Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC accounting Help Thread

• 27-05-2013 6:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭

This is for all your accounting questions. We can use it to help one another when we stumble across a calculation we're not sure of.

MARGINAL COSTING HELP
    My first question is 2004 Q8- Marginal costing part (b)
    why do we add 206100 and 228045 and divide them by 6.74?
    I get where all the figures come from but don't understand we we use these figures.

Second Question, 2006, Q8 Part b of A. anyone know how or can explain it to me? The marking scheme makes no sense.

And finally, on the same question as above, Part B for the closing stock, why is it a quarter of Production costs???

Any help will be greatly appreciated! ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Brendan1234

And finally, on the same question as above, Part B for the closing stock, why is it a quarter of Production costs???

Sorry, I don't have my papers on hand so I can't help with the others, but for this type of question the value of closing stock = (production costs) x (fraction of products not sold), this is because the value of closing stock is the cost of whatever stock you still have. If I remember correctly in this question the company had produced 8000 units and sold 6000? Either way, just suppose they had, then the company would still have one quarter of the stock it produced that year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

Sorry, I don't have my papers on hand so I can't help with the others, but for this type of question the value of closing stock = (production costs) x (fraction of products not sold), this is because the value of closing stock is the cost of whatever stock you still have. If I remember correctly in this question the company had produced 8000 units and sold 6000? Either way, just suppose they had, then the company would still have one quarter of the stock it produced that year.

Ohhhhhhhh! Thanks ever so much! that really helped!
    If you could help with the others when you get the papers, i'd really appreciate it man! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭teach88

Make sure you don't rely too much on the Costing questions. Study the Budgeting ones too as they tend not to change from year to year. Costing can be awkward sometimes.

teach88 wrote: »
    Make sure you don't rely too much on the Costing questions. Study the Budgeting ones too as they tend not to change from year to year. Costing can be awkward sometimes.

Okay thanks. The only thing that i'm concerned with is that what if budgeting doesn't come up, like costing in 2012?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

This is for all your accounting questions. We can use it to help one another when we stumble across a calculation we're not sure of.

MARGINAL COSTING HELP
    My first question is 2004 Q8- Marginal costing part (b)
    why do we add 206100 and 228045 and divide them by 6.74?
    I get where all the figures come from but don't understand we we use these figures.

Second Question, 2006, Q8 Part b of A. anyone know how or can explain it to me? The marking scheme makes no sense.

1. You need to use the target profit formula for that part.
    2. Okay this might be a bit confusing to explain so ask if you don't understand me!
    In the question, it says that 5% of sales is variable. That affects your variable costs. If the sales price goes up, then that 8.14 goes up.
    Of that 8.14, 5% of €12 is variable. 5% of 12 is 0.6. 8.14-.6=7.54. 7.54 is the amount of variable costs (multiplied by units) that will not change. For each question that has a different selling price you need to add on 5% of that SP to te variable cost.
    So in this case the SP is now 13. 5% of 13 is 0.65 so you add this on to 7.54 to get 8.19. This is your new variable cost per unit.
    The formula is
    Sales - VC - FC = profit.
    Let x equal the number of units to be sold.
    13x - 8.19x (new figure) - 158600 = 0.1(13x)
    Then you can solve.
    Hope this helps, feel free to ask any questions! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

2. Okay this might be a bit confusing to explain so ask if you don't understand me!
    In the question, it says that 5% of sales is variable. That affects your variable costs. If the sales price goes up, then that 8.14 goes up.
    Of that 8.14, 5% of €12 is variable. 5% of 12 is 0.6. 8.14-.6=7.54. 7.54 is the amount of variable costs (multiplied by units) that will not change. For each question that has a different selling price you need to add on 5% of that SP to te variable cost.
    So in this case the SP is now 13. 5% of 13 is 0.65 so you add this on to 7.54 to get 8.19. This is your new variable cost per unit.
    The formula is
    Then you can solve.

