Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Petition to Prioritise the Ring Road over the Central Access Scheme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭miece16

catbear wrote: »
    No reason required then other just do it? Sounds like a rattler is all you need.

i'll shake, rattle and roll across the new bridge when its done

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

miece16 wrote: »

A tattler is what you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

miece16 wrote: »

Yes, and so will thousands of the silent majority! Roll on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

Grats wrote: »
    Yes, and so will thousands of the silent majority! Roll on the day.

No doubt you'll be taking up residence under the bridge when it's built, along with miece16 :D

No doubt you'll be taking up residence under the bridge when it's built, along with miece16 :D

No, rats live like that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Mankbag

catbear wrote: »
    No reason required then other just do it? Sounds like a rattler is all you need.

Again, goes back to what I said earlier. The only reason the Council want to build this bridge is because they CAN build it. "Oooh, the planners have come up with some lovely designs - we have to build it now!"

As for Grats's "If it was accepted" that a new bridge was needed for the Mart site, the only people who ever "accepted" this was the Council themselves. The really "hard pressed" residents of Kilkenny are the ones living on the Kennyswell Road. Doing the CAS won't help them. Only the completion of the ring road will.

"Let's complete the CAS and get Kilkenny working again" - what a meaningless and empty soundbite.

The ring road will be completed when the finance is available. The Kennyswell residents will unfortunately have to endure the heavy traffic in the meantime. Greensbridge wasn't built for the volume and type of traffic in these modern times. We have funding for a new bridge and that's what we getting now. Delaying the start in the hope that finance for the ring road would become available was just wishful thinking. Delaying tactics was just adding to the cost.

The silent majority have been rewarded, at last. Democracy wins the day. Amen to that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The ring road will be completed when the finance is available. The Kennyswell residents will unfortunately have to endure the heavy traffic in the meantime. Greensbridge wasn't built for the volume and type of traffic in these modern times. We have funding for a new bridge and that's what we getting now.

So basically,
    We know its not the best plan and its long a proper long term solution but we have some money so lets spend it,

Thats extremely poor city planning, anyone that supports it should be ashamed
    The silent majority have been rewarded, at last. Democracy wins the day. Amen to that.

If you think democracy is trying to fast track a project just because you have the money for it at the expense of our heritage and not following proper procedures then I guess that's democracy.

Woodquay in Dublin was democracy by your logic, the silent majority got its way
    :rolleyes:

The mistake, deliberate or otherwise, that the anti bridge grouping is making is linking the two very much different projects. The new bridge is needed to replace Greensbridge, the ring road extension/completion is a complete separate issue.

It's obvious why it's in the interest of the group to link the two. Do you honestly care about Kennyswell residents, or the demolition of tumbling down houses - or could it be a means to an end?

Amusingly there has been no outcry about the condition of Greensbridge which has been in a deplorable state for over twenty years.

A good fight was fought. There had to be losers. There are winners who have held their dignity in a silent manner and allowed democracy play out.

It's over.

Ps I support it as do the majority of Kilkenny natives and I ain't one bit ashamed, no more than those against it should be ashamed for opposing it no matter the cost! You demonstrated your right to oppose it and you're to be commended for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Hey Grats, couple of questions.

1. Where's Greensbridge going if the CAS is going to replace it?

2. What do you think the CAS is intended for?

3. On that note, do you think the above can be achieved with a completed ring road?

4. If so, you'll have solved all our problems all the while keeping heavy traffic out of Kennyswell/Dean Street. No need for a CAS so. If not, then you will have provided the first clear cut conclusive answer as to why the CAS is needed and you can blow the anti-CAS side out of the water.
    PS. To serve the derelict mart site, whilst being the only answer, is not the right answer.

5. Where's the proof of your silent majority? When the Council were getting in the neck the past year, why didn't they use their democratic voices to support their Council in the face of increasingly vocal opposition? Or are you guys just happy to let the Kilkenny People do it for you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭nootroc

I assume from the above that the bridge at Kilcreene was built for modern trucks. Great foresight by the engineers then.

The CAS would have been handy for the Darkness into light run this morning though.

Listen folks, ye fought the good fight, it's now over, move on.

I'm no expert regarding traffic management, road construction, future planning etc. I'm very happy to leave that to the paid experts and the County Councillors who we elected to represent us. The vast majority of those Councillors are in favour of the CAS and they represent the silent majority.

