Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet Fatpipe just installed...

• 27-05-2013 4:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

But my ISP is showing as Eircom, getting an Eircom IP, but i am getting a very steady 50Mb/s down, about 9Mb/s up... thats though wired... Anyone know how long it should take for it to show as belonging to Manget? And anyone know how to get into the modem?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_remon

That probably means that the external IP that Magnet bought from Eircom hasn't been updated yet to reflect the change in ownership. Shouldn't really matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭lotas

not sure.... looking at the traceroute report, it seems that i am going though Eircom's network... Magnet have their own... I cant see them using someone elses... maybe it takes a while for it to be moved over...

something else that makes me think i am not currently on magnets network:

traceroute to magnet.ie (85.91.6.43), 64 hops max, 52 byte packets
    1 dsldevice.lan (192.168.1.254) 64.366 ms 99.691 ms 99.978 ms
    2 dsldevice.lan (192.168.1.254) 99.915 ms !H 99.791 ms !H 99.900 ms !H

I can get to everywhere else, but not Magnet's site... Odd...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

9mbps up is ridiculous.

Looks like I can finally get back to streaming my games once Fatpipe comes to Donabate

TheDoc wrote: »
    9mbps up is ridiculous.

yea, i am meant to be getting 20mb... so, it is ridiculous... ridiculous that i am only getting half the speed currently... :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

The upload speed seems to be common across the forum from what I can see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

lotas wrote: »
    yea, i am meant to be getting 20mb... so, it is ridiculous... ridiculous that i am only getting half the speed currently... :(

Your first post indicated 50mbps down and 9mbps up

I'm saying that 9mpbs is ridiculous, as in outrageously good. UPC 150mb packages barely scrape that. And for a Fibre to the cabinet setup to get that is amazing.

I have had to stop my gaming streams and stuff since moving into my new apartment, with a 9mbps upload speed, I'll be able to do full 720p streaming, even better then on UPC.

Considering its fibre to the cabinet, working on copper to your house, that is pretty impressive. It goes off the distance of your house to the cabinet, so be interesting to see the consistent speeds alright.

Areas of my location are coming online this week so I'm hoping it's not too long before I get it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jamesnp

Just a warning to fellow Magnet customers, this is their new throttling policy which comes into force with the rollout of vdsl services: https://www.magnet.ie/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Magnet-Traffic-Management-Protection-Policy.pdf

I'll probably do my 30 days and switch to Eircom.

-jp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

jamesnp wrote: »
    Just a warning to fellow Magnet customers, this is their new throttling policy which comes into force with the rollout of vdsl services: https://www.magnet.ie/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Magnet-Traffic-Management-Protection-Policy.pdf

-jp

Saw this, I dunno will they follow it up, are Eircom trying anything similar?

Fieldog wrote: »
    Saw this, I dunno will they follow it up, are Eircom trying anything similar?

Nope, Eircom seem to be doing it the right way; no limits, no throttling, no caps.

-jp

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

jamesnp wrote: »

-jp

That's a weird policy...

So if you use Netflix you're ok , but if you are streaming via Sky or LoveFilm etc. you are screwed...

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭pron

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    That's a weird policy...

So if you use Netflix you're ok , but if you are streaming via Sky or LoveFilm etc. you are screwed...

I have it from the Magnet sales and tech teams that the "known good" streaming services (sky etc) are all covered by their policy and won't be throttled :D (Just as well with multiple Sky boxes in the house!)

P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

I don't see Steam on their "allowed" list? And I'm sure there are other common services missing.

I currently have Magnet's Bitstream product. Very happy with it, even if it's a little overpriced. But I'll be moving elsewhere for FTTC.

Imagine the scene - I get home from work, see a bargain on Steam, and start the download. Even if I haven't downloaded anything else all day, after 4GB the download slows to a trickle.

I might actually be better off with plain ADSL.

animaal wrote: »
    I don't see Steam on their "allowed" list? And I'm sure there are other common services missing.

I currently have Magnet's Bitstream product. Very happy with it, even if it's a little overpriced. But I'll be moving elsewhere for FTTC.

Imagine the scene - I get home from work, see a bargain on Steam, and start the download. Even if I haven't downloaded anything else all day, after 4GB the download slows to a trickle.

I might actually be better off with plain ADSL.

Yeah, I was thinking that... my adsl is a solid 15mb no matter how much I download...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭zg3409

4Gb per day? from 4pm to 1am, that's 9 hours or 450Mb/hour during peak hours, or at 70Mb/s that's 1 minute to reach their limit. This is insanity. They then drop your connection speed 40 times slower!!!

Personally I downloaded/uploaded 700+ GB last month, so magnet would not be an option for me. I was told by Magnet on the phone the other day there was no limit, this appears to be untrue. At the time I mentioned the amount I download.

zg3409 wrote: »
    4Gb per day? from 4pm to 1am, that's 9 hours or 450Mb/hour during peak hours, or at 70Mb/s that's 1 minute to reach their limit. This is insanity. They then drop your connection speed 40 times slower!!!

4GB, it's bytes not bits. Still, it's awful.

4GB, it's bytes not bits. Still, it's awful.

If you assume their Gb was meant to be a GB that's 8 minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Having that limitation in their T&C's is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard of. If they actually enforce it, it will be the ultimate in stupidity.

Sounds to me like Magnet have some sort of bottleneck in their own setup that they are worried about. Eircom are not enforcing such terms on them. The cabinets themselves will have plenty of bandwidth, with more available on tap if the need arises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,310 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That certain high bandwidth services, which they can obtain direct peering to, are allowed and everything else is under the cap definitely suggests a problem with their main network.

zg3409 wrote: »
    If you assume their Gb was meant to be a GB that's 8 minutes

My apologies, it is bits in the contract. Looks like it's a mistake though given that the conversions below are in bytes. Just goes to show you how clueless the person who came up with the limit was...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Are Magnet stuck in 2002? Who wants an ISP that punishes you for accessing sites that aren't on 'there list'. That policy is complete and utter nonsense! When you see crap like that it suggests to me they just don't have the back haul to support the new service.

