Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laminate coming off kitchen doors

Options
  • 27-05-2013 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭

hi , my kitchens falling apart
    QWSDaEo.jpg

this i happening to all the doors. If i replace them all will the same thing happen again?
    Or can i strip off the laminate and paint the mdf, would be ok or would it look like ****e?
    Also how do you remove the laminate from the rest of the kitchen , ie not the doors ? Bits like this:
    dolgJH8.jpg

thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭chris445

I seen this happen before and the reason it happened was because of the cleaning product used on the doors apparently had an effeck on the glue. It started with just bubbling of the laminate and then it peeled completely. The only other reason I could see for it happening is excessive heat. This can also cause laminate to bubble and peel.

The MDF doors could be painted but I would say they will need to be sanded with a very fine grade sandpaper first and personally I would be taking them to a professional to have them sprayed properly.

As regards to removing the other laminate a heat gun and scraper will do it but it will be a long, tedious and messy job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

In my housing estate there was only 10 houses built in phase 2 and this has happened to the doors in all the kitchens, even one that has been empty. The kitchen suppliers has since gone bust so no come back there.

The heat gun and scraper sounds like a bollox of a job but the missus likes the idea of changing the colour of the kitchen, i should have kept my mouth shut.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Cheapo doors. Seen it a few times. Replace them. Peeling off the remaining film will kill you. Panelling centre - about 25 quid a pop. B&Q did 1€ per door / drawer front about 6yrs ago. Now that was a real bargain alert. Never seen it again though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Markcheese

If the laminate hadn't broken away , I'd have said glue it back down with contact glue, then paint over the lot, (degreaser then BIN PRIMER then 2 coats of eggshell) .... Not quick , and bones of 150 euros , if you can new doors and trim

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    If the laminate hadn't broken away , I'd have said glue it back down with contact glue, then paint over the lot, (degreaser then BIN PRIMER then 2 coats of eggshell) .... Not quick , and bones of 150 euros , if you can new doors and trim

are you suggesting getting new doors of a colour i like and then painting over everything else to match them ?

(i have 14 doors in all , so x €25 = €350 plus paint €150. total approx €500 ?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Markcheese wrote: »
    But it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

If that transformer company does satisfactory work, I wonder if a group of neighbours pooling together would harvest greater discounts?

Just a thought

W.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Markcheese

dodzy wrote: »
    But it did.

Can't argue with that , alright glue back down any large loose pieces , sand the edges so you don't see a big line where the laminate is gone (may take a while ) then prime and paint .... If you think the rest of the doors are going to peel , you'll prob have to replace the doors,get plain wood Mdf doors and paint at the same time as the rest of the cabinets (hope they don't peel too) , I got paint and primer in pat mcdonalds , but go somewhere you'll get good advice ... (not dissing boards though )

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

i contacted surface transformers but they don't cover donegal.
    looking at their website, i think they would have done a great job of kitchen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement