Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet Fatpipe just installed...

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jamesnp

Praetorian wrote: »
    Having that limitation in their T&C's is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard of. If they actually enforce it, it will be the ultimate in stupidity.

Sounds to me like Magnet have some sort of bottleneck in their own setup that they are worried about. Eircom are not enforcing such terms on them. The cabinets themselves will have plenty of bandwidth, with more available on tap if the need arises.

Yeah, this is my guess too. When I signed up to Magnet 24mb ADSL last year, I had terrible problems for the first month with terrible slowdown at peak times. Reluctantly, and after a while, they said their pipe to the Dún Laoghaire exchange was at capacity and they needed to install a new one. Once they did that the serivce was perfect.

My reading of the Eircom specs would suggest that this would no longer be a problem, but they must be worried about something similar.

-jp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭lotas

If you check out the Public Peering details for Maget (https://www.peeringdb.com/private/participant_view.php?id=967) you notice they only have about 1-5Gb a second bandwidth... Eircom (https://www.peeringdb.com/private/participant_view.php?id=950) have 20-50Gb... Mind you UPC (https://www.peeringdb.com/private/participant_view.php?id=346) have 1Tb+! granted, thats shared across the world, but still... impressive... Also, from that site, the Eircom connection has 6 10Gb connection points in different location (Amsterdam, Frankfurt, London and Ireland) whereas Magnet have 6 1Gb connections and 2 2Gb connections, totaling 10Gb... So, that could be an issue also...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

Can someone confirm that if you go over 4GB, the throttling to 1MBps is lifted at 1am? Or will traffic be throttled again at 4pm the next day?

Also, do both download and upload count towards the 4GB?

radiospan wrote: »
    Can someone confirm that if you go over 4GB, the throttling to 1MBps is lifted at 1am? Or will traffic be throttled again at 4pm the next day?

Also, do both download and upload count towards the 4GB?

Mine's being installed on Wednesday, I'll let you know.

Magnet's documentation suggests that the limit is 4GB per day, i.e. new 4GB at 4pm the next day.

-jp

Right, well I'm up an running with 71678 Kbps / 20479 Kbps. Solid 68/17 according to speedtest which is pretty full speed with tcp/ip overheads.

I'm going to download some big stuff tonight to see if I can hit this cap.

-jp

• Advertisement

No joy hitting any cap as yet!

-jp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭zg3409

Maybe he was cut off!

Not sure if i hit a cap, or whats going on, but the last few days, the magnet connection has been acting up... the modem still tells me i am connected at 65/20, but sites are all taking a rediculous time to load... told my laptop to use the google public DNS servers, and it made no different... anyone else noticing anything odd?

Right... have tried a few things, but still only getting about 50-60KBytes/s... laptop directly connected to modem via Ethernet, downloading from ftp.heanet.ie. if i download on one of the other connections, i get the full speed, so its not heanet. Tried traceroute to heanet, can see nothing odd in the trace.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

lotas wrote: »
    Right... have tried a few things, but still only getting about 50-60KBytes/s... laptop directly connected to modem via Ethernet, downloading from ftp.heanet.ie. if i download on one of the other connections, i get the full speed, so its not heanet. Tried traceroute to heanet, can see nothing odd in the trace.

Any ideas?

Try again during off-peak hours and see if it's back to full speed.

• Advertisement

radiospan wrote: »
    Try again during off-peak hours and see if it's back to full speed.
    Hmmm.... just tried it now, and yea, getting a full speed download... Now to figure out what i did yesterday to hit that cap, if i did at all... I dident downloading anything yesterday that i can think of... ahhh well... sent magnet an email. if they get back, i will reply...

I uploaded about 60GB to AWS EU (Ireland) between 4pm and 1am yesterday, so I don't think upload is counted, certainly not to AWS anyway.

-jp

jamesnp wrote: »
    I uploaded about 60GB to AWS EU (Ireland) between 4pm and 1am yesterday, so I don't think upload is counted, certainly not to AWS anyway.

-jp

AerTV's head node is hosted on AWS, as is Netflix... Netflix do seem to have their own IP block, but they are still hosted on AWS... Maybe its any traffic to AWS... Nice find! :)

lotas wrote: »
    AerTV's head node is hosted on AWS, as is Netflix... Netflix do seem to have their own IP block, but they are still hosted on AWS... Maybe its any traffic to AWS... Nice find! :)

Yeah, that was my one worry about the throttling, so I'm pretty happy to stick with Magnet now on that basis, especially considering the rolling contract and lower price.

-jp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I just switched from Magnet to Vodafone. I was told that Magnet are going to change their throttling nonsense (to 3m/bit). Well DUH it was a stupid idea in the first place, and giving people 3m/bit is just an extension of Magnet's stupidity. . "oh but you can use Netflix and youtube". I think there are a million other things on the internet. Internet censorship is not up to Magnet.

I'm going to strongly advise every single person I come across everywhere to avoid Magnet like the plague. Their throttling stupidity and lack of professionalism in regards to not even having the decency to reply to emails is absolutely desperate in this day and age.

I've actually complained to ComReg...

I believe what they're doing may be illegal (DIRECTIVE 2002/19/EC OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL, Article 10, Obligation of non-discrimination) seeing as they're throttling certain services, but leaving others untouched. A company that's actually in competiton with Netflix, RTÉ or the like would probably be better able to make that complaint though.

-jp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

Praetorian wrote: »
    I just switched from Magnet to Vodafone. I was told that Magnet are going to change their throttling nonsense (to 3m/bit). Well DUH it was a stupid idea in the first place, and giving people 3m/bit is just an extension of Magnet's stupidity. . "oh but you can use Netflix and youtube". I think there are a million other things on the internet. Internet censorship is not up to Magnet.

I'm going to strongly advise every single person I come across everywhere to avoid Magnet like the plague. Their throttling stupidity and lack of professionalism in regards to not even having the decency to reply to emails is absolutely desperate in this day and age.

ive a video i took tonight of magnet actively rate limiting netflix to 1mbps, but wont upload it and show it here as it shows my ip address

i have taken a screenshot tho and if u look at the bottom right of the pic you will see the active transfair speed tonight when streaming or should i say trying to stream

o1c5.png

Surely this is a breach of their own contract? my speed was rate limited today to 1/mb down upload was fine tho

2978676994.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Magnet should really rename the product "Fatpipe 4 gig" or "Skinny pipe"

Advertisement