with most properties on the market wanting you to take a one year lease from now.. I'm just wondering will it always be like this or am I just looking too soon? If anyone knows of any properties close to UCD that will be up for rent from August/September on-wards it'd be great if you'd give me the heads up ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

You will have a hard time getting 9 month leases for off-campus renting, and you'll have pretty much no chance of finding somewhere now to rent then. With regards the first, look at it from a landlords perspective - why would he want to earn money for 9 months, when he could earn it for 12? And as regards trying to find a place now to rent in September, why would a landlord want to lock in a tenant for a lease at some point in the future, when he could keep looking and find someone who'll start now?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 aoifef

Raphael wrote: »
    You will have a hard time getting 9 month leases for off-campus renting, and you'll have pretty much no chance of finding somewhere now to rent then. With regards the first, look at it from a landlords perspective - why would he want to earn money for 9 months, when he could earn it for 12? And as regards trying to find a place now to rent in September, why would a landlord want to lock in a tenant for a lease at some point in the future, when he could keep looking and find someone who'll start now?

Yeah I get you but there's no point in us taking a house now when none of us are in Dublin this summer. I've been told that if I want to get somewhere close to UCD (which is essential for me) then I should be looking now but then other people tell me its useless looking now, I should wait until July or August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Best bet is to find out where / what places have rented to students in the past for the academic year and start there. Maybe some friends know of places or people could post here / PM you landlord details who is willing to let for academic year only.

You could also try contacting estate agents who might know someone (the landlord pays their fees, not you) or search the web for student accomodation websites or see if there's student listings on places like daft etc.

Also classified magazines like buy and sell may have what you're looking for.

No harm looking now, if you don't find anything you don't find anything, but keep trying until you do. August will roll around in the mean time.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 aoifef

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Best bet is to find out where / what places have rented to students in the past for the academic year and start there. Maybe some friends know of places or people could post here / PM you landlord details who is willing to let for academic year only.

You could also try contacting estate agents who might know someone (the landlord pays their fees, not you) or search the web for student accomodation websites or see if there's student listings on places like daft etc.

Also classified magazines like buy and sell may have what you're looking for.

No harm looking now, if you don't find anything you don't find anything, but keep trying until you do. August will roll around in the mean time.

Never thought of emailing estate agents thanks a million :)

Advertisement