Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Petition to Prioritise the Ring Road over the Central Access Scheme

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Looks grand. Great addition.

You can be as positive about the whole idea of the bridge, that's fine, appreciate that, but you can't say that is an attractive bridge, because it clearly isn't. It's fugly, and churlish to say otherwise.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

You can be as positive about the whole idea of the bridge, that's fine, appreciate that, but you can't say that is an attractive bridge, because it clearly isn't. It's fugly, and churlish to say otherwise.

I think you are being a bit hard. I can see how people will see it as nice when the council seem to deliberately left our the rest of the project and how it fits into the landscape. Why they deliberately decided to exclude it greens bridge from the scale model is a mystery.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭miece16

it looks good

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

for me the issue is not about how the bridge looks,,,,surely that completely misses the point?

Looking at the bridge in isolation surrounded by all the nice model trees and pretend landscaping, it looks fine..as a bridge
    But what about the bigger picture? How will Kilkenny and the city look with the bridge in place? Personally, it has no place in such a historic environment and has no place in that part of the town. Visually it has nothing to add to its surroundings. Granted when considered as a bridge in isolation out of any context or surrounding it neither offends nor pleases me. However in its current location it is just wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

When is it due for completion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

5years i think....more for the rest of the diagio site...

There are images of a scale model of the bridge along with a substantial inclusion of the buildings etc between greens and johns bridge on the campaign for the ringroad facebook page..i know the guy who did it with a few college colleagues to scale a few years ago...he put in the new huge bridge to scale off the plans...

324641.jpg

Is that some school students Junior Cert project?

obezyana wrote: »
    Is that some school students Junior Cert project?

It's a college project of guys studying architecture from waterford as far as i know. Their end of college project was based on K. Fair play to the people that done it. After they finished their project they added the bridge long before KK county council took their figure out of their ass. While this model does not have as high a finish is is a hell of a lot better that the council one. It show in greater detail the effect this project with have on our urban landscape. Why do KK CC go against best international practice and build this stupid bring is beyond me and many KK ctiizens.

kikel wrote: »
    It's a college project of guys studying architecture from waterford as far as i know. Their end of college project was based on K. Fair play to the people that done it. After they finished their project they added the bridge long before KK county council took their figure out of their ass. While this model does not have as high a finish is is a hell of a lot better that the council one. It show in greater detail the effect this project with have on our urban landscape. Why do KK CC go against best international practice and build this stupid bring is beyond me and many KK ctiizens.

Ah right i was thinking it looked like something that i would of done myself whilst in school.

So what is going to happen to Greens Bridge, is it still going to be open to two way traffic?

• Advertisement

obezyana wrote: »
    Ah right i was thinking it looked like something that i would of done myself whilst in school.

I'd say that's more advanced than what you describe as a school project. AFAIK this was final year project from college students. Hats off to anyone that goes out of their way to help the people of kilkenny. If only our council would be so obliging.

I'd say that's more advanced than what you describe as a school project. AFAIK this was final year project from college students. Hats off to anyone that goes out of their way to help the people of kilkenny. If only our council would be so obliging.

You really do have a bee in your bonnet dont you. Its not like the council have started to knock down the castle and refuse tourists permission to enter the town. They are building a bridge albeit a bridge that maybe in a somewhat silly location, its not going to kill the town ya never know it might just make it easier to get around :)

Yes, I do have a bee in my bonnet. I fail to understand why the council what to go against best inernational practice. It's mind boggling. Building this bridge won't make it easier to get around town. If anything it will bring ever more traffic into the city centre. That is going against international best practice in these modern times. Citys with less cars are better places to live.

But ya know what, if you are worried about making things easier to get AROUND, try building a ring road, then people can get easily AROUND town. :pac:

Just look at KK every day. The number of people that cross Johns Bridge. Why aren't they been forced out onto the ring road. Then if NRR was complete people would have to use greens bridge as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

Say what ever you want about the Central Access Scheme, Kilkenny County Council, the bridge not being a nice design etc

The bridge section of the Central Access Scheme with make it substantially safer for cyclists and pedestrians to cross the town that ever before. It gives more than 50% of its available space to non mortised transport users.

