Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 dogs stolen from Kennels in Kildare

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

There has been a sighting of a dog matching Erin's description near Naas.

Fingers crossed!

There has been a sighting of a dog matching Erin's description near Naas.

Fingers crossed!

It's not her :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Balls :(

I heard earlier that there had been a sighting so was crossing everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 49 Obro

This is getting to be a massive problem and nobody seems to be doing anything about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

This sickens me to my core.

Granted if someone stole my Shadow, they'd have him left back within a week and demanding an apology from me :P

But seriously, I've only ever left him in a kennel once - my dad had died and we didn't want him getting anxious with the coffin and all of the people. I worried so much I made myself physically sick, thinking something awful would happen to him. If I had found out he had been stolen from the secure and managed holding facility I had paid for, Thor himself would not have a look-in on the wrath I would bestill upon the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

This makes for a really worrying situation for animal owners. If one wants to go on holiday, what does one do with ones dog/cat/pet??? I dont send mine to kennels any more when Im away; I pay someone to come to the house twice a day, walk them and let them out in the (enclosed) garden for a few hours. But I cant have that person do this for more than a week, so short holidays only.
    So I know Im REALLY lucky to have that person come to do that (for the same daily rate as kennels) but what happens when that person isnt available?! Having heard about this (Im in Co Kildare) I cant imagine sending them to a kennels (though they're x-breeds and not very 'desirable' :rolleyes:) My very elderly neighbours hens (24) were stolen from her run last week. Who would do that - she loved her hens. People can be so evil :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I know that dog theft is not very high in the gardai's list of priorities, but this isn't a single dog theft, it is estimated that up to 200 dogs are stolen weekly in Ireland, 200! I personally believe, and have heard whispers, that these crimes are being perpetrated by gangs of people. And if you look at the statistics that has to be true, that is 5000 dogs a year! 5000 a year and how many are recovered? Very few from what I can tell, these dogs seem to be vainishing off the face of the earth.

This is every owners worst nightmare. I have said before and I will say it again, I would prefer my beloved dog to drop dead in front of me than be stolen, the wondering, the worrying, what kind of hands has my dog fallen into, even simple things like does he have shelter, food. Now as if leaving your dog wasn't nerve wracking enough you now have to worry if they will be stolen from kennels.

I know that in the law a dog is classed as property, but this isn't property theft. If someone stole my phone tomorrow I would be upset, but it wouldn't have the repercussions the way it would if my dog was stolen, I wouldn't worry about about the phone. It's completely different and so should have a different classification with a different set of penalties, harsher penalties. For many including myself my dog is not my property, he is a member of my family, so anyone who takes someone's dog should be sentenced with the thought of the mental pain and anguish that someone feels when a member of their family is taken from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    I know that dog theft is not very high in the gardai's list of priorities, but this isn't a single dog theft, it is estimated that up to 200 dogs are stolen weekly in Ireland, 200! I personally believe, and have heard whispers, that these crimes are being perpetrated by gangs of people. And if you look at the statistics that has to be true, that is 5000 dogs a year! 5000 a year and how many are recovered? Very few from what I can tell, these dogs seem to be vainishing off the face of the earth.

This is every owners worst nightmare. I have said before and I will say it again, I would prefer my beloved dog to drop dead in front of me than be stolen, the wondering, the worrying, what kind of hands has my dog fallen into, even simple things like does he have shelter, food. Now as if leaving your dog wasn't nerve wracking enough you now have to worry if they will be stolen from kennels.

I know that in the law a dog is classed as property, but this isn't property theft. If someone stole my phone tomorrow I would be upset, but it wouldn't have the repercussions the way it would if my dog was stolen, I wouldn't worry about about the phone. It's completely different and so should have a different classification with a different set of penalties, harsher penalties. For many including myself my dog is not my property, he is a member of my family, so anyone who takes someone's dog should be sentenced with the thought of the mental pain and anguish that someone feels when a member of their family is taken from them.

very well said i agree with you 100% its the not knowing what happened to them thats the worst

jimf wrote: »
    very well said i agree with you 100% its the not knowing what happened to them thats the worst

Someone I know had their Newfie stolen a couple of months back, not a breed you are going to see every day and you would think something was up if you saw a dog like that roaming around. There has only been one sighting which was mistaken and other than that they have heard nothing. His owners are completely distraught, they have said that they will never get another dog again for fear of the same happening. Some careful planning and watching went into the theft as the owners don't have a regular schedule. Plus the fact that they have no where to turn, members of the public have been great with getting the word out and sending them links to ads on donedeal, the gardai have told them that they are watching a gang they believe is involved so hopefully something will come out of that. But it's just such a difficult situation to be in.