All the questions above have been thrashed out over and over but some people don't want to hear the answers they're getting because those answers don't tie in with their agenda. If want the same answers again read back over the last twenty years and you'll get them there.

For the uninformed you would be justified in thinking that the Council was assigned millions to do what they wanted with it - so they looked around and decided " let's build a bridge"! Well the honest fact is that over twenty years of planning has gone into this project and we're finally getting it off the ground.

That's my last contribution to this debate. Had the Council, representing the citizens of Kilkenny, lost they/us would have had to accept that outcome and move on. The ring road will be completed in the future, I look forward to that.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

I'm very happy to leave that to the paid experts and the County Councillors who we elected to represent us. The vast majority of those Councillors are in favour of the CAS and they represent the silent majority.
    r

The current council can't be trusted, look at the mess they made of the archaeological report they got done. Then when they were found out by an independent report they push through the plan before they leave office. It's a total shambles.

Look at the beautiful bank building that was detroyed rather than preserved by a previous council.

10155300_613012282115485_1557134644434702661_n.jpg

Another council are responsible for the current state of the courthouse.

This is what we had.
    10171915_718915041483205_1134466364010223984_n.jpg
    10294258_718915191483190_3541285611170335108_n.jpg

And this is what we got now.

10343533_718915384816504_2509364756553424711_n.jpg

To me what we had before was miles better and should been preserved.

I'm not against all developments but what we do develop has to a have a long term benefit for us citizens and our heritage. The CAS development is an old way of doing things with regard to traffic, the modern way is to bring cars out of our city.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Something else our out going council thought was a good idea.

1860863357.jpg

When we had these.

signpost.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭dathi

kikel wrote: »
    Something else our out going council thought was a good idea.

1860863357.jpg

When we had these.

signpost.jpg

only proper that the city signs are in the dicksboro colors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

County manager accepts national museum findings, congession acceleration scheme compromised.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Linkey?

Sky King wrote: »
    Linkey?

Check Kilkenny archaeology Facebook page.

If the national museum over rule the counties archaeology consultant then it really should follow that VJK have a serious case to answer.

I believe as a private consultancy their business priority is profit, not the public good.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

• Advertisement

New 30k/ph signs on road at Crockers Hill and fresh line markings in Dean St & Irishtown so the Kennyswell residents will have another 20 years of torture before the ring road is completed.

nootroc wrote: »
    New 30k/ph signs on road at Crockers Hill and fresh line markings in Dean St & Irishtown so the Kennyswell residents will have another 20 years of torture before the ring road is completed.

Not if they keep pushing for the ringroad, if everyone got together and campaigned for it it would happen far sooner

Even more to get behind ring road completion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

The CAS takes care of the Kennyswell congestion problem, there's a lot more to than just the bridge.

hi5 wrote: »
    The CAS takes care of the Kennyswell congestion problem, there's a lot more to than just the bridge.
    Would not the ring road completion tackle that traffic too?

in the end end it's about flow and all the congestion acceleration scheme does is move gridlock closer to the city. At least a completed ring road would allow the Kennyswell road traffic an option to the freshford road side without adding to the city bound traffic.

I'm really amazed that the proponents of the congestion acceleration scheme can't see that.

hi5 wrote: »

How so? Any HGV traffic coming from or going to the Callan Road will still use Kennyswell as they do at present.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

nootroc wrote: »
    How so? Any HGV traffic coming from or going to the Callan Road will still use Kennyswell as they do at present.

Incorrect, there will be a road going from the Circular Road to the waterbarracks.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

A lot of the most vocal proponents of the CAS lost their seats in the local elections. Wonder if it's anything to do with not listening to a large majority of the people?

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/kilkenny-s-central-access-scheme-may-be-in-doubt-after-local-elections-1.1814387?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭dathi

Incorrect, there will be a road going from the Circular Road to the waterbarracks.

is that not the section that board pleanala overturned stating that it was premature and impacted on the butts

• Advertisement

Threadhead wrote: »
    A lot of the most vocal proponents of the CAS lost their seats in the local elections. Wonder if it's anything to do with not listening to a large majority of the people?

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/kilkenny-s-central-access-scheme-may-be-in-doubt-after-local-elections-1.1814387?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

interesting, the mood certainly has changed. It's a pity FF got such support, there must some very short memories in this county.

Advertisement