Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Petition to Prioritise the Ring Road over the Central Access Scheme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

Of course Kilkenny has to move forward; surely the heritage of the city should be preserved, isn't that what we sell to the tourists?
    You can go and see modern glass and concrete buildings anywhere, is there no way that within the confines of a certain area no structural changes will be allowed, the new bridge though it is tucked away so no one really comments; is it in keeping with the overall style of the city, no, it looks like it has wings and is about to fly off, something like the Samuel Beckett in Dublin, honestly would that be in keeping with the rest of the city? It may well fit in with the plans for the mart site, how much do these things cost? Who would be the designer etc?
    As someone said, this thread will probably run a lot longer than anticipated. There are many questions and very little information, I presume correct me, that all street parking in Vicar St and Dean St will have to go.
    I think it is a case of watch this thread for more info.
    Foxy

the bridge in that video is the old design it was redesigned after an bord pleanala refused it and it had to be lower and more in keeping with greensbridge and johns bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Wimbago

linny wrote: »
    Kilkenny has to move forward, and this is badly needed along with finishing the ring road, sooner its started the better

Finishing the ring road should be the priority. If traffic doesn't change much after it's complete then the CAS should be reviewed again.

If there is a bridge crossing the river further out, surely there would be well over half the current volumes using Greens Bridge? With that much of a drop in traffic would it not just render CAS to being almost a waste of money?

It just seems illogical that CAS would be done before completing the ring road given the gains of the former would minor compared the gains of the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

Wimbago wrote: »
    Finishing the ring road should be the priority. If traffic doesn't change much after it's complete then the CAS should be reviewed again.

If there is a bridge crossing the river further out, surely there would be well over half the current volumes using Greens Bridge? With that much of a drop in traffic would it not just render CAS to being almost a waste of money?

It just seems illogical that CAS would be done before completing the ring road given the gains of the former would minor compared the gains of the latter.

That is the only sensible solution. Unfortunately, the Borough Council have been chipping away at the medieval fabric of the city since the 1970s in the interest of "commercial development". They are so short-sighted they can't even persuade tourists to overnight in Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

That is a fairly damming statement relating to the council's attitude, one can see there have been developments which in all honesty have done little or nothing for our jewel in the south east.
    However, I do have a problem that there is a crossing of thread's, is it all down to the council? Running round yesterday I went past two hotel's with those flashing signs, one was advertising rooms at 80euro per person sharing PPS, the other was 89PPS.
    So for a couple it has cost us 180Euro or there abouts, whether there was an evening meal thrown in I didn't look, but if not we have to eat.
    It matters not which of our eateries one goes, outside of the early bird menu, you would be hard pushed to get away with 100euro for the two of you.
    During your sight seeing of course coffee/tea and maybe a scone or similar suddenly our night in Kilkenny has cost 300euro, not two nights, just one.
    So we are enchanted at the delights of the city; we stop for two nights, 600 smackers gone, we haven't even considered going to one of the many bars with music, don't get me wrong, I am not knocking Kilkenny, you probably get more for your money than many other cities/towns in Ireland.
    The point being the council have no control over this aspect, maybe one of the many B&B's could lessen the cost, some offer fantastic value I am told.
    But the main point is, can we afford to stay overnight, if we wanted a drink, the car would be left at the hotel, Taxi added to bill, then there is the biggest crime of all, if a tourist had to walk down John St late night, from what people say, would they ever come back?
    I think is an extremely good point about tourists stopping or not stopping overnight.
    Having been on one of those special supermarket offer's, perhaps not it was grim to say the least.
    Up for the match Foxy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Kilkenny has to move forward, and this is badly needed along with finishing the ring road, sooner its started the better

Finish the ring road first and then we can look at building this pointless bridge

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

That is a fairly damming statement relating to the council's attitude, one can see there have been developments which in all honesty have done little or nothing for our jewel in the south east.
    However, I do have a problem that there is a crossing of thread's, is it all down to the council? Running round yesterday I went past two hotel's with those flashing signs, one was advertising rooms at 80euro per person sharing PPS, the other was 89PPS.
    So for a couple it has cost us 180Euro or there abouts, whether there was an evening meal thrown in I didn't look, but if not we have to eat.
    It matters not which of our eateries one goes, outside of the early bird menu, you would be hard pushed to get away with 100euro for the two of you.
    During your sight seeing of course coffee/tea and maybe a scone or similar suddenly our night in Kilkenny has cost 300euro, not two nights, just one.
    So we are enchanted at the delights of the city; we stop for two nights, 600 smackers gone, we haven't even considered going to one of the many bars with music, don't get me wrong, I am not knocking Kilkenny, you probably get more for your money than many other cities/towns in Ireland.
    The point being the council have no control over this aspect, maybe one of the many B&B's could lessen the cost, some offer fantastic value I am told.
    But the main point is, can we afford to stay overnight, if we wanted a drink, the car would be left at the hotel, Taxi added to bill, then there is the biggest crime of all, if a tourist had to walk down John St late night, from what people say, would they ever come back?
    I think is an extremely good point about tourists stopping or not stopping overnight.
    Having been on one of those special supermarket offer's, perhaps not it was grim to say the least.
    Up for the match Foxy
    Please stick to the thread's topic. This has nothing to do with the CAS.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

Would this CAS solve the problem of idiots parking up to the lights outside Joes on the double yellow lines? If so then I'm all for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

Doff wrote: »
    Would this CAS solve the problem of idiots parking up to the lights outside Joes on the double yellow lines? If so then I'm all for it.

