Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Petition to Prioritise the Ring Road over the Central Access Scheme

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Great use of resources
    30 police, 6 vehicles, 15 workmen, 2 jeeps 1 trailer & 2 executives removed 2 protesters this morning

http://twitter.com/bookshopiain/status/504921308296400897/photo/1

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Kilkenny city looking well on the news

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

See attached

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

kikel wrote: »
    See attached

That's a wooden support beam it's what the walkway rests on.

Are their any decent images of the proposed bridge.

• Advertisement

kikel wrote: »
    Are their any decent images of the proposed bridge.

Yeah that photo isn't the best is it. The picture looks like some one edited it in MS Paint. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

The subject appears not to be progressing of late, whether for or against it seems the CAS has run out of steam.
    At one stage we had shouts of victory as early Kilkenny had been found both sides of the river, then the houses in Vicar Street, but it has all gone deathly quiet.
    I take it the protest has collapsed and the council victorious, the main loser no doubt is Kilkenny.

The subject appears not to be progressing of late, whether for or against it seems the CAS has run out of steam.
    At one stage we had shouts of victory as early Kilkenny had been found both sides of the river, then the houses in Vicar Street, but it has all gone deathly quiet.
    I take it the protest has collapsed and the council victorious, the main loser no doubt is Kilkenny.

People are bored of it now. The CAS is going ahead the protests were in vain it's all over now so people have moved on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Unpopular opinion time.... I think the bridge will make the city a much better place for tourists and locals. Less traffic, easier traverse, slightly more modern....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

brianblaze wrote: »
    Unpopular opinion time.... I think the bridge will make the city a much better place for tourists and locals. Less traffic, easier traverse, slightly more modern....

Yeah I agree,
    There's nothing tourists love more then unimaginative, concrete bridges.
    Maybe Kilkenny will attract a new dynamic of tourists, the type that "train spot" generic concrete bridges that are normally built over motorways. It';ll be so easy for them to get up close to it and to take photos of it,

Lets watch the money roll in!
    :rolleyes:

In case you've missed something, Kilkenny markets itself as a medieval city. Tourists don't come to Kilkenny to see modern structures, they come to Kilkenny to see old structures, old history etc.

Something like below will do the city proud
    M50-Motorway-Bridge-Strawberry-Beds.jpg

That's gargantuan compared to what's being proposed?

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭miece16

they can huff and puff about it all they want but its going ahead. And thanks again for the protesters costing us €400,000. we all really needed that

You have probably hit the proverbial nail on the head, boredom and perhaps the council have, although democratically elected, shown less tolerance, having spent so much on so called experts.
    We can repent in leisure sitting on the new bridge or in the traffic jam at Kennyswell.
    Can I cycle over the new pedestrian thing, it is ugly and does nothing for our beautiful city.
    Where is my love Kilkenny hat, Foxy

That's gargantuan compared to what's being proposed?

Its larger, but its just as generic,

You think this looks better?

new-bridge-peace-park-kilkenny.jpg

kk-bridge-council-2-630x418.jpg

It's not that bad looking it's not the right location and it definitely won't take away from KKs history.

Greens bridge is not a tourist attraction or that area a tourist hotspot. I highly doubt tourists will be deterred from Kilkenny because of it.

So people won't see the bridge from the round tower or Kilkenny castle? :confused:
    You don't like the idea of encouraging tourists to walk along the river or nore liner walk?

It will not make any difference to tourists, it is just another concrete bridge, now perhaps a rope bridge might have done wonders, beneath the concrete one, mm

EXcuse me but are they building any toilets nearby?

Look, the city needs a bridge there. The current traffic situation with that tiny bridge there at the moment is a joke. People don't come to the city to look at the bridge, they come to look at the city. At the end of the day it's just a funking road, who really thinks it's going to make a big difference!

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    So people won't see the bridge from the round tower or Kilkenny castle? :confused:
    You don't like the idea of encouraging tourists to walk along the river or nore liner walk?

Do you actually believe tourists will be shocked by a concrete bridge so much so that they won't walk along the river or worse they may never return. In all fairness your being very dramatic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Look, the city needs a bridge there. The current traffic situation with that tiny bridge there at the moment is a joke. People don't come to the city to look at the bridge, they come to look at the city. At the end of the day it's just a funking road, who really thinks it's going to make a big difference!
    Lots of people including myself agree we need another bridge, just not the Congestion Acceleration Scheme.

Few posts up you seem to think it would make lots of differences, now you're saying it won't? :confused:

Again, how is the bridge benefiting tourists? You made a claim and I'm curious how you came to that conclusion.

The city needs a completed outer ring road far more then a new bridge beside greens bridge.

At the end of the day the new bridge and bit of new road does nothing to take traffic away from the city and as such does nothing to get rid of numerous bottlenecks.

obezyana wrote: »
    Do you actually believe tourists will be shocked by a concrete bridge so much so that they won't walk along the river or worse they may never return. In all fairness your being very dramatic.

So you think the generic design is acceptable and you're ok for it to go ahead in its current design? You think such generic designs do no damage to the city's image?

look at greens bridge. that **** is ugly as ****

go off home with yourself with that BS that tourists won't return to kilkenny because of some bridge.

jesus i never heard such ****e

yes okay but what about the toilets?

you can piss in the river. that good enough?

Are you expecting the women of this world to do likewise, this is serious, yes fella's can hang the dongle where they like, but the ladies, tut tut, I try to keep it as it should be sorry if you are offended.

• Advertisement

miece16 wrote: »
    look at greens bridge. that **** is ugly as ****

go off home with yourself with that BS that tourists won't return to kilkenny because of some bridge.

jesus i never heard such ****e

Who ever said tourists won't return to Kilkenny? I didn't, I said it'll damage the image of Kilkenny. Also the claim its nice and modern is silly given tourists come to Kilkenny as a medieval city.....not to see some motorway flyover bridge in the middle of the city.

As for Greens Bridge, its actually not a bad looking bridge. It however needs some clean up work, the plants growing out of it need to be removed and the gaps between brick work needs to be filled,

1982_green_s_bridge_kilkenny_s0041339.jpg

The design of the bridge is certainly more interesting then John's Bridge (but then john's Bridge is more modern as it was built around 1910),

I will say the other side of it (greens bridge) with the footpath/fencing isn't terribly attractive but thats not a fault of the original design...thats due to later modifications to the bridge by the council in the 1960's. Such changes could and should be reversed to restore the bridge to its initial design.

http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/kilkenny-news/green-s-bridge-kilkenny-brought-to-its-knees-1-6117334
    In 1969, when a lot of the real damage was done, the stones from one side of the bridge were removed as “a temporary measure” by Kilkenny Corporation and replaced by the awful looking railing we now have, kept in place by concrete splints placed on top of the wonderful limestone arches with grotesque looking pipes running along it.

One of these pipes, is in a state of decay with parts of it are falling off looks shocking. Another pipe, bright blue in colour leads no where and carries nothing, no liquid no solids just comes to an end at the Greenshill side of the bridge.

So the same council that did "temporary" work to greens bridge that destroyed it that they later never reversed is being campaigned with the idea and design of the CAS, a road layout that even people on the council in the 1980's didn't agree with.

I have the feeling that all the stone work removed from greens bridge has long since gone walkies from the council yards.

Advertisement