KCAS-Bridge.jpg

Safer maybe than the current greensbridge but not the safest way for a city such as KK to develop. The best was would be to build the ring road and really try and encourage cycling and pedestrianisation. The current bridge proposed set up in no way to try to protect cyclists. The best way to do that now is to have a barrier. Why do the council insist on going forward trying to develop the city by bringing in more traffic to the city. The more traffic a council brings into the the city the higher risk it will for pedestrians and cyclists. Also why do the council not show any 40 foot lorries on the scale model. These will be a danger to cyclists. Will someone please thing of the kids!!! Most European cities are now bringing cars out of cities, our council insists on going against against international best practice.

Maybe you could answer these questions Adrian. You seem to be the only one that has been able to get up close to the model. Why do you the right to get up close to the model to take pictures for you Facebook page. People that are oppose to CAS have requested access and were told no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Adrian Shanahan, so how do the cyclists get to this 'safer' bridge....oh yes by unsafe narrow roads full of articulated trucks..or are you planning to knock more houses in kilkenny to make the roads wider? It still is the bridge from nowhere to nowhere...a white elephant..i thought there was a plan afoot to make greens bridge and the new bridge one way..no? What is the benifit of this bridge to businesses...?if a mutistory carpark was built, say in the mart, it would negate the need for car traffic to cross the river for the new developments in the diagio site...:rolleyes:

It's baffling that <snip> and the engineers in the council that when they were designing this bridge for cyclist safety didn't bother their arses to create a segregated cycling path if they really cared about cyclist safety. It seems to me that adrian and the boys in county hall are clutching at straws to trying to convince us that this bridge is giving priority to cyclists.

Here is more info about different types of cycling path.
    http://www.cyclemanual.ie/manual/thebasics/mixed/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

It's baffling that <snip> and the engineers in the council that when they were designing this bridge for cyclist safety didn't bother their arses to create a segregated cycling path if they really cared about cyclist safety. It seems to me that adrian and the boys in county hall are clutching at straws to trying to convince us that this bridge is giving priority to cyclists.

Ok leave aside the design of the cycle lanes which at 1.5m are below the required standard (2m). The bigger picture, from a cycling and walking perspective, is how traffic is being managed in the city.

The guiding document in this case is the National Cycling Policy Framework.

http://www.smartertravel.ie/sites/default/files/uploads/0902%2002%20EnglishNS1274%20Dept.%20of%20Transport_National_Cycle_Policy_v4%5B1%5D.pdf

Objective 2 on page 18 sets out how our urban roads are to be managed.
    Ensure that the urban road infrastructure (with the exception of motorways) is designed / retrofitted so as to be cyclist-friendly and that traffic management measures are also cyclist friendly.

Under this there is a “Hierarchy of Solutions” to be followed in making our towns more cycling (and walking) friendly. The top measure is as follows.
    (1) Traffic reduction
    Can traffic levels be reduced, particularly heavy goods vehicles (HGVs)? Measures could include restricting the movements of HGVs from local roads, building by-passes to divert through-traffic, and environmental road closures to discourage through-traffic.

So if the CAS has the effect of increasing car trips into and through the city centre then it is inherently in opposition the state's policy framework on encouraging cycling or improving the safety of cycling.

If the CAS has the effect of increasing HGV trips into and through the city centre then it is inherently in opposition to encouraging cycling or improving the safety of cycling in Kilkenny.

The presence or absence of cycle facilities on the bridge itself does not change that essential fact.

It's baffling that adrian shanahan a guy who calls himself a consulting engineer goes on about cyclist safety and the engineers in the council that when they were designing this bridge for cyclist safety didn't bother their arses to create a segregated cycling path if they really cared about cyclist safety. It seems to me that adrian and the boys in county hall are clutching at straws to trying to convince us that this bridge is giving priority to cyclists.

I am not necessarily a fan of the NTA Cycle Manual. However if you use their width calculator via that page then the cycle lanes on the bridge need to be 2.15m. So, based on that guidance, the cycle lanes as proposed are 0.65m too narrow.

http://www.cyclemanual.ie/manual/thebasics/width/

Some great points made their Galway cyclist.

