Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to rot tree stumps

• 27-05-2013 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi I have just moved into a new place and need to clear the garden.i have a pretty big tree stump that I need to rot. I have drilled holes into it but just need to know what to pour on it now? And where can I get it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭chris445

Diesel will do the job

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

chris445 wrote: »
    Diesel will do the job

Carsonagenic and bad for the enviromant/soil too...........avoid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Lome wrote: »
    Hi I have just moved into a new place and need to clear the garden.i have a pretty big tree stump that I need to rot. I have drilled holes into it but just need to know what to pour on it now? And where can I get it?

Is there any chance of leaving it there to make it a theme/focal point of your garden?

You could plant some nice ferns and forest plants/flowers to create a lovely focal point in the garden.

If not then,you can buy brushwood killer/stump killer in NAD or any good agri shop/co-op.Or hire out a stump grinder for the afternoon.

www.nad.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Lome

Thanks all. Where would I get the stump killer stuff?

• Advertisement

Lome wrote: »
    Thanks all. Where would I get the stump killer stuff?

NAD out at Blakes Cross,any good garden centre or agri supply shop/co-op.

www.nad.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

if the tree is just recently felled:

http://www.garden-products.info/rootout.htm

see here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76446187
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80825995

covering the stump after application with plastic to protect from the rain is very important.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,856 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

chris445 wrote: »
    Diesel will do the job
    i suspect diesel would slow the rotting process if anything, as rotting is a biological process.
    i've heard of diesel being used to burn tree stumps; but simply pouring diesel on it would probably just prolong it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

isn't diesel just to make sure it's dead? as regards rotting, well the only thing that will do that is time. so either dig it out or make a feature of it cause it will be many years before it's rotted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

To ensure the death of the tree roots you would need a systemic treatment like rootout to get to the roots, I would doubt that diesel could do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Aiden7

paddy147 wrote: »
    Is there any chance of leaving it there to make it a theme/focal point of your garden?

You could plant some nice ferns and forest plants/flowers to create a lovely focal point in the garden.

If not then,you can buy brushwood killer/stump killer in NAD or any good agri shop/co-op.Or hire out a stump grinder for the afternoon.

www.nad.ie

I would do what Paddy147 said make it a focal point/feature or hire a stump grinder and grind it out, you can you the chippings from the stump as mulch for elsewhere in the garden. Stump grinding can be easy work depending on the size and type of tree that was there Pine and Birch are quite easy as they are softer wood, but Oak and Beech are much harder woods and will take longer to grind out, but can dangerous work

Aiden7 wrote: »
    I would do what Paddy147 said make it a focal point/feature or hire a stump grinder and grind it out, you can you the chippings from the stump as mulch for elsewhere in the garden. Stump grinding can be easy work depending on the size and type of tree that was there Pine and Birch are quite easy as they are softer wood, but Oak and Beech are much harder woods and will take longer to grind out, but can dangerous work

Well thats what we did with a Yew tree stump/trunk.

Underplanted it with small evergreen ferns and larger shuttlecock ferns.Also some flowering grasses and some "mind your own business".

There is now some moss and lichens growing on and around the tree trunk.

The birds also loving hopping around on it too,which is nice to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭mister gullible

Diesel would more likely work as a preservative on the stump. If you cut it fairly flush to the ground and drill some holes it will aid rotting. You could put some old Labour Party election leaflets over the stump - they're full of rot and might get it going.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 captain_irish

sbk brushwood killer from woodies or b&q. used it before on a 4' stump. drill fresh holes when doing it as the pores in the tree close so it will be more effective in fresh holes before they have time to close up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,856 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

he said he has a stump that he needs to rot, not one he needs to kill. i don't think we know what type of tree it was; but if it was a conifer, it'd dead already (yew aside).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

How long does it take ROOTOUT to work after applying into the drilled holes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭macraignil

I read before that caustic soda can be poured into the holes in a tree stump to help break it down faster.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/caustic-soda-tree-stump-removal-23345.html

It is available as a drain cleaner.

I would be more in favour of making it a feature in the garden even if it was just to support a container with some nice garden plant growing in it. It will eventually rot away naturally if it is dead and the holes that have been drilled in it should speed this up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Want to dig them out as there nearly in the middle of small lawn, want to reseed the whole lawn around feb march so the quicker the better I get these rooted out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭macraignil

Natural rotting will be too slow in that case. I have broken shovel handles trying to lever out tree stumps before but how deep and strong the roots are probably depends on the type of tree and how big it grew before being chopped down.

Advertisement