Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English poetry - question

• 27-05-2013 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

I've studied Plath, Rich and Mahon. I missed quite a lot of school and they also studied Kinsella and Bishop.
    I'm just wondering if I'm safe enough with the three poets I've done considering one of three women and an Irish poet always come up. Thanks :/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ladymacbeth

Student007 wrote: »
    Better safe than sorry. It might be helpful to at least just look over the other poets just as a backup. This sample essay on Elizabeth Bishop's poetry might help: http://studynotes.ie/leaving-cert/english/vivid-imagery-in-elizabeth-bishops-poetry-essay/

Yeah I know it would be safer but poetry is so hard for me. I love my 3 poets. The other two seem horrible :/ I might have a look at Kinsella, because he's Irish. I would hate to rely on Mahon as the Irish poet and then be stuck with Kinsella on the day :/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 53 ✭✭Student007

I got told that I need to study a minimum of 5 poets and 4 poems from each poet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

Better safe than sorry. It might be helpful to at least just look over the other poets just as a backup. This sample essay on Elizabeth Bishop's poetry might help: http://studynotes.ie/leaving-cert/english/vivid-imagery-in-elizabeth-bishops-poetry-essay/

This essay is hardly an a1 standard? Surely this isn't long enough or have I been writing far too much?

This essay is hardly an a1 standard? Surely this isn't long enough or have I been writing far too much?

Don't know about the standard, but I think it is long enough to cover almost 3 a4 pages (depends on your handwriting I suppose)...

Don't know about the standard, but I think it is long enough to cover almost 3 a4 pages (depends on your handwriting I suppose)...

I definitely write twice that, I must have small hand writing :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 MusicChick94Xx

I doubt that answer would be long enough tbh, my English teacher always told me to write about 1000 words per essay, he corrects the english papers, that essay doesn't even have 500 words... maybe I've been writing too much?

I doubt that answer would be long enough tbh, my English teacher always told me to write about 1000 words per essay, he corrects the english papers, that essay doesn't even have 500 words... maybe I've been writing too much?

I doubt if the examiner will be counting the number of words, but will definitely be looking at how many pages you have, so just have to make it look long enough :)

generally 4 pages yeah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

That sample didn't seem of high standard at all tbh. I generally try 1/2 page intro and 1x4 pages for each poem and then 1/3 page conclusion at the end (in 5th year currently).

If I were you, I'd definitely have a look at another two to prevent a disaster on the day. Just imagine sitting in the exam and not even knowing the basics of the poets in front of you. Have your preferences, but you need some back up, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 MusicChick94Xx

I doubt if the examiner will be counting the number of words, but will definitely be looking at how many pages you have, so just have to make it look long enough :)

I know that haha :) around that many words gets you between 4 and 5 pages, depending on how big/small your handwriting it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

I think that's flawed advice. The examiner is going to assess the content. Quality is probably the most important part, but you need more content than that sample answer above. It seemed to lack any detail to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 orlalc94

I'm doing Mahon, Plath, Hopkins and Bishop? Does anyone have any thoughts on if I'm fairly well covered or not?? :/

orlalc94 wrote: »
    I'm doing Mahon, Plath, Hopkins and Bishop? Does anyone have any thoughts on if I'm fairly well covered or not?? :/

Im flipping four coins. Does anyone have any thoughts on if i'm fairly well covered to get at least a head or what?

You need to do at least 5 to make sure that at least one of the poets that you have studied comes up. There are 8 poets on the course and on the leaving cert they can ask any 4.

You need to do at least 5 to make sure that at least one of the poets that you have studied comes up. There are 8 poets on the course and on the leaving cert they can ask any 4.

really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

Anyone know where I can find sample essays on Willy Shakes and Kinsella?

HugsiePie wrote: »
    Anyone know where I can find sample essays on Willy Shakes and Kinsella?

A sample essay on willy shakes? What's to get? you just shake it off after going to the toilet...

You should do one more just as a backup just in case. There are 8 poets in the course and any four can come up. What if the other four that you did not study come up? You should have studied at least 5 poets. There is still time; just have a quick run through some other easy poet just as a backup...