I KNEW you were going to post on this thread. ;) You and Accounting love each other!!! :P

Okay thanks. The only thing that i'm concerned with is that what if budgeting doesn't come up, like costing in 2012?

Costing did come up in 2012 (Overhead Apportionment) but they mixed a bit of Flexible Budgeting into the question.

If you look back over the papers, you'll notice that they have started to play around with the Costing question but the Budgeting ones are still the same as always. Much more reliable :cool:

teach88 wrote: »
    Costing did come up in 2012 (Overhead Apportionment) but they mixed a bit of Flexible Budgeting into the question.

If you look back over the papers, you'll notice that they have started to play around with the Costing question but the Budgeting ones are still the same as always. Much more reliable :cool:

ah i see!
    cheers!
    Btw, is there any other advice you could give me for accounting?
    Should one use pen or pencil? would you do the theory in a seperate booklet? and also use a seperate booklet for workings?
    Do we need full headings/dates?
    Thanks.

The formula is
    Then you can solve.
    Thank you so much! I don't have the question on me now but will take a deeper look tomorrow! thanks so much! :D x

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 53 ✭✭Student007

found this on the web: http://egs.ie/accountancy/ it might be of some help. (navigation bar on the left)

• Advertisement

ah i see!
    cheers!
    Btw, is there any other advice you could give me for accounting?
    Should one use pen or pencil? would you do the theory in a seperate booklet? and also use a seperate booklet for workings?
    Do we need full headings/dates?
    Thanks.

I would use pen as pencil can be difficult to read. That said, if you're prone to making mistakes, pencil might be better that crossing out or destroying the page in tippex.

I would do the theory directly after the account but again, up to you. Just make sure that if you are jumping between booklets that you write clearly where the rest of the question can be found.

As regards, dates and headings, the markers are clamping down on what some people call the "technicalities", i.e. the words in the accounts, etc. There are more marks given now for having the correct words with the figures that ever before so you can't afford you take any short cuts.

A bit of general advice would be to make sure you are comfortable with Q5, just in case two nasty 100 markers come up. It amazes me that some people go into the exam with no preparation done for a question that has come up every year since the course was introduced!

ray2012 wrote: »
    I KNEW you were going to post on this thread. ;) You and Accounting love each other!!! :P

What can I say we're like two peas in a pod :P

You know when you put a reduction in Bad debt provision under the 'Add other income' in the P+L account and add it? I'm just wondering what would you do with an increase in bad debt provision? Would you leave it in 'other income' but just subtract it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

You know when you put a reduction in Bad debt provision under the 'Add other income' in the P+L account and add it? I'm just wondering what would you do with an increase in bad debt provision? Would you leave it in 'other income' but just subtract it?

I have a feeling it goes into expenses but I wouldn't take that as 100% true because we haven't done any questions with an adjustment like that it in in months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

This is class. Just posting here so I won't forget it. Can this be a general discussion or does it have to be serious?

Depreciation for life.
    Suspense.. not so much.

Aspiring wrote: »
    This is class. Just posting here so I won't forget it. Can this be a general discussion or does it have to be serious?

Depreciation for life.
    Suspense.. not so much.

Ah no, general discussion! whatever you want :)

Hm? I'm lost? :P hah

Ah no, general discussion! whatever you want :)

Hm? I'm lost? :P hah

Sorry I meant I like depreciation questions, but dislike suspense ones :)

I can still never understand why the Q1 isn't taught by some teachers...! :P

It's not thought by mine, but nothing i can do :P
    I am feeling ok for accounting now.
    Need to learn the theory to get this A1 though....

Happens in our school, been begging the teacher he finally agreed to "brush over it for a week or 2"

• Advertisement

Aspiring wrote: »
    Sorry I meant I like depreciation questions, but dislike suspense ones :)

Ah yeah same! :D

Decrease goes under gains and increase goes in expenses :)

Decrease goes under gains and increase goes in expenses :)

CookieMonster, are you going for Medicine too? :)

CookieMonster, are you going for Medicine too? :)

I am :) hoping for an A1 in accounting but its looking quite unlikely now.. Damn theory! :P

I am :) hoping for an A1 in accounting but its looking quite unlikely now.. Damn theory! :P

Same! ah no, lots of time in that week we have inbetween biology and accounting :)
    So, how much study are you doing? and were you far of the required points in the mocks?