• Advertisement

The bridge section of the Central Access Scheme with make it substantially safer for cyclists and pedestrians to cross the town that ever before. It gives more than 50% of its available space to non mortised transport users.

So far it would appear the intention of this scheme is to change the traffic regime in a manner that will make it inherently more dangerous and less attractive to walk and cycle in Kilkenny.

It may be that, from the perspective of cycling or walking, there are also specific flaws in the design of the roads associated with this scheme. From the artists impression of the bridge, it is immediately apparent that there is a problem with the cycle lanes.

Does anyone have a link to an engineers drawing of the roads associated with the scheme?

Might be useful to have a quick look.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

So far it would appear the intention of this scheme is to change the traffic regime in a manner that will make it inherently more dangerous and less attractive to walk and cycle in Kilkenny.

It may be that, from the perspective of cycling or walking, there are also specific flaws in the design of the roads associated with this scheme. From the artists impression of the bridge, it is immediately apparent that there is a problem with the cycle lanes.

Does anyone have a link to an engineers drawing of the roads associated with the scheme?

Might be useful to have a quick look.

Some drawings inc dimensions here:

http://www.kilkennycoco.ie/eng/Publications/Council_Publications/KCAS-Public-Screen-Presentation.pdf

Ok rather than jump straight into looking at the designs its better to start from first principles.

Most collisions, including car/bicycle, collisions happen at junctions.

The patterns in this diagram are taken from this paper: Layout and Design Factors Affecting Cycle Safety at T-Junctions, Henson R. and Whelan N., Traffic Engineering and Control, October 1992

193775.gif

If we look at the top three situations which involve failure to yield by turning motorists, we have
    1) Motor driver pull out from near side. 30%
    2) Motor driver turns across path of cyclist from offside. 12%
    3) Motor driver overtakes cyclist and turns into nearside junction. 6.5%

For the first one the issue is that you want to avoid designs that discourage motorists from slowing in the turn or yeilding. So very wide junction mouths with sweeping curves are bad news. The most extreme example is slip roads which are the most dangerous junction types for cyclists. You have motorists entering at an angle where they have to look over their right-shoulders to assess the road conditions. Cyclists, who will usually be on the far left can be missed.

In terms of avoiding these types of collision, the recomended advice for cyclists is to adopt a prominent road position in the vicinity of this type of junction. (Having first had regard for the nature and speed of following traffic.) If traffic conditions allow, you want to be out where the motorists are looking.

We can infer from these crash types that, for the cyclist, staying too far to the left might put them at increased risk. Therefore road features that encourage cyclists to keep too far left (cycle lanes) or which take cyclists completely out of the "zone of attention" of other drivers (roadside cycle paths) might tend to increase the likelihood of such collisions occurring.

If you combine a feature that keeps cyclists in to the left with a junction feature that discourages motorists from stopping or yielding then you have created a safety hazard.

If we look at Drawing 2 in the linked presentation then the junctions at Greens Bridge St and Wolfe Tone St stand out immediately.

325329.jpg

325330.jpg

In both cases motor traffic appears to be joining the road at an oblique angle.

Another point to note is that this type of wide-mouthed junction design increases the crossing distance and exposure to risk for pedestrians.

If you look at the screen shots there are dished kerbs set back from the junction mouth away from the pedestrian desire lines. Instead being favoured and helped pedestrians are expected to go out of their way to facilitate a road design that favours merging motor cars.

A point to note is that this design has been used despite the fact that there are stop lines at the junction anyway. (Although the geometry militates against it being respected)

Edit: What I mean by that last point is that if the designers genuinely want entering vehicles to "stop" then they could have built the footpath across the mouth of the junction as a raised ramp or "entry treatment". This would have the effect of getting vehicles to actually stop, recognising the pedestrians legal priority and making the road safer for cyclists.

If we look at the junction with Castlecomer road we see staggered crossings

Edit: This means instead of just letting people on foot cross in one go they have to stop in the middle and wait twice.

