Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best quality Cinema in Cork to watch Star Trek

Options
  • 27-05-2013 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I want to go see Star Trek soon but I have realised Mahon Point are not showing it at all (dunno why but Mahon can be weird like that, just randomly not showing huge blockbuster movies).
    Anyway I point blank refuse to watch it in the gate cinema because the last few times I have been in there the nd quality has been so bad that it has ruined movies. The volume is unbearably low and the fact that some screens surround sound setup is disgraceful.

Anyway, what would be the best looking/sounding Cinema in the Cork area out of Blackpool, Ballingcollig or Douglas? I really dont care about how cheap these places are. Im more than willing to pay premium prices if the experience is worth it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Hmm. I was in mahon point and they showed a trailer for star trek. Surely they wouldn't do that unless they were showing it? How strange.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

I've been to Ballincollig and Douglas.
    Douglas is on its last legs (due to soon be a lidl/aldi)
    Ballincollig - nice quiet cinema , when we went to see star trek it was half empty and that was only the thursday after release (8 days in).
    Blackpool is meant to be good , but I'm living on the wrong side of the city for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I saw it in Midleton in 3D. Grand altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

horgan_p wrote: »
    Douglas is on its last legs (due to soon be a lidl/aldi)
    This has been the news for the past 4 years :rolleyes:
    Realistically, nobody wants the land/building.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Blackpool is a very under-rated cinema. No one really goes there so its always quiet so no langers screaming there heads off. Clean and good quality sound and picture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Mahon Point - Late shows on a fri-sat night.
    No langers there, only people who genuinely want to watch the movie. Have not had a bad experience yet at the late show :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

This has been the news for the past 4 years :rolleyes:
    Realistically, nobody wants the land/building.

Either way the cinema is being allowed go to ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

I think Mahon Point had a disagreement with a distributor and because of this it can't/wont' show any films supplied from them. Someone might correct me on this if I'm wrong.

I think Mahon Point had a disagreement with a distributor and because of this it can't/wont' show any films supplied from them. Someone might correct me on this if I'm wrong.
    Yeah the chain has issues with one distributor so the odd film doesn't come in down there, even though they may advertise it etc.
    Star Trek was in there though, I went to see it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Mahon Point, the place stinks.

• Advertisement

aujopimur wrote: »
    Mahon Point, the place stinks.
    There was an odd smell out of the ventilation for a while, but I haven't got a bad smell in there for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Mahon Point is definetly NOT showing Star Trek. Probably gonna go to Blackpool. Cork seriously lacks good quality Cinemas. Nearly every Cinema in Dublin has a serious quality surround sound system and a HD screen. Not one Cinema in Cork has a HD screen. Bloody ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

Star Trek was in there though, I went to see it there.
    Hogzy wrote: »
    Mahon Point is definetly NOT showing Star Trek. ....
    It isn't listed now but it was there. Like Outkast I saw Star Trek in Mahon.

I don't really rate Mahon, expensive, crap pick n' mix and the screens aren't nearly as good as everyone makes out. I was particularly disappointed with The Hobbit after specifically going to Mahon for the, supposedly, better picture quality.

rcdk1 wrote: »
    It isn't listed now but it was there. Like Outkast I saw Star Trek in Mahon.

I don't really rate Mahon, expensive, crap pick n' mix and the screens aren't nearly as good as everyone makes out. I was particularly disappointed with The Hobbit after specifically going to Mahon for the, supposedly, better picture quality.

Picture quality is Par with everyone else. But their sound quality is by far the best in the city. To me sound quality is as important as picture quality (if not more so) in films like star trek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Gummybear2013

i love blackpool fav cinema and then next one would be mahon thought was lovely but very pricy for tickets there. but blackpool all the way nice and quite and good price :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Mahon Point is definetly NOT showing Star Trek. Probably gonna go to Blackpool. Cork seriously lacks good quality Cinemas. Nearly every Cinema in Dublin has a serious quality surround sound system and a HD screen. Not one Cinema in Cork has a HD screen. Bloody ridiculous.

What do you mean by a HD screen? The screen is just a dumb receiver - the projector is what's needed to be in HD and Mahon has HD projectors.

rcdk1 wrote: »
    I went to see the hobbit there as well, the mistake was going to see it in 3d, in the main scenes it was more of a distraction than anything, the colour palette of the hobbit too and amount of CGI wouldn't make it a great film to see for picture quality anyway as far as im concerned.

I watched it on Blu-ray recently and was far more impressed watching it on big screen at home than I was in cinema in 3d.

evilivor wrote: »
    What do you mean by a HD screen? The screen is just a dumb receiver - the projector is what's needed to be in HD and Mahon has HD projectors.

Obviously thats what I meant. The quality of the picture in Dundrum or in Cineworld in Dublin is MILES better than anything i have ever seen in Mahon Point. Its much more crisp and the definitions seems much greater.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Obviously thats what I meant. The quality of the picture in Dundrum or in Cineworld in Dublin is MILES better than anything i have ever seen in Mahon Point. Its much more crisp and the definitions seems much greater.

Go to the HD opera broadcasts - Cork is as good as anywhere.

Advertisement