I really hope that Erin and Jodie are returned home to their families who must be missing them so much. When you think that approx 200 families are going through the same thing every week, it's scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭inocybe

meoklmrk91 wrote: »

I agree with you, it isn't taken seriously enough as a crime. I would rather someone ransacked everything in the house and left me my dog. They would be stealing my heart and soul if they took him, I don't think I'd ever get over it. Remind everyone you know to check that their microchip details are up to date, an amazing amount of people don't register them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭For Paws

aonb wrote: »
    This makes for a really worrying situation for animal owners. If one wants to go on holiday, what does one do with ones dog/cat/pet??? I dont send mine to kennels any more when Im away; I pay someone to come to the house twice a day, walk them and let them out in the (enclosed) garden for a few hours. But I cant have that person do this for more than a week, so short holidays only.
    So I know Im REALLY lucky to have that person come to do that (for the same daily rate as kennels) but what happens when that person isnt available?! Having heard about this (Im in Co Kildare) I cant imagine sending them to a kennels (though they're x-breeds and not very 'desirable' :rolleyes:) My very elderly neighbours hens (24) were stolen from her run last week. Who would do that - she loved her hens. People can be so evil :mad:

In fairness boarding kennels are not regular targets for these criminals.
    Private homes are their usual targets, particularly ones where the owners are not home. It may be that you are taking a greater risk by not using properly secure and monitored kennels.
    Don't mean to frighten or annoy you, but that's the way it looks to me.

inocybe wrote: »
    I agree with you, it isn't taken seriously enough as a crime. I would rather someone ransacked everything in the house and left me my dog. They would be stealing my heart and soul if they took him, I don't think I'd ever get over it. Remind everyone you know to check that their microchip details are up to date, an amazing amount of people don't register them.

Thank you! You have just reminded me to update the details on my lots microchips after a recent move, with everything going on it hasn't even entered my mind to change my address.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

I just seen over on facebook that Jodie has been found in Bray! Fantastic news for her owners.
    Fingers crossed for the same for Erin soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Fantastic news and great effort by everyone involved.

The power of posters worked!!! I don't think I've stopped crying since Jodies owner rang me!!

Hope and pray Erin is also returned soon. There has been a lot of dogs "found" in the last couple of days... hopefully word is getting out there that people will not stand by and let their family be taken from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Oh thats just excellent!!! Please God the other little girl will be found next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Great news. How was the dog found? Was she straying or in the company of whoever had stolen her?

Just heard, brilliant news.

Let's hope Erin isn't far behind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Fantastic, fantastic news. Well done to everyone that shared and made them so well known.

This is fantastic news, I think the media and Facebook sharing blitz definitely helped in this case, fingers, toes and everything crossed that Erin is found too.

And even better if he culprits were found and dealt with. Great to see the good guys winning for once.

• Advertisement

Everyone Erin has been found, just saw it on Facebook, really fantastic news, both of these beautiful girls are finally back home with their living families.

Here's hoping Erin manages to find a wonderful forever home now. Unfortunately she was in kennels waiting to go on transport out of the country when she was taken :(

Here's hoping Erin manages to find a wonderful forever home now. Unfortunately she was in kennels waiting to go on transport out of the country when she was taken :(

This is just brilliant news Erin was found, soooo brilliant!!!!:D - but surely she can get a great home in Ireland now after all this and not be sent on another journey after all she has been through:( ?? God Id take her in a second and treat her like a queen and spoil her to bits if it was in anyway possible - but I have 3 dogs and 4 cats :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

I just saw on FB that her foster family are going to keep her :)

mosi wrote: »
    I just saw on FB that her foster family are going to keep her :)

Thanks for that - it made my day:D:D:D!!! Brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Where was the second dog found?

She was returned to them in the Dublin area.

I'm sure there is more to the story but there are probably good reasons for them not making all the details public.

Advertisement