Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Petition to Prioritise the Ring Road over the Central Access Scheme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

The minute i saw mcguinnes fat smile head outside the council i knew absolutely nothing was going to be done or going to change. The fact that anti cas people were slapping him on the back for only getting a review (which he knew the outcome already ) made me sick to my stomach

He went in hiding for his expenses scandal. he went in hiding for the CAS until he was instructed to do otherwise.

Absolute spoofer and an idiot. If any one wants examples i'll gladly provide them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I am sorry, but surely to God anyone with an ounce of sense can see the ring road completion is a necessity, do we honestly think pushing 40 ton articulated trucks through Kennyswell is traffic management.
    As for the experts should be left to make decisions, come now what exactly is an expert, they cost a lot of money, what have they done so far for our city?
    Remember politicians and nappies should be changed on a regular basis for the same reason.
    Foxy
    Without doubt this has been your greatest post.
    Lly6hvB2EBzLMiW3dzyJ.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Another shopping mall isn't the answer when theres units still available in the Market cross & on the high street. Also the high street mall is practically empty.
    Look at Carlow town, the Fairgreen shopping centre was built & now Tullow street looks dead

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭nootroc

Grats wrote: »
    Well it's not that confusing really. We voted in the Councillors. The vast majority, 9 out of ten I believe, voted in favour of the CAS. That's a majority in anybody's language.

Grats, the current government was elected because it got the majority of the votes in the last election.

Said government proceeded to increase Income Tax, USC, PRSI, introduced water charges, reduced Social Welfare and inflicted sundry other austerity measures. Does the majority agree with these measures?

Independent experts were brought in to implement devise a post code system for the country and now apparently this is not fit for purpose either.

Back in the day I was told that an expert was 'a man in a good suit a hundred miles from home':(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Is there some guy camped out on the river in a raft? Some one told me that there was they said he was one of the protesters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

obezyana wrote: »
    Is there some guy camped out on the river in a raft? Some one told me that there was they said he was one of the protesters.

Ya some people know no bounds. Hope he's ok with the swell on the river ;-)

obezyana wrote: »

Ya some people know no bounds. Hope he's ok with the swell on the river ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

Help!!!! wrote: »
    Another shopping mall isn't the answer when theres units still available in the Market cross & on the high street. Also the high street mall is practically empty.
    Look at Carlow town, the Fairgreen shopping centre was built & now Tullow street looks dead

I have heard that from a lot of people from Carlow, it is a complete disaster. Then they removed the guy responsible for that and now he is in charge now of the new bridge her in Kilkenny.

The design of the new bridge should have gone on public display, also the new route doesn't seem to have been complety finalized. Before MacDonagh was built they had a whole model for people to view in Dean St.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

femur61 wrote: »
    The design of the new bridge should have gone on public display, also the new route doesn't seem to have been complety finalized. Before MacDonagh was built they had a whole model for people to view in Dean St.

Alot of people hate the pedestrian bridge design,
    If people actually saw the CAS bridge they'd hate it even more then the pedestrian bridge design and the council know this...hence why no model to look at before hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

Cabaal wrote: »
    Alot of people hate the pedestrian bridge design,
    If people actually saw the CAS bridge they'd hate it even more then the pedestrian bridge design and the council know this...hence why no model to look at before hand.

That is the reason some people are protesting, it is not the CAS but the contempt the county council who lined their pockets with brown envelopes and built it without any public consultation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I've been watching this fiasco from afar but was down at the site today and what I saw appalled me. I'm all for people's legal right to protest but eejits in canoes near the builders? Surely that's crossing a line.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

thelad95 wrote: »
    I've been watching this fiasco from afar but was down at the site today and what I saw appalled me. I'm all for people's legal right to protest but eejits in canoes near the builders? Surely that's crossing a line.

What line is that? That is the question here? The construction site ends at the end of the newly constructed plinth. So the protesters have every right to be in and use the river. The construction staff are using pile driving equipment while citizens of Kilkenny are using the river.

It's a difficult one to define who is in the wrong here. Are the construction staff using equipment unsafely? Are the protesters entering a site illegally. How do we define who is in the wrong here? Do we use the law. If you were to look at if from opposite sides of the fence you can point blame in either direction.

Should the builders apply for a wider construction site to protect the people of Kilkenny? Should the protesters stay away themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

kikel wrote: »
    What line is that? That is the question here? The construction site ends at the end of the newly constructed plinth. So the protesters have every right to be in and use the river. The construction staff are using pile driving equipment while citizens of Kilkenny are using the river.

It's a difficult one to define who is in the wrong here. Are the construction staff using equipment unsafely? Are the protesters entering a site illegally. How do we define who is in the wrong here? Do we use the law. If you were to look at if from opposite sides of the fence you can point blame in either direction.

Should the builders apply for a wider construction site to protect the people of Kilkenny? Should the protesters stay away themselves?

