Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone unlocking

Options
  • 27-05-2013 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭

Hi

I've given my 30 day notice of end of contract today. It will be the end of a 24 month €70 pm contract.
    I have asked for the iPhone to be unlocked when my 30 days notice is over (June 26th) so that I can port to a new network. The rep told me that I can't request an unlock until after the contract ends.
    Why is this? He said it can't be done but my response is that's an eMobile policy not an apple policy.
    This rediculous policy means I may have to stick with eMobile against my will for a week longer than necessary. My contract was not 24months and a week!!!!
    By the end of my contract I will have spent over €1800 on Emobile and now I'm being forced to spend more money if I want to be able to use a phone that I have more than paid for during a 24 month contract.

Can someone explain this policy? Is it even legal?

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 690 ✭✭✭eMobile: Grainne

jarvis wrote: »
    Hi

I've given my 30 day notice of end of contract today. It will be the end of a 24 month €70 pm contract.
    I have asked for the iPhone to be unlocked when my 30 days notice is over (June 26th) so that I can port to a new network. The rep told me that I can't request an unlock until after the contract ends.
    Why is this? He said it can't be done but my response is that's an eMobile policy not an apple policy.
    This rediculous policy means I may have to stick with eMobile against my will for a week longer than necessary. My contract was not 24months and a week!!!!
    By the end of my contract I will have spent over €1800 on Emobile and now I'm being forced to spend more money if I want to be able to use a phone that I have more than paid for during a 24 month contract.

Can someone explain this policy? Is it even legal?
    Hi jarvis,

The criteria that needs to be followed when requesting the unlocking code for your phone can be found in this link: http://helpandquestions.emobile.ie/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=emdev,Company={8C5A3413-D734-4C47-9016-F9EBD3B87D94},case=911

You need to be out of contract before the code can be requested.

Gráinne

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Hi jarvis,

The criteria that needs to be followed when requesting the unlocking code for your phone can be found in this link: http://helpandquestions.emobile.ie/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=emdev,Company={8C5A3413-D734-4C47-9016-F9EBD3B87D94},case=911

You need to be out of contract before the code can be requested.

Gráinne

I understand what the Emobile policy is Gràinne.
    Just because something is a policy, that doesn't make it fair or even right. Most other networks unlock very early in the contract. Your policy makes it impossible for me to switch to another network even after I've stuck with my contract for 24 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 nlandy

Same thing here Jarvis I will be taking it to comreg at this stage. I am amazed they think that they can force us to stay with them after our term not only that but I signed up for line rental of 80€ per month which is my contract and I will be held to but what I do with the phone is my business!!!!!! By the by also make sure they have actually taken your 30 days notice only by chance did I call back to be told they had "no record" of my first request for it!!!!! The word fraud comes to mind strongly here. Oh and they won't request the code until the final bill is actually cleared also so you have to call again to manually pay it unless you want to wait the additional three weeks for the dd to go through. Funny that they seem to think we are all criminals who were just waiting for the right moment to fleece them out of 80€ right at the end of of contract worth nearly two grand to them!!!! So glad I am getting away from these fraudsters and have already left them for home phone and broadband.

• Company Representative Posts: 690 ✭✭✭eMobile: Grainne

nlandy wrote: »
    Same thing here Jarvis I will be taking it to comreg at this stage. I am amazed they think that they can force us to stay with them after our term not only that but I signed up for line rental of 80€ per month which is my contract and I will be held to but what I do with the phone is my business!!!!!! By the by also make sure they have actually taken your 30 days notice only by chance did I call back to be told they had "no record" of my first request for it!!!!! The word fraud comes to mind strongly here. Oh and they won't request the code until the final bill is actually cleared also so you have to call again to manually pay it unless you want to wait the additional three weeks for the dd to go through. Funny that they seem to think we are all criminals who were just waiting for the right moment to fleece them out of 80€ right at the end of of contract worth nearly two grand to them!!!! So glad I am getting away from these fraudsters and have already left them for home phone and broadband.
    Hi nlandy,

These are the rules that need to be adhered to when requesting the unlocking code for your phone. Your contract term needs to be fulfilled before the unlocking code for your handset can be provided.

When you sign  a contract as you purchase the phone with this contract the phone and your plan are both combined.

Gráinne

• Registered Users Posts: 2 nlandy

Hi nlandy,

These are the rules that need to be adhered to when requesting the unlocking code for your phone. Your contract term needs to be fulfilled before the unlocking code for your handset can be provided.

When you sign  a contract as you purchase the phone with this contract the phone and your plan are both combined.

Gráinne

Thanks grainne I wasn't disputing your "contract" I was simply stating its a ridiculous and redundant process. Amazing that you ignored the awful customer service experience that I had but stuck to just what you feel you are in the right about. Surely even you can see that forcing me to wait until after my final bill of a 24 month contract is cleared through direct debit after I have paid you faithfully for 23 months is not only highly insulting but also seems to me more about forcing people to stay for an extra while than anything else!!!! Bad form eMobile and shame on you for implying that all your customers are waiting for a way to ditch out on their bills!!!! I could understand if I was six months or even three months off but I am now 27 days away from my contract end.

Sufficed to say I will never be coming back to your network which is such a shame as before all of this silliness I was very happy. Shame your ruined it at the final hurdle!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement