Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Petition to Prioritise the Ring Road over the Central Access Scheme

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I hate admitting it but the greatest ally the CAS is the Greens, they can't be trusted to open a bottle.

They've allowed the argument to be framed around a few houses when in reality the real problem is that this proposed road only delivers people to traffic bottlenecks quicker rather than relieving congestion.

The completion of the ringroad is both logical and practical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Mocadonna

catbear wrote: »
    I hate admitting it but the greatest ally the CAS is the Greens, they can't be trusted to open a bottle.

They've allowed the argument to be framed around a few houses when in reality the real problem is that this proposed road only delivers people to traffic bottlenecks quicker rather than relieving congestion.

The completion of the ringroad is both logical and practical.

Exactly, look at the petition title. Nothing mentioned about saving houses.

Unfortunately though, I think this is the only way that you'll manage to turn the council as they seem hell bent on this project, and can't for some reason see the logic of taking traffic out of town. So without getting an archaeological reason or a court order it's going to be very difficult to stop this. Though maybe I'm giving them too much credit! Their talk of a "silent majority" etc is just introducing more red herrings for the pro CAS side to attack and doesn't develop the debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

from an anti CAS side I was very alarmed when the focus of attention shifted to the houses...it dissapointed me a lot really....it detracts from the serious concerns that most objectors have
    ie. is it actually necessary?/completing the ring road/ its overall impact on the historic environment in that part of town(being the site of the origins of KK) etc etc...

if the houses are found to be modern and not to have any arch. significance, it justifies the entire scheme for teh council..but actually does nothing to address the core issues - which most CAS objectors have voiced here.
    If the scheme had genuine merit I would expect the majority of objectors would not oppose the removal of those houses, assuming the correct procedures were carried out,,,ie. research, investigation and any rescue arch. that was needed

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Rantan wrote: »
    from an anti CAS side I was very alarmed when the focus of attention shifted to the houses...it dissapointed me a lot really....it detracts from the serious concerns that most objectors have
    ie. is it actually necessary?/completing the ring road/ its overall impact on the historic environment in that part of town(being the site of the origins of KK) etc etc...

if the houses are found to be modern and not to have any arch. significance, it justifies the entire scheme for teh council..but actually does nothing to address the core issues - which most CAS objectors have voiced here.
    If the scheme had genuine merit I would expect the majority of objectors would not oppose the removal of those houses, assuming the correct procedures were carried out,,,ie. research, investigation and any rescue arch. that was needed

I absolutely agree. I'm very much anti CAS but if those houses have no significance then I don't see why at the least, they shouldn't make way for an entrance to the redeveloped brewery site. Or something else of use that's not a bridge to the mart.

• Advertisement

Potentially bad news for having another viable entrance to the brewery site.

Potentially good news for not having another big ugly bridge that no one needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I despair...no one gave a toss about these old shacks until the road was planned. It really is incredible, you'd swear listening to their propaganda KK Council had some kind of huge Ceaucescu-esque plan to demolish half of medieval Kilkenny and bury it under concrete.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

That would be class!

Anca Petrescu is dead unfortunately. She died recently enough actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

road_high wrote: »
    I despair...no one gave a toss about these old shacks until the road was planned. It really is incredible, you'd swear listening to their propaganda KK Council had some kind of huge Ceaucescu-esque plan to demolish half of medieval Kilkenny and bury it under concrete.

couldn't of put it better myself

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

They serve a purpose to stop the CAS,
    Perhaps not ideal but its a means to an end.

Lets be honest, Kilkenny cc have allowed some awful things to happen in the city

How they ever allowed these to be built - http://goo.gl/maps/w2ndK is beyond me.

I don't blame people for not trusting the council, you've only to go to Dublin to see what the council will do to get what they want regardless of what is found....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_Quay

• Advertisement

With the planning phase of a new bridge to join the ring road instigated the more delayed the CAS gets the better.

Although one of the aims of the N77 extension is to "complement the proposed Central Access Scheme' I don't see how the CAS is in any way integral to the completion of the ring road; we could benefit from the extension while the CAS will end up a white elephant.

Sky King wrote: »
    That would be class!

Anca Petrescu is dead unfortunately. She died recently enough actually.

Fat chance! It seems you can't change a paving slab in KK any more with uproar from some "interest" group or other.
    I believe the local authroities here do broadly get alot right in their planning. New infrastructure is welcomed with open arms in so many other towns and cities but in Kilkenny you will have some busybodies crowing "it's a waste of money or not needed or detrimental to the Medieval fabric of Kilkenny" (which appears to be the favourite catchphrase these days).

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Silverscott

The ring road will go ahead, heard from a few people who own the land in the way and bits need to be taken etc. When is the ?

The ring road will go ahead, heard from a few people who own the land in the way and bits need to be taken etc. When is the ?

CPO's were issued there lately alright.

CPO's were issued there lately alright.
    That's great to hear, once people know the northern side of the city will be linked up they'll be less inclined to support the CAS.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

linny wrote: »

I'd love to know how much taxpayers money was squandered over this? These houses were as medieval as the Ring road ;)....I do have a problem with the design of the bridge itself, it looks awful in the plan pics.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

This is a real shame in my opinion. I really think that future generations will look at the new bridge as badly designed and thought out. Just because the city has funding but this development does not mean we have to build it.