So, it seems that Magnet have fixed one problem... I am now getting close to the 70Mb/s down, 20Mb/s up i was promised, and am now on their network, not Eircoms:

0WlmSXR.png

I was talking to the Magnet guys this morning. they did say that the product was new and the limits where being enforced, but they would take feed back. I suggest a couple of sites to add to the list: Microsoft (Xbox, Azure, Downloads, MSDN, Windows Updates), Amazon (EC2, S3), Akamai (lots of places use them for CDN), Apple (iTunes, updates, App Store). Hopefully they take some of these to note...

the limits where being enforced,

Can you check if it automatically kicks in by downloading say 5GB during one evening from a "non approved" site and then re-performing the speed test, then comparing to approved sites?

You might need to do the speed test to a non-magnet test provider.

Also is the limit of 4Gig per day, week, month? It is not clear from the document. Does it automatically reset at 1am each day?

its per day, not per week or month, and i really couldent be all that bothered... the magnet connection is a third line in to the house... got 2 150mb/s cable modems, and a mikrotik router... i have told the router to send all trafic for AerTV and Netflix over the magnet connection and the the rest of the connections are split 5 ways between all WAN links (1 -> UPC1, 2 -> UPC2 3-> Magnet 4-> UPC1 5 -> UPC2). so testing the download limits is not something i could be bothered doing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Ampolo

its per day, not per week or month, and i really couldent be all that bothered... the magnet connection is a third line in to the house... got 2 150mb/s cable modems, and a mikrotik router... i have told the router to send all trafic for AerTV and Netflix over the magnet connection and the the rest of the connections are split 5 ways between all WAN links (1 -> UPC1, 2 -> UPC2 3-> Magnet 4-> UPC1 5 -> UPC2). so testing the download limits is not something i could be bothered doing...

Wow, that's some setup !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Colour me disappointed!
    Magnets website says I can have 70mb fibre now (only had the 24mb stream package last week) but when I call up it is not available till december :(

Hmmm... looks like the EU want to tell Magnet not to trottle their connections:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/04/european-commission-teases-net-neutrality-rules/?utm_medium=feed&utm_source=Feed_Classic&utm_campaign=Engadget

They can prioritise traffic, but not trottle or block... wonder when, or if, they actually do this...

It seems that they may not be trottling data, or if they are, they are not doing it to HeaNet...

back story: I started downloading some linux ISOs from BitTorrent... mainly to try max out all three connections (370Mb/s anyone?). Anyway, that dident work as planned (couldent find enough peers) but i did notice that the magnet connect was running at a pretty constant 50Mb/s+...

So, i told my router to send all traffic to the HeaNet server over WAN3 (the magnet connection) and then downloaded a Linux DVD (4.1Gb). it downloaded at a around the 70Mb/s (8MBytes give or take, see the screen shots below). it stayed running at the full 70Mb/s for the whole time. and before that, it was downloading at about 50-60Mb/s for a good 20-30min...

So, not a scientific test by any means, but gives you a good idea of what is going on...

Notes: all figures are directly from the router. Its a Mikrotik RB1100. WAN1 and WAN2 are both 150Mb/s UPC cable connections. WAN3 is the 70Mb/s Magnet connection. the router does firewall and NAT rules, and i have told it to send certain types of data over different links. ftp.heanet.ie, which shows as 193.1.193.64 on my machine, is set to use WAN3. there are 6 hops between the time i leave my network and the time i hit heanet's network. the server is not responding to traceroute requests directly, but ping times are between 29 and 45ms...

any questions, shout.

http://imgur.com/a/gVtW9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭RikuoAmero

It seems that they may not be trottling data, or if they are, they are not doing it to HeaNet...

back story: I started downloading some linux ISOs from BitTorrent... mainly to try max out all three connections (370Mb/s anyone?). Anyway, that dident work as planned (couldent find enough peers) but i did notice that the magnet connect was running at a pretty constant 50Mb/s+...

So, i told my router to send all traffic to the HeaNet server over WAN3 (the magnet connection) and then downloaded a Linux DVD (4.1Gb). it downloaded at a around the 70Mb/s (8MBytes give or take, see the screen shots below). it stayed running at the full 70Mb/s for the whole time. and before that, it was downloading at about 50-60Mb/s for a good 20-30min...

So, not a scientific test by any means, but gives you a good idea of what is going on...

Notes: all figures are directly from the router. Its a Mikrotik RB1100. WAN1 and WAN2 are both 150Mb/s UPC cable connections. WAN3 is the 70Mb/s Magnet connection. the router does firewall and NAT rules, and i have told it to send certain types of data over different links. ftp.heanet.ie, which shows as 193.1.193.64 on my machine, is set to use WAN3. there are 6 hops between the time i leave my network and the time i hit heanet's network. the server is not responding to traceroute requests directly, but ping times are between 29 and 45ms...

any questions, shout.

http://imgur.com/a/gVtW9

So basically...you're still able to use the full speed? Have you tried loading say a Blip.tv video versus a Youtube one, and seen which one buffers faster?

• Advertisement

RikuoAmero wrote: »
    So basically...you're still able to use the full speed? Have you tried loading say a Blip.tv video versus a Youtube one, and seen which one buffers faster?

havent tried, and given the fact that youtube use a lot of different IPs to load their content from, it wont be easy... ran a few more tests and i can still see it coming in at the full speed... fingers crossed they dont implement the policy fully...

Advertisement