Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee's new range

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Hi, just checking as to whether you had frozen the sausages first before cooking...?

No, just too hot and/or too much oil. At this stage I'm done them in several different pans - iron, standard, ceramic etc and it's all fine. I don't don't mind a bit of mushy anyway, it's no big deal for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭spiralbound

Is anyone else having issues with the sausages not lasting til the best before date in the fridge? I've just had to throw out a third pack that has bloated in the fridge - the best before date on the pack was 20 October! (The other two packs were a while ago, at two different times). The fridge is almost at max 'coldness', they've been in there since Sunday, came straight home after shopping and into the fridge. I haven't had problems with milk etc. going off so I don't think it's the fridge.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yeah a pack of mine went off and I had to throw them out, i tried on and it was rank. Only happened twice out of lots of packs.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭DeesWholefoods

Is anyone else having issues with the sausages not lasting til the best before date in the fridge? I've just had to throw out a third pack that has bloated in the fridge - the best before date on the pack was 20 October! (The other two packs were a while ago, at two different times). The fridge is almost at max 'coldness', they've been in there since Sunday, came straight home after shopping and into the fridge. I haven't had problems with milk etc. going off so I don't think it's the fridge.

Hi there, as today is only the 14th September there is no way any sausages should be dated the 20th October. If there is this is a serious error at the factory and we will need to take immediate action. Can you send me a photo of best before date and where you bought them please to info@dees.ie. thanks Dee

Yeah a pack of mine went off and I had to throw them out, i tried on and it was rank. Only happened twice out of lots of packs.

Hi Tar, please let me know of any problems to info@dees.ie (also pls send me your address for refund) thanks Dee.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

No need for that thanks, I'll let you know if any bad batches pop up.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭rhapsody

Just on the best before dates- I freeze mine & put one in the fridge the night before to defrost for breakfast. When I started buying the sausages, they always had best before dates of only a couple of days away so I just got into the habit & now they go straight to the freezer.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭spiralbound

rhapsody wrote: »
    Just on the best before dates- I freeze mine & put one in the fridge the night before to defrost for breakfast. When I started buying the sausages, they always had best before dates of only a couple of days away so I just got into the habit & now they go straight to the freezer.

Yeah, I think I'm going to either eat them straight away or freeze them from now on. Dee has very kindly offered to refund me, by the way, which is very much appreciated! We do like these sausages a lot, and will be buying more for sure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

So I finally got a pack of Original Vegan sausages, (I'm never near tescos that stock them)
    And I tried pan frying them....... It was a disaster as far as consistency is concerned, within minutes the skin dissolved and I was left with mush, albeit tasty mush!.

I pan fried in low-medium heat with a tea spoon of coconut oil. The skin just doesn't do much to help I feel.
    I'll try a different method later, grill or oven perhaps will be better.

It's a shame because I loved the taste of them and I also love the product, the brand, the idea behind everything. I just wish the sausages weren't as flimsy.

if you have a george foreman its the best way to cook them.

• Advertisement

I do yeah, I'll try diff methods later as I only cooked half the pack.
    Maybe the pan fry option should be removed.

So tried the George foreman for the rest of the pack, They held together a bit better alright...still somewhat flimsy the rice flour skin just wimps out near heat it seems.

thats weird never had a problem with them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭perfectisthe

Finally got around to trying these. They were lovely, well done on producing such a great product Dee!

Zombienosh wrote: »
    So I finally got a pack of Original Vegan sausages, (I'm never near tescos that stock them)
    And I tried pan frying them....... It was a disaster as far as consistency is concerned, within minutes the skin dissolved and I was left with mush, albeit tasty mush!.

I pan fried in low-medium heat with a tea spoon of coconut oil. The skin just doesn't do much to help I feel.
    I'll try a different method later, grill or oven perhaps will be better.

It's a shame because I loved the taste of them and I also love the product, the brand, the idea behind everything. I just wish the sausages weren't as flimsy.

Sorry, just spotted this now. We have on pack now for Best Results Grill. We find when the heat is too high it and as "low to medium" can vary quite significantly on different appliances i.e. gas, electric etc, the best results are grilled. I would suggest leaving the pan on its lowest setting and cooking in 1tsp of oil, also leave to cook for 2 mins each side before turning. They are high protein and if not browned on the bottom before turning might stick (similar to any high protein foods i.e. chicken, meat etc. Hope you have tried to grill them and they worked out ok for you. Dee

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I find if thye are sticking to the george foreman just put a light coat of soya butter on them to stop them sticking.

Living abroad at the moment, I really miss Dees sausages! I was home at the weekend, straight to tesco for dees sausages and caramelised onion hoummous, makes the best sandwich ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

Just want to add that I've tried these in a pan and they worked fine - and this was after carelessly dumping them in with an omelette and a medium heat but with v little oil. They came out perfectly in tact and tasted delicious. I think their good value but for me they are a bit expensive given I'm on a student budget.. but I will still buy them when I can. I got mine in Evergreen in Galway for anyone who is looking for them here. Also don't know if this is a factor with the sell by date with some people but it does say use within one day of opening despite what the actual date is on it. I've just emailed to see if their ok to freeze as using 6 in 2 days won't work for me cooking only for myself! It didn't say on the pack if you could but I hope so because its definitely something ill buy again if you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I can't stand that Dee's range,it's as bad as the Linda McCartney stuff, both are full of fat, taste like cardboard and are far too salty imho.

I can't stand that Dee's range,it's as bad as the Linda McCartney stuff, both are full of fat, taste like cardboard and are far too salty imho.

Just had some there again, they don't taste amazing but I suppose you have to keep them bland to a certain extent to cater to different palettes.

• Advertisement

Cooked seemingly better from frozen, here's a pic of the finished product :)

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

:confused:

Most of Dee's line is low-fat and low-salt. Besides, what's wrong with fat? Get it from the good stuff and you won't know yourself for the health benefits.

Advertisement