Their are other way to develop our city rather than this plan.

I'm actually really heart broken/upset by the idea of this bridge been built.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Whatever your view on the new bridge and the CAS, using the Vicar St houses as an excuse to halt the project was/is pathetic. As another poster said, the squandering of money is sad to say the least. I have no problem with locals expressing their disproval of the bridge but I feel they were misled into supporting the retention of those houses at a huge cost.

Amusing really that the same people who engaged in trying to retain the houses had nothing to say about the state that Greens Bridge is in for more than twenty years. Hopefully we can now look forward to having the scaffolding removed from the Bridge, the stone wall replaced and have it pedestrianised when the new bridge opens.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

Grats wrote: »
    SNIP.. Hopefully we can now look forward to having the scaffolding removed from the Bridge, the stone wall replaced and have it pedestrianised when the new bridge opens.

It seems that another new pedestrian bridge called the Greensbridge Way is to be built upstream of Greensbridge according to the Draft Development Plan 2014 - 2020 section 10.1.2.4 "....the Greensbridge Way will provide a pedestrian/cycle crossing upstream of Greensbridge."

http://www.ourplan.kilkenny.ie/node/134

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The scary thing is most people in Kilkenny don't have a clue what the centra;l access scheme bridge will look like,

When I've described it or showed them a picture of the current design to anyone I've talked to they've said they don't want it built there, they also didn't realise how close to John's bridge the new bridge would be.

Cabaal wrote: »
    The scary thing is most people in Kilkenny don't have a clue what the centra;l access scheme bridge will look like,

When I've described it or showed them a picture of the current design to anyone I've talked to they've said they don't want it built there, they also didn't realise how close to John's bridge the new bridge would be.

Like the pedestrian bridge, it will have been built before people realise how unsuitable the design is. Funny that the council hired a PR company to issue its latest statement on Vicar St. Wonder how much money it cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭miece16

get it up i say. can't wait for the new road and bridge in the city

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Cabaal wrote: »

And yet so many people are against it despite knowing very little about it.

Einhard wrote: »

Most people are against it simply because its poorly designed and cuts the city in half, thats reason enough.

The whole plan is a cop out being used instead of finishing the ringroad, very shortsighted.

When you see the actual designs of the road, its placement and the design of the bridge things get so much worse

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Mankbag

Grats wrote: »
    Whatever your view on the new bridge and the CAS, using the Vicar St houses as an excuse to halt the project was/is pathetic. As another poster said, the squandering of money is sad to say the least. I have no problem with locals expressing their disproval of the bridge but I feel they were misled into supporting the retention of those houses at a huge cost.

Sorry, but what exactly is the "huge cost" that has been incurred on these houses? Do you know? If so, are you going to tell us? And if you don't know, how can you say it's "huge"?

Also, please let's not have any crocodile tears from any poster here about Kilkenny County Council "squandering money". Kilkenny County Council squander money all the time. They pay out substantial sums every year to consultants despite having staff of their own. Reckon that money is well spent? Reckon the money spent on those awful maroon street signs was well spent? Reckon the new footbridge was worth €600,000?

The one traffic situation in the city that needs urgent attention is the Kennyswell Road situation, which is truly frightening. That can only be solved by the completion of the ring road. The CAS situation is the reddest of red herrings. The County Council are determined to press ahead with it simply because they can.

Too many people are taking what the Council says at face value and are failing to ask why the CAS is needed. (Including the Kilkenny People, who have been behaving as the Council's PR arm - "Small crowd" indeed!) If you disagree with that statement, then remember this. The Council said the CAS was essential for the old Mart site, an argument that's now obsolete. So why exactly is the CAS needed? Other than because the Council say it is?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

@Mankbag. I actually think the Pedestrian bridge is a great addition to the city and while not the prettiest of things I would actually be in favour of another pedestrian bridge. Put it exactly where they plan to put the CAS bridge.

My main quibble is the bringing of traffic through he city. Their is absolutely no need to bring extra traffic through the city. Only bring traffic that wants to experience the city. i.e shoppers and tourists.

Think the whole situation needs to be looked at from another point of view. How do we get people into the city without adding to the congestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

miece16 wrote: »
    get it up i say. can't wait for the new road and bridge in the city

Amen to that!

Einhard wrote: »

Some people would in principle be against any development in a historically important city centre full stop. They're entitled to hold their opinion just as much as the rest of us. It's the same with pylons, wind turbines politics etc, anyone is entitled to a view without knowing much about the subject. Otherwise we're heading into Taliban territory.

• Advertisement

Why are people for it though? That's the question that's never adequately answered. Greens Bridge is definitely in bad shape, no doubt about it but I can't see what the CAS will achieve that completing the ring road won't. I can't see why it's needed.

The Brewery site argument for the CAS is an absolutely ridiculous one too. Sure, it would be great to have another entrance to the site but it's entirely possible to knock the houses on Vicar Street and have a new street that accesses the Brewery site without having to build a bridge alongside it. Knocking the houses, I get. Building this bridge is the baffling part.

Advertisement