Same! ah no, lots of time in that week we have inbetween biology and accounting :)
    So, how much study are you doing? and were you far of the required points in the mocks?

Well I haven't exactly done much to be honest so I'd say I'll be repeating! I don't mind too much seeing as I'm young enough. If I did get it I'd like to take a year out so whatever happens, happens!
    Anyway as I said I didn't study as much as other people. I thought I had done terribly in the mocks but I was extremely surprised that I got 530 (I think - in or around that anyway). So hopefully I'll go up although I'm not expecting what I could get :P
    What about you? How did you do in the mocks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

We did them last year but coming up to the mocks the class decided that we'd rather do the 2 60 markers than the 120 mark. It cuts down on the learning really because a good few of the topics come up as 100 markers too, usually just with an added balance sheet.

I think I have a better chance with the 60 markers, less room for error and all that. I usually lose maybe 5 marks max on each on a good day but the 120s are a comedy of errors anytime I've even considered doing one of them.

Well I haven't exactly done much to be honest so I'd say I'll be repeating! I don't mind too much seeing as I'm young enough. If I did get it I'd like to take a year out so whatever happens, happens!
    Anyway as I said I didn't study as much as other people. I thought I had done terribly in the mocks but I was extremely surprised that I got 530 (I think - in or around that anyway). So hopefully I'll go up although I'm not expecting what I could get :P
    What about you? How did you do in the mocks?

ah I was thinking if repeating too. I'd say i could get a good solid 550/560 but not sure if i would repeat at that or not. I'm young too. I didn't do TY.
    The mocks were horrific for me actually! especially accounting! You see i actually studied nothing that came up and usually i get 100% in accounting :O
    in the end think i got in or around 490?
    I really wish I was good at the HPAT tbh. It would make things a whole lot simpler!

ah I was thinking if repeating too. I'd say i could get a good solid 550/560 but not sure if i would repeat at that or not. I'm young too. I didn't do TY.
    The mocks were horrific for me actually! especially accounting! You see i actually studied nothing that came up and usually i get 100% in accounting :O
    in the end think i got in or around 490?
    I really wish I was good at the HPAT tbh. It would make things a whole lot simpler!

I did TY and most people are older than me :P
    Yeh I was disappointed with accounting! I used to get 1
    A1s in tests all the time and then I made stupid mistakes in the mocks. Also I didn't and still haven't learned any theory.. Sure there's plenty of time to do it all! :P
    I hate the way there are so many questions to cover but we only have to do 4 in the exam.. And lack of choice! Could really go terribly! I find I forget how to do some things really easily.. It's all about practice really though!
    Everything will work out in the end though and if we don't get it this year we can always try again next year :)

• Advertisement

I did TY and most people are older than me :P
    Yeh I was disappointed with accounting! I used to get 1
    A1s in tests all the time and then I made stupid mistakes in the mocks. Also I didn't and still haven't learned any theory.. Sure there's plenty of time to do it all! :P
    I hate the way there are so many questions to cover but we only have to do 4 in the exam.. And lack of choice! Could really go terribly! I find I forget how to do some things really easily.. It's all about practice really though!
    Everything will work out in the end though and if we don't get it this year we can always try again next year :)

Not so bad! :P
    yeah, so much room for error in accounting! It really is all about practice! seemingly if you know how to do the 2 latest questions on each topic from the paper you should be fine.
    Yeah. Repeating wouldn't be so bad anyway! It would be easy this time next year hahaha. I was considering that biomed course in ucd but what's the point taking it for the sake of it! Hardly anything works out on the first go sure!

Advertisement