Ah, here, come out of that! Look it, I don't agree with the CAS but it doesn't sit well with me that it is the poor construction workers who are subject to the abuse and the fact that it makes their job harder. Unfortunately, the decision has been granted and works have commenced. It was a democratic decision, made by our elected councillors in the past. Surely, the issue is with those who've signed off on it. I would have much preferred to see the completion of the ring road like everybody else but as it is now, let the workers get on with it and leave them at it, much as I hate to admit it

What abuse of the workers? People keep saying this. Especially those in the media. As far as I'm aware the protesters are all peaceful and actually have a bit of fun with all those concerned. From the gardai to the politicians the protesters have always been commended on their peacefull protest. They believe they are doing their best for Kilkenny. Very few seem to want this road. Even the local councillors say the want a review of the project as they feel a large portion of the city want a review. The fact that so many feel this way is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭miece16

they are stopping the workers doing their job

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

phkk wrote: »
    Ah, here, come out of that! Look it, I don't agree with the CAS but it doesn't sit well with me that it is the poor construction workers who are subject to the abuse and the fact that it makes their job harder. Unfortunately, the decision has been granted and works have commenced. It was a democratic decision, made by our elected councillors in the past. Surely, the issue is with those who've signed off on it. I would have much preferred to see the completion of the ring road like everybody else but as it is now, let the workers get on with it and leave them at it, much as I hate to admit it

The work should not be on going while there is a dispute. If you wanted to build something at the end of your garden you could not build it while there would be a dispute with your neighbour or council so the same should apply here. Just cause it was a decision made by councillors in the past doesn't make it right

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭miece16

Help!!!! wrote: »
    The work should not be on going while there is a dispute. If you wanted to build something at the end of your garden you could not build it while there would be a dispute with your neighbour or council so the same should apply here. Just cause it was a decision made by councillors in the past doesn't make it right

the permission was granted so they have full right to work. its the knobheads in the water that are putting themselves at risk

miece16 wrote: »
    the permission was granted so they have full right to work. its the knobheads in the water that are putting themselves at risk

Can you please stop referring to people as knobheads. Please try and be civil and debate the topic.

couldn't of put it better, and now with the swell on the river its just nuts, these people just want to be martyrs,

they are stopping the workers doing their job
    The protesters are using the river legally like any citizen is allowed to do. The fact that they work away with no provisions for people using the river needs to be addressed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Can you please stop referring to people as knobheads. Please try and be civil and debate the topic.

Do you have the same problem with the Anti CAS grouping hurling insults and accusations? Evidently not.

The protesters are using the river legally like any citizen is allowed to do. The fact that they work away with no provisions for people using the river needs to be addressed.

that area is not traditionally a swimming area, if I was to use it for kayaking after getting in the water you move along these morons are hanging about, with the sole intention on delaying the bridge and costing the county money, for every day they cause a delay they should be billed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭nuttz

broadsheet.ie has some pictures of the heavy handed tactics used this morning

What abuse of the workers? People keep saying this. Especially those in the media. As far as I'm aware the protesters are all peaceful and actually have a bit of fun with all those concerned. From the gardai to the politicians the protesters have always been commended on their peacefull protest.
    peace full protest.jpg

picture paints a thousand words sad carry on, and this is by no means peaceful

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

linny wrote: »
    What abuse of the workers? People keep saying this. Especially those in the media. As far as I'm aware the protesters are all peaceful and actually have a bit of fun with all those concerned. From the gardai to the politicians the protesters have always been commended on their peacefull protest.
    peace full protest.jpg

Exactly. Follow the sequence and it is very obvious that these protestors don't understand dialogue or danger. The gardai are to be commended for protecting these irresponsible people from self harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭nuttz

Can you explain how you interpret that the woman is protesting in a non-peaceful manner in that picture? She is being man handled by two gardai!

nuttz wrote: »
    Can you explain how you interpret that the woman is protesting in a non-peaceful manner in that picture? She is being man handled by two gardai!

she is resisting being moved by two garda just doing there jobs, I'm sure she was asked to move along first and has gritted teeth, as I say picture paints a thousand words

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

she is resisting being moved by two garda just doing there jobs, I'm sure she was asked to move along first and has gritted teeth, as I say picture paints a thousand words

The picture is of a member of Keep Kilkenny Beautiful being manhandled by two guards. Your supposition that she was asked to move along first has no basis in fact. Can you prove that linny?

Keep Kilkenny Beautiful workers, volunteering on behalf of the community for countless years, typical of the kind of suicidal, thug who is stopping the poor bridge being built by being 'martyrs', yeah?

The pro CAS supporters on this page have continually slandered the protestors and still, not one of you can either give a valid reason for the bridge or have a reasoned debate with any other commenters. You repeatedly come onto this thread to knock others, prattle off complete lies and instigate other users needlessly.

You're a pack of trolls. Exactly the kind of creatures who love bridges.

peace full protest.jpg

Why didn't the gardai arrest or caution her?

• Advertisement

If they are doing their jobs they must be enforcing a law. I'm not a law person myself so if you could advise me please on what law they are enforcing id love to know. I love to learn, maybe your can help me with some facts on laws.

Advertisement