325333.jpg

These are discouraged by the latest design guidance (Design Manual for Urban Roads and Streets). Again we have a situation where in a historic town centre, the pedestrians are being managed for the benefit of cars rather than the other way around.

OK in the linked Kilkenny CC presentation it is Drawing 4 that really blows away the claim that this scheme is about improving access or safety for cyclists and pedestrians.

That drawing shows an "Irish" style roundabout at the junction of Newpark drive and Castlecomer Rd.

325342.jpg

Roundabouts of this type are inherently hostile to two-wheeled traffic and pedestrians. On roundabouts of this design cyclists have an injury accident rate that is up to 14-16 times that of motorists. Motorcycle/Scooter users have up to 10-13 times the injury rate.

These roundabouts are also challenge for pedestrians particularly anyone who might have limited mobility. If on foot you basically have to guess what the cars are going to do especially if crossing an exit.

Background discussion here:
    http://www.oocities.org/galwaycyclist/roundabout/roundabout01.html
    http://www.oocities.org/galwaycyclist/info/roundabouts.html

In the post above, I dealt with the issue of the danger created for cylists by slip-road type junction arrangements. One of the reasons Irish roundabouts are so dangerous is that they are composed of series of mini-slip roads. This diagram sets out the resulting crash types.

325344.gif

So the designers have marked cycle lanes on Castlecomer road and are then directing cyclists into a wholly inappropriate junction to use at such a location. In addition on this junction the designers have put in another secondary slip road on the western arm for left-turning traffic - see circled in red in first screenshot above.

There is also a left-diverge on the Castlecomer arm of the junction again creating a hazard. If you look at the cycle lane (circled red in screen shot below) the designers have put a yield sign in the cycle lane before the roundabout. So the design is so flawed, the design is so incompetent, that cyclists are now expected to yield to traffic coming from behind. In effect the normal rules of the road have been turned on their head.

325343.jpg

It is clear that instead being about promoting cycling and walking in Kilkenny, this scheme apparently involves creating a major hazard and obstacle for people who wish to cycle or walk in Kilkenny.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Thanks galwaycyclist,
    I think we all knew the claim of the CAS being safer for cyclist was nonsense (I certainly did as a cyclist), but you've done a far more detailed response then I ever could have and as such you've completely destroyed any such claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

very interesting posts and very well articulated...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

No one has produced evidence to match what has been shown by "Galwaycyclist", in respect to the councils plans to destroy much of the charm of our city, whether it be by design or inability is irrelevant. It is up to those who hold dearly the love of Kilkenny to unite and fight to save our heritage, not only for this moment but for the future.
    I hope that those who have condemned those citizen's who have and are still opposing the council's plans, will now realise the reason, unless the madness is stopped our once beautiful city will be destroyed.
    The plans for the old brewery site, what are we going to get? One has only to drive through our neighbours city, yes older than Kilkenny, you would not think it driving along the quay's and out on the Cork Road, as for cycling I personally would think one would need to make sure they have adequate life cover, which anyone trying to get round the Dublin road roundabout should think about.
    Yes Galwaycyclist your expertise is something to behold, thank you.
    Foxy for a medieval Kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Schindlers Pissed

The cycle paths in Kilkenny are a joke……..the one as you cycle out the Castlecomer road brings you straight into a pedestrian crossing that juts out into the road. Coming back in the road you have to cycle in by houses so you avoid a similar hazard. As you continue on it goes onto the footpath leading into the roundabout at the army barracks……it's like they were trying to paint a big game of Snakes & Ladders…..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Urethra Franklin

The cycle paths in Kilkenny are a joke……..the one as you cycle out the Castlecomer road brings you straight into a pedestrian crossing that juts out into the road. Coming back in the road you have to cycle in by houses so you avoid a similar hazard. As you continue on it goes onto the footpath leading into the roundabout at the army barracks……it's like they were trying to paint a big game of Snakes & Ladders…..

You should see the cycle lane on the Old Dublin Road outbound from Lackan House to the ring, it's actually dire and at one stage includes a sharp corner through a wall!

Advertisement