Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

trigger locks and safe mounting

Options
  • 27-05-2013 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Hi,

According to the garda regulations, a shotgun can be stored in a safe or be disassembled and use a trigger lock.

Do you know if trigger locks come with most new shotgun (ex: beretta 686 new)?

My second question is do you know if safe sellers also offer to mount it or if you re left with the safe at your door steps for you to mount ... (http://www.allsafes.ie/ for example)

All the best,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

Hi,

According to the garda regulations, a shotgun can be stored in a safe or be disassembled and use a trigger lock.

Do you know if trigger locks come with most new shotgun (ex: beretta 686 new)?

My second question is do you know if safe sellers also offer to mount it or if you re left with the safe at your door steps for you to mount ... (http://www.allsafes.ie/ for example)

All the best,

Forget about trigger locks, they are only good for keeping little kids fingers off the triggers. They will not stop someone taking your shotgun and breaking it off later on.

With regard to mounting your safe, I honestly dont know if anyone offers that service. I wouldnt want anyone mounting my safe for me, I want it hidden and secure. The less people that know its location the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Contrary to popular belief its not actually hard to mount the safe to the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

If you have anchor bolts or expanding bolts, it's very easy to fix the safe to a concrete wall. They can be got at any hardware shop.

All you need is to drill holes into the wall that match up with the holes in your safe and put in the expanding bolts.

A simple google will show you how they work.

I'm not handy at all and even I found it simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

+1 to all that has be said.
    I think if you are a firearms owner it is your responsibility to the community as a whole to ensure that no piece if filth gets their mangy paws on them.
    Invest in a safe and a decent quality one. Chances are if you buy one firearm you will buy more so get one that you can grow into rather than having to get another one.
    Trigger locks are completely useless even alot of the so call "safes" are useless. If you are going to spent that amount of money on a nice firearm then you should protect that investment,
    Best of luck with your new boomstick.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭tomtucker81

As BattleCorp said, and I'm the same. Im not handy with diy or anything like it, but a drill and some anchor bolts and maybe half an hour of your time will have the safe in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Drexl Spivey

A safe is the preferred option. Thanks for the replies.

Does anyone recommend http://www.allsafes.ie/?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I've never used them, but have looked through the site before.

Great selection, but they use nearly all the same brand for their gun safes. However after checking they say all safes are tested to BS 7558 so that means they are compliant with the standard.

Most shops carry a line of safes, and other online shops provide different brands with their respective prices. Look around or stick up a wanted advert in the for sale section if you want a decent second hand one.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Plenty of second hand ones knocking around big enough for what you require keep an eye on the for sale section them come and go there fairly regular. You could even stick up a wanted add.

Advertisement