Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it worth moving to eircom.

• 27-05-2013 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

I.m with three a few years now and was happy. But I just found out that the Phone line outside the house is up to 3meg speeds.

So will Eircom be better.
    Its mostly xbox live and some surfing. No streaming as yet.
    My speeds now are as follows

81782857.png

Three is up and down but it does work for xbox but from 7 30pm until 11pm it can really slow.

Will fixed line be better the whole time.

Sorry if im in the wrong place with my thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭fabo1thecross

In the morning from about six on i could have a download spees of ten+ meg. But ping wouldstill be a bit high but would play great.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

If your getting 10mb+ with three that very good. If you opt for eircoms 3mb the maximum you will really get is 2.5mb. The ping would be a tiny bit lower, unless you have a bad line.

Cheers Mr G.
    This is my speed test.
    2736002126.png

I think I understand that speed is not the main thing with gaming its more a stable line.

So is a fixed line broadband always better than 3g. And I,m not holding out for the wonders of 4g.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yeah, as long as the connection isnt shared with others then you'd probably see more consistent gameplay.

Looks like you're in dublin, check what the story with fibre is in your area.

Not in Dublin but Longford. But the mast is not to far from the house so that explains the speed. I have a funny set up also. One of the new modems with a ext aerill. I have signed up to eircom so its a waiting game now to see if it will be better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

2Mb+ DSL will always beat 3G. Anything above 2 ish Mb is perfect for anything other than large file transfer. In so far as, online gaming won't benefit with faster speed, surfing the internet won't benefit with faster speeds.

What your looking for, for online gaming is 2Mb+ and the LOWEST latency [ping] possible. DSL will ALWAYS have a better latency [20ms to 50ms, sometimes less depending on the server] than 3G.

Advertisement