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Fennjenn

Is there a guarantee of an Irish poet coming up? There has been one every year since the leaving cert started! I don't see why they'd change it now! I except that there would be uproar if an Irish poet didn't appear on an Irish state examination.

how many of the 8 are irish?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Fennjenn

how many of the 8 are irish?

Mahon and Kinsella are the only two Irish BUT Hopkins came to live in Ireland for a while but I highly doubt they would regard him as Irish! I'm only learning Mahon and Kinsella in full and then Hopkins in smaller detail!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭ahmdoda

i dont see my people expecting wordsworth he better comes up hes the only poet i done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭matTNT

ahmdoda wrote: »
    i dont see my people expecting wordsworth he better comes up hes the only poet i done

What?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

ahmdoda wrote: »

I honestly don't understand year after year how people continue to think they can beat the odds, 8 poets, 4 come up ,you have to do 5 to be definite you have 1!!!! I am going to be harsh here your odds of getting your one poet are so low!

aimzLc2 wrote: »
    I honestly don't understand year after year how people continue to think they can beat the odds, 8 poets, 4 come up ,you have to do 5 to be definite you have 1!!!! I am going to be harsh here your odds of getting your one poet are so low!

No, the odds of getting your one poet are 50/50. For someone lamenting our inability to comprehend the odds, you really haven't grasped them all that well yourself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

No, the odds of getting your one poet are 50/50. For someone lamenting our inability to comprehend the odds, you really haven't grasped them all that well yourself!

Assuming they stick to the "1 woman, 1 irish" tradition this year, and that the other two can be any of the remaining 6 poets after filling those two, then Wordsworth has a 2 in 6 chance, i.e, a 33.33% chance of coming up. Where are you getting 50% from? The odds depend on the poet, it's not as simple as "4 slots, 8 poets, therefore 50-50". That is unless they were to abolish all of the established norms all at once and make it totally random which I don't see happening.

Also, what the other poster said is entirely true so I don't see why you jumped down their neck in the first place. If you were to eliminate all assumptions and guesswork, the only way you can 100% of a poet is to know 5.

Assuming they stick to the "1 woman, 1 irish" tradition this year, and that the other two can be any of the remaining 6 poets after filling those two, then Wordsworth has a 2 in 6 chance, i.e, a 33.33% chance of coming up. Where are you getting 50% from? The odds depend on the poet, it's not as simple as "4 slots, 8 poets, therefore 50-50". That is unless they were to abolish all of the established norms all at once and make it totally random which I don't see happening.

Also, what the other poster said is entirely true so I don't see why you jumped down their neck in the first place. If you were to eliminate all assumptions and guesswork, the only way you can 100% of a poet is to know 5.

To address your first paragraph: These unspoken norms you speak of have failed in the past. The idea that a randomly selected paper is selected on any grounds other than random is baffling and the SEC have confirmed this - would they really lie?

Now your latter point: Yes, 5 poets is your only guarantee (somewhat contradicting your norms allusion but anyway). I was merely stating that the odds of one poet coming up are supposedly 50 percent. It is ill-advised to go around telling people otherwise, in my view.

I do not wish to get into an argument about this and I understand my original comment may have been interpreted harshly. I assure you it was not intended as such. I hope you forgive me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

50/50?? that is impossible if you are studying one poet as the last poster said.I honestly don't understand what you are talking about.
    You are setting yourself up to be that person who goes in with less than 5 poets and comes out crying , i have warned you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭ahmdoda

50/50?? that is impossible if you are studying one poet as the last poster said.I honestly don't understand what you are talking about.
    You are setting yourself up to be that person who goes in with less than 5 poets and comes out crying , i have warned you...
    haha dont worry i wont be crying even if he didnt come up all im looking for is a pass in english

• Advertisement

Oh I apologize, I thought we still lived in the real world of basic probability principles where studying one poet with a 4 in 8 chance of coming up meant you had a 50 50 chance of getting your poet on the day. But no we appear to be in some kind of extra dimension where fairies decide who comes up based on trends and established norms, and all people seem to do is argue.

And I never said I was only studying one poet, and certainly would not cry if Lord Pythagoras were to punish such an act of petulance by employing the realities of probability.

"Bad luck is just probability taken personally"

Advertisement