Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English poetry - question

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

If you think the poets are selected completely at random then you are deluding yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

Would you ever stop going around with that passive-aggressive sarcastic tone and winding people up? People are on edge enough as it is, they don't need people trying to wind them up or make them look silly. You can disagree with someone and be polite at the same time, it is possible. Not only would you then not be winding people up, but they'd also be more likely to respect your opinion and hear you out, when it's not coated in all that sarcasm and disdain.

I was looking at the statistical implications of assuming that the two established norms of English poetry over the last number of years were to continue. I think I made that clear in my post. They might not, especially given the media hype around "predictability", but they probably will. I then clarified at the end, saying that if you were to take the assumptions aside and look at it as an unbiased 4 in 8 choice, that you'd need 5 to guarantee one poet on the paper. Nothing I said was untrue. I'd rather not get into a maths debate anyway, especially not on a thread for English poetry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

ok we all have our own calculations, somehow, so I won't comment further on the matter. Personally I am studying Mahon, Hopkins and Bishop and I would like very much for their presence come thursday, though I realize that this is not a guarantee :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Leaving Cert Student 2013

Mahon will surely come up wont he cause kinsella came up last year and an irish poet comes up every year!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Fennjenn

Mahon will surely come up wont he cause kinsella came up last year and an irish poet comes up every year!

Yeah I really hope so! I'm just a bit afraid that they might say Hopkins is an Irish poet and use him! But I really doubt they will :)

• Advertisement

Fennjenn wrote: »
    Yeah I really hope so! I'm just a bit afraid that they might say Hopkins is an Irish poet and use him! But I really doubt they will :)

but sure hes not irish hes english! Mahon has to come up! hes my favourite poet anyway and i know 6 poems on him very well and lots of quotes! im sorted! ha cultural context is easy on another note and and kingship which is a c*nt is also gona come up! everyone stop worrying and learn them! :P haha o this might cause a bit of uproar...

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Fennjenn

but sure hes not irish hes english! Mahon has to come up! hes my favourite poet anyway and i know 6 poems on him very well and lots of quotes! im sorted! ha cultural context is easy on another note and and kingship which is a c*nt is also gona come up! everyone stop worrying and learn them! :P haha o this might cause a bit of uproar...
    Yeah it's just he came to live in Ireland for a while but no I'm sure it'll definitely be either Mahon or Kinsella!... Hopefully Mahon!

but kinsella is a wanker haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

but kinsella is a wanker haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrDiZs0UIbc

change your name, mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 A Funky Unicorn

In my mocks, Plath, Mahon and Bishop came up so that's all I'm studying :)
    I like Rich aswell so I can glance over her the night before.
    My other poet was Kinsella who is a great poet but I guess I just don't understand him so I'm sticking with the other 3/4

• Advertisement
Advertisement