Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee's new range

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Eviecus

Hi Dee, thank you so much for your help on this. I really want to try the new sausages!!
    I have looked in the fridge section in all the shops, I can see all the quorn stuff but nothing of yours there.

I could get to Tesco in Lower Baggot Street or Parnell St during the week or else perhaps Carlow at the weekend. I could also maybe try Superquinn in Carlow at the weekend. Hopefully I'll finally get to try them!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I previously got them in Tesco Ballybrack so they used to be stocked there anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭DeesWholefoods

Eviecus wrote: »
    Hi Dee, thank you so much for your help on this. I really want to try the new sausages!!
    I have looked in the fridge section in all the shops, I can see all the quorn stuff but nothing of yours there.

I could get to Tesco in Lower Baggot Street or Parnell St during the week or else perhaps Carlow at the weekend. I could also maybe try Superquinn in Carlow at the weekend. Hopefully I'll finally get to try them!

HI, they are definitely in Clarehall in the fridge by the Quorn. I am almost 100% they are in SQ Carlow but will double check tomorrow, waiting to hear back on Lr. Baggot St and Parnell St

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Currently cooking Dee's vegan sausages in the pan... what a disaster! They dissolved into an inedible mush :(

I have discovered that this happens when you use an older pan or a pan with a bad non-stick coating. If you use a fairly decent pan they don't mush up as they cook!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

This stuff looks pretty good I'm gonna have to try it. Bit expensive to eat regularly though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

yeah it costs hundreds of euro then :o

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Eviecus

Thanks schemingbohemia, I'll try Ballybrack the next time I'm out there.
    HI, they are definitely in Clarehall in the fridge by the Quorn. I am almost 100% they are in SQ Carlow but will double check tomorrow, waiting to hear back on Lr. Baggot St and Parnell St

Thanks very much Dee, I'll give Clarehall a try the next time I'm out that way if the others don't have it!

yeah it costs hundreds of euro then :o

Hey if ya can afford to eat like a king, eat like a king. Unfortunately I just cant afford it. Btw if anyone knows where there is cheaper alternatives to the type of stuff this Dee's people do then let me know.

Hey if ya can afford to eat like a king, eat like a king. Unfortunately I just cant afford it. Btw if anyone knows where there is cheaper alternatives to the type of stuff this Dee's people do then let me know.

Hi there, just a little background on our sausages... Most veggie sausages are made from a blend of wheat gluten/soyprotein/egg albumen/methylcellulose allergens and chemical additives. Why, I used to think can veggies not enjoy a gourmet sausage like their fellow pork munching friends.? I set to work. I sourced a sustainable pea protein from Northern France. Soya protein (the textured soy that is used in other veggie products) is made from a process that uses a carcinogenic chemical called hexane to defat the soy and make the protein usable. (This is different to naturally fermented soy products like tofu or tempeh) As well as adding a myriad of different flavours and "maskers" to hide that beany off-flavour you get with soy. Not to mention all the GM issues, and deforestation issues too. With pea protein, the extraction process uses water. It is clean and sustainable. Yes, more expensive, but you get what you pay for. Again, I refused to develop products using soy protein isolates and spent a lot of time researching different beans and finally went with black beans and navy beans. The black beans add a nice flavour and texture to the sausages. Irish Dulse Seaweed is rich in umami and we use it to add a flavour and mineral boost to our sausages that you won't find anywhere else. I spent two years developing these sausages. So, no you won't find cheaper alternatives to Dee's. You will find alternative products, but none that use our ingredients.

I've done a lot of work on a nutritional programme to help people eat healthy on a budget (if you are just buying for yourself divide everything by 4) this is done for a flexitarian family so if you have any veggie recipe replacement questions, please let me know. Dee

http://www.slideshare.net/DeesWholefoods/dees-healthy-eating-on-budget

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭gawker

Looking forward to trying these sausages!

BTW I buy one or two pots a week for lunch from Tesco Jervis. Lately, including today, they have only had one flavour (Tex Mex). Have a word with them and see if they can maybe stock a bit more of your stuff. They aren't great for veggie options in general though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭perfectisthe

Would it be possible to get the sausages stocked in central Dublin Tescos other than Baggot Street Dee? I still haven't had a chance to try them. It'd be great if they were available in Jervis, Parnell Street or Temple Bar.

Hi there, just a little background on our sausages... Most veggie sausages are made from a blend of wheat gluten/soyprotein/egg albumen/methylcellulose allergens and chemical additives. Why, I used to think can veggies not enjoy a gourmet sausage like their fellow pork munching friends.? I set to work. I sourced a sustainable pea protein from Northern France. Soya protein (the textured soy that is used in other veggie products) is made from a process that uses a carcinogenic chemical called hexane to defat the soy and make the protein usable. (This is different to naturally fermented soy products like tofu or tempeh) As well as adding a myriad of different flavours and "maskers" to hide that beany off-flavour you get with soy. Not to mention all the GM issues, and deforestation issues too. With pea protein, the extraction process uses water. It is clean and sustainable. Yes, more expensive, but you get what you pay for. Again, I refused to develop products using soy protein isolates and spent a lot of time researching different beans and finally went with black beans and navy beans. The black beans add a nice flavour and texture to the sausages. Irish Dulse Seaweed is rich in umami and we use it to add a flavour and mineral boost to our sausages that you won't find anywhere else. I spent two years developing these sausages. So, no you won't find cheaper alternatives to Dee's. You will find alternative products, but none that use our ingredients.

