Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Petition to Prioritise the Ring Road over the Central Access Scheme

Options

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Grats wrote: »

So to summarise - the petition didn't work because the majority were in favour of the CAS.

You keep saying this and I keep asking. Can you please supply the facts you base this statement on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

There will always be winners and losers in such scenarios. At the end of the day that's how democracy works with the majority having the final say.

So to summarise - the petition didn't work because the majority were in favour of the CAS. The project is up and running. Whatever is debated here now is just letting off steam.[/QUOTE]

Do will you have the same opinion when Kilkenny ends up like Carlow ( centre of town dead, mocked on Russian T.V. as being a ghost town )
    & before you say it wont happen......the same people who oversaw Carlow are the ones overseeing CAS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

kikel wrote: »
    You keep saying this and I keep asking. Can you please supply the facts you base this statement on?

A little observation goes a long way. I keep posting the facts, read them.

Help!!!! wrote: »
    There will always be winners and losers in such scenarios. At the end of the day that's how democracy works with the majority having the final say.

So to summarise - the petition didn't work because the majority were in favour of the CAS. The project is up and running. Whatever is debated here now is just letting off steam.

Do will you have the same opinion when Kilkenny ends up like Carlow ( centre of town dead, mocked on Russian T.V. as being a ghost town )
    & before you say it wont happen......the same people who oversaw Carlow are the ones overseeing CAS[/QUOTE]

I will always put my trust in paid qualified experts than self appointed "experts".

So what are you personally gonna gain from CAS?

• Advertisement

So what are you personally gonna gain from CAS?

A safe crossing to start with.

A safe crossing to start with.

So your willing to kill Kilkenny city just so you can cross the road safely?
    I'm sure the tax payers could provide a Lollipop person to help you across instead

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

This thread was set up last year ahead of the final decision, a decision that was devised over the twenty years as mentioned above.
    This is exactly the problem I have with it, yet you say it as if it's a good thing -

Kilkenny is a completely different place today than it was when this was first being mooted. We had a huge industrial function at the end of the road which is now gone, to be replace with its exact opposite - a pedestrian area!

- it's as if the powers that be are saying well we have all that money spent now, shur we might as well finish the thing.

I'm sure the tax payers could provide a Lollipop person to help you across instead

Save the lollipops for the spoilt people who won't accept democracy!

Save the lollipops for the spoilt people who won't accept democracy!

If you want to talk about democracy then there should be a review. Wouldn't that be the democratic thing to do?

• Advertisement

Sky King wrote: »
    This is exactly the problem I have with it, yet you say it as if it's a good thing -

Kilkenny is a completely different place today than it was when this was first being mooted. We had a huge industrial function at the end of the road which is now gone, to be replace with its exact opposite - a pedestrian area!

- it's as if the powers that be are saying well we have all that money spent now, shur we might as well finish the thing.

Fine, I respect you having a problem with it. The wishes of the majority have to be upheld. One Green councillor, one from Sinn Fein and one from Independent doesn't represent a majority.

If you want to talk about democracy then there should be a review. Wouldn't that be the democratic thing to do?

As I said already, the majority want this bridge. Why should the few be appeased with a meaningless review. You had your opportunity over twenty years.

As I said already, the majority want this bridge. Why should the few be appeased with a meaningless review. You had your opportunity over twenty years.

Even if there was only one person against it, there should be a review.....that's democracy.

A lovely elderly lady who participated in the protest in the early weeks told me that she no longer supports it as she just did not like some of the "elements" , her words not mine, that were now involved.

I presume she is still against the bridge. :)

Even if there was only one person against it, there should be a review.....that's democracy.

You know that's complete nonsense. Clearly no point in discussing anything with you and your likes. We can appreciate what the officials have had to contend with now having exposed the protesters on radio etc.

I cannot find, Please show me where your facts are.

We can appreciate what the officials have had to contend with now having exposed the protesters on radio etc.

What was exposed?

I presume she is still against the bridge. :)

Yeah, she is but accepted that it is going ahead and is respectful of the majority who support it.

You know that's complete nonsense. Clearly no point in discussing anything with you and your likes. We can appreciate what the officials have had to contend with now having exposed the protesters on radio etc.

So have you a business in Kilkenny or do you work in the city?

What was exposed?

Ask the elderly lady!

• Advertisement

So the long playing record goes on and on and on.....! Thankfully though, democracy is the winner in the end.

Kilkenny is a medieval city....it trades on this for tourism.
    Tourists come to Kilkenny because of this
    Do you something on the outskirts if you want progress but not through the medieval parts

Ask the elderly lady!

Send me her details. I would love to hear more. Obviously if she doesn't mind me talking with her.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

& before you say it wont happen......the same people who oversaw Carlow are the ones overseeing CAS

I think scaremongering statement like those above have made me keep my distance from the protests.

There were plenty of reviews, I first saw this back in 2007.

No, that's the complete opposite of democracy.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Why be afraid of progress? Kilkenny City is growing. Its gonna happen at some point. Better sooner than later.

Nobody is afraid of progress, everyone wants KK to develop. Me perosnally want to see it develop without the bridge. Maybe a different type of bridge. One devoted to pedestrians and cyclists.

I think scaremongering statement like those above have made me keep my distance from the protests.

Its not scaremongering....I'm from Carlow & have seen first hand what happened to it & they same people who did that are in charge of CAS

Yeah, she is but accepted that it is going ahead and is respectful of the majority who support it.

Please, please tell me how the majority support this?

Its not scaremongering....I'm from Carlow & have seen first hand what happened to it & they same people who did that are in charge of CAS

Ya shouldn't have said that. Outsiders are not allow join the debate.

(Joke)

Ya shouldn't have said that. Outsiders are not allow join the debate.

(Joke)

haha yeah....I live in Kilkenny now so think I'm ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

Can you point out these medieval parts surrounding Greens bridge?

Edit : I doubt a tourist will look at the new bridge and say well f**k that I'm not coming back here again, Stupid bridge.

The area surrounding Greens bridge is not attractive whatsoever.

Do try to keep up. There are protected structures on both sides of Green's Bridge, a woollen mill on one side and ruins of a water - powered woollen / corn mill on the other, also a tunnel. Any development there would have to be preceded by an archaeological investigation. The record of protected structures is here:
    http://www.kilkennycoco.ie/resources/eng/Services/Planning/DevelopmentPlans/KILKENNY%20CITY%20RECORD%20OF%20PROTECTED%20STRUCTURES.pdf

Advertisement