I rest my case :)

I don't see parking outside "Joes" has anything to do with CAS, I thought that is why we have parking attendants?
    I would suspect with the increased volume of traffic parking in Dean Street will be terminated, as it is at the moment is a nonsense.
    I would like to know, and so far there has been little discussion of how to get to Padmore and Barnes and the Nore Bar, is this new bridge going over the roads already there or integrated into the existing roads.
    I would ask if we are in such a hurry to embark on a major upheaval of the lower part of the city, what is anticipated to be going on the mart site, or is this new road one that doesn't actually do anything for anything.
    We know Vicar street is going to be knocked about but what is being sacrificed at the other end.
    It seems the peace park is going to be short lived, as such is it being moved elsewhere?
    In conclusion I really do not think agreeing to all of this on the basis of parking outside Joe's is a very good reason for acceptance of a seemingly mumbo jumbo state of affairs.
    Foxy

have a look at page 182-186 for pics of the bridge, and from reading it the bridge will travel over the park http://www.kilkennycoco.ie/resources/CAS/CAS_Volume%202.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

273740.png

Jeez that is an eye sore.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Oh, god, seriously?!

I genuinely thought they would make an attempt to do something which would fit in better than that!!

I like it

Seriously?

Where it is / is going to be?

Nothing wrong with it in a different context, but ...

modern vibrant new

modern vibrant new
    Parachuted in to a landscape which is historical / old ... I take it you agree with me then that it doesn't fit the context?

If someone had suggested building a tower-house in the middle of Dundrum Shopping Centre, they would have been laughed out of court ... and rightly so.

When will people realise that dumping the modern into the middle of the old can look just as farcical and ridiculous, unless approached with huge care and sensitivity (the internal renovations of the Parade Tower at the Castle are a good example of one which actually works).

Nor are "modern" and "new" necessarily synonymous with "good" in any language ... to mention just one example, the Ballymun tower blocks were pretty much sold to the public as modern, vibrant and new in the 60s. Where are they now?

Built further down stream it would probably pass, where the council want to site it makes a laughing stock of Kilkenny, come and see the council that has fcuked the ancient city with a bridge.
    Is there any way we can get these jokers removed before they do any more damage, we don't really have to guess what is going to happen to the mart site do we?
    Down the plug hole Foxy

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Building it further downstream would be ideal.

Building it a mile further downstream would be even more ideal.

Building it a mile further downstream would make it the completed ring road.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

...oh cr**t...its shocking....I bet they're going to put dodgy coloured lights on it too...iys just so out of place and context...I still dont get why this bridge in this location absolutely has to go ahead????

poor old greenes bridge., hidden away behind it....sad really...such arrogance really saddens me..I thought that after the last 80 years of poor planing that we had actually learned something in ireland..apparently not....

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

Threadhead wrote: »
    Building it further downstream would be ideal.

Building it a mile further downstream would be even more ideal.

Building it a mile further downstream would make it the completed ring road.

Not to be pedantic but I think you mean upstream, not downstream.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

pueblo wrote: »
    Not to be pedantic, but saying 'not to be pedantic' doesn't make it not pedantic :P

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

pueblo wrote: »

I was actually paraphrasing foxcoverteddy when I said downstream so I'm going to blame him for that one.

I, of course, totally knew the difference between both parts of the river.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

Daemos wrote: »
    Not to be pedantic, but saying 'not to be pedantic' doesn't make it not pedantic :P

Doesn't it not?

It is all down to the oil industry, we have different definitions to downstream and upstream, you can also have mid-stream, sorry if I confuse people but using words in a different context does cause problems, I will remember next time, the North Sea can be rough at this time of year.
    Wherever the bloody bridge is, it is an abomination.
    Foxy

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

It reminds me of Sim City when you build the crappy old style bridges then you get loads of money and start building the flashy one :(

What those photos do not factor in is that the brewer factory will be knocked down by then.
    I would love to know what the have planned for the brewery. I know they are building a micro Smithwicks brewery for tourist (guninness are pumping 2/3 million in to it) but where are they going to do that exactly.

That Bridge looks is horrendous. If they go ahead with this bridge then the at the very least it should be completed in old store to be in tune with john bridge and greens bridge.

Could we not have had a competition to design the bridge? I expect we will then be told the name, well it should be down to the people of Kilkenny, not the council, I suggest whoever wins the design competition, not a professional, or a hurler, the bridge should be named after them. at the moment I could suggest the "Folly Bridge"

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

Could we not have had a competition to design the bridge? I expect we will then be told the name, well it should be down to the people of Kilkenny, not the council, I suggest whoever wins the design competition, not a professional, or a hurler, the bridge should be named after them. at the moment I could suggest the "Folly Bridge"

"The Foxy Bridge" ??

Thank you, lovely gesture. Have a great day. Foxy

• Advertisement

Rantan wrote: »
    "The Foxy Bridge" ??

That would be priceless. Anytime foxy wades in with a randomTesco argument we could say “look we built you a bridge!...now could you pleaseget over it!” :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::)

Advertisement