I've done a lot of work on a nutritional programme to help people eat healthy on a budget (if you are just buying for yourself divide everything by 4) this is done for a flexitarian family so if you have any veggie recipe replacement questions, please let me know. Dee

http://www.slideshare.net/DeesWholefoods/dees-healthy-eating-on-budget

Thanks for the response and the healthy eating guide, I'll have a good read of that later might come in handy (once I substitute out the chicken and fish). I also know you're putting in a lot of effort to make your product, I'm not disputing that but as I said the cost just prices me out of buying it regularly as I'm a poor student. So I'm on the lookout for similar stuff but more affordable.

Doesn't have to be the same ingredients all I'm looking for is similar types of vegetarians foods as you do (sausages/burgers other than the usual veggie burger etc) but a bit cheaper. I know they might not be the same quality wise but beggars cant be choosers. I've tried to make my own burgers with potatoes, and mushroom and beans but I always end up with mush.

Btw what's the deal with the soy protein isolates ? I have a bag of it I take instead of whey when I workout. I thought it was all good. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Would it be possible to get the sausages stocked in central Dublin Tescos other than Baggot Street Dee? I still haven't had a chance to try them. It'd be great if they were available in Jervis, Parnell Street or Temple Bar.

I saw them in Tesco Parnell St about 10 days ago. They may have run out temporarily...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Btw what's the deal with the soy protein isolates ? I have a bag of it I take instead of whey when I workout. I thought it was all good. :(

Nothing I know of, if I were you I'd stick to eating healthily with veg and not worry about the health of your sausage if you can't afford these. Just get any others. Cauldron have lovely ones.

Thanks for the response and the healthy eating guide, I'll have a good read of that later might come in handy (once I substitute out the chicken and fish). I also know you're putting in a lot of effort to make your product, I'm not disputing that but as I said the cost just prices me out of buying it regularly as I'm a poor student. So I'm on the lookout for similar stuff but more affordable.

Doesn't have to be the same ingredients all I'm looking for is similar types of vegetarians foods as you do (sausages/burgers other than the usual veggie burger etc) but a bit cheaper. I know they might not be the same quality wise but beggars cant be choosers. I've tried to make my own burgers with potatoes, and mushroom and beans but I always end up with mush.

Hiya, there's too much water in mushrooms and they are too "slippery" if you know what I mean so that will effect binding. You need them chopped up super small and almost dried out from frying before you can add mushrooms to a burger. You need something else in those burgers if you want them to stick together too. Try some oats just shake them in dry from the packet. Tomato ketchup can work too, add a bit of mustard in also and I recommend popping any homemade burgers in he fridge/freezer before cooking as the cold temp helps binding also. Also if using onions, make sure they are chopped mega small, if they are too big they cause the burger to fall apart too. Let me know how your homemade trials are going. Dee

Nothing I know of, if I were you I'd stick to eating healthily with veg and not worry about the health of your sausage if you can't afford these. Just get any others. Cauldron have lovely ones.

As a company we don't use processed soy, as we prefer to use more sustainable, cleaner ingredients. Organic soy is an option for many, but obviously that is expensive too.

More info on soy/hexane extraction here.

http://www.cornucopia.org/2010/11/dirty-little-secret-in-the-natural-foods-industry-toxic-chemical-use/

gawker wrote: »

BTW I buy one or two pots a week for lunch from Tesco Jervis. Lately, including today, they have only had one flavour (Tex Mex). Have a word with them and see if they can maybe stock a bit more of your stuff. They aren't great for veggie options in general though.

Will get reps to call in this week.

Will do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I love any chance veggies/vegans get to avoid processed soya. I don't like consuming large amounts of soya.

• Advertisement

As a company we don't use processed soy, as we prefer to use more sustainable, cleaner ingredients. Organic soy is an option for many, but obviously that is expensive too.

More info on soy/hexane extraction here.

http://www.cornucopia.org/2010/11/dirty-little-secret-in-the-natural-foods-industry-toxic-chemical-use/

Oh so its an environmental issue rather than a health one ?

Oh so its an environmental issue rather than a health one ?

It's both. I don't fancy eating anything extracted with hexane. I do eat organic/gmfree tofu though. It's a different product than processed soy, different processes, hope I'm not confusing things! Basically what I'm trying to say is all soy products are not created equally!

Hi there, I have asked the Manager in Tesco Jervis to order in 4 of our lines for you, if you like them, please tell all your friends to buy them, as if we sell out quickly he will be more confident of ordering again! Thanks for your help, Dee

Hi there, I have asked the Manager to stock more of our products in Tesco Jervis (4 types) and Tesco Parnell Street (6 types) - please help us to spread the word by telling your friends and co-workers about our food, so they sell out quickly and he orders again :) Thank you, Dee

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭gawker

Hi there, I have asked the Manager in Tesco Jervis to order in 4 of our lines for you, if you like them, please tell all your friends to buy them, as if we sell out quickly he will be more confident of ordering again! Thanks for your help, Dee

That's my lunch decisions made easier so :)

Happy to be of service *bows* ...Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

HI

I am trying to look up the nutritional content of the sausages, I did tried looking them up online

molly09 wrote: »
    HI

I am trying to look up the nutritional content of the sausages, I did tried looking them up online

This is available on the Tesco.ie website beside our products
    http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=278215044

Kind regards,

Dee

Currently cooking Dee's vegan sausages in the pan... what a disaster! They dissolved into an inedible mush :(

Just curious as to whether you had frozen them at home first before this happened. I've updated cooking instructions here: -
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151672095814961.1073741829.75169764960&type=3

• Advertisement

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    I had that mushy result a few times but, in fairness, it's far from inedible! I prefer to grill them anyway. They're great in a wholegrain bread sandwich mushy or not.

Hi, just checking as to whether you had frozen the sausages first before cooking...? I have an updated photo album showing cooking on a low heat on a cast iron pan if it is any help https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151672095814961.1073741829.75169764960&type=3

Kind regards and thanks for the feedback, Dee

Advertisement