Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving into house with old alarm

Options
  • 27-05-2013 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi guys, just looking for some advice if possible.
    I've just bought a house that already has an alarm system fitted.
    It seems like an old system that was probably installed when the house was built about 20 years ago, and I was just given the code, no manuals.
    The panel has the name Merlin on it:
    b5cxDSw.jpg

A quick test using the basic commands on the control panel casing shows the siren to work, and it seems to set ok, but I wasnt able to test the sensors around the house as I dont know what the zones are.

I removed the panel, setting off the tamper switch in the process, to check out the wiring. It has Kestral Security Products Ltd. on the board:
    Dq9ZZ0V.jpg

Around the house there are wired sensors on all window frames and doors.
    I'm not sure exactly what type of sensor it is, its just a plastic rectangular box screwed to the frame. The doors have magnetic sensors as well as the above.

I am looking to upgrade the system and I'm wondering what options are available to me. I'd be looking to do it all myself.
    Can I use the existing wiring and sensors, or would everything need to be changed.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If the system is working fine then the existing wiring is probably OK.
    The single sensors are probably inertia shock sensors only. The ones on the frame and the openings are contacts.
    If your upgrading I'd look at these 2 systems.
    If your using the existing sensors/contacts I would recommend checking the resistance on all zones (see post 9 on) to see if any of those need replacing also.
    For the external bell I'd recommend the Pyronix Delta Bell.
    deltabell-backlit.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3 johnjoallen

Just bought a house with the same alarm system, the only snag is that no one knows the existing code. Does anyone on here know of a way to reset / update the system to a new alarm code?

Advertisement