Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Distance runner taking up yoga

Options
  • 27-05-2013 9:08pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

I've been thinking of taking up yoga to complement my running routine. I have extremely tense calves and a weak achilles so I'm hoping to alleviate some of the strain I exert upon them.

Which form or forms of yoga would be most effective for this? I would be delighted if there was a form that tackled this and also did some core strengthening to boot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Where are you based? I go to a class on Tuesday and it's focused at runners and cyclists.

I think any type will help. They all focus on stretching. I do vinyassa and hatha and both have been hugely helpful with my tight calves as I cycle lots. I find asthanga and hot too much for me. It's kinda a personal preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Distance-running yoga practitioner here with formerly tight calves, achilles and weak core :)

Most yogis will tell you that the best form for you is the one you enjoy the most. For me, that is simply Vinyasa Yoga (movements changing on inhalations/exhalations) as it gives me a chance to improve my focus, concentration and breathing which have great mental benefits for running. I'd imagine all forms of yoga would be good for your physical needs though.

Check out The Runner's Guide to Yoga - lots of poses with particular benefits for runners. It's best to start off with a class. I really wouldn't know where to go for a class so maybe someone else here could recommend a class. If you don't know what form of yoga would suit you, you could try out a few different classes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭lazlo

Pembily wrote: »
    Where are you based? I go to a class on Tuesday and it's focused at runners and cyclists.

I think any type will help. They all focus on stretching. I do vinyassa and hatha and both have been hugely helpful with my tight calves as I cycle lots. I find asthanga and hot too much for me. It's kinda a personal preference.

I'm in Bray, where are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Pembily wrote: »
    I find asthanga and hot too much for me. It's kinda a personal preference.

Fully agree with this - my usual class is an ashtanga class and I really enjoy it, but I can find some hatha classes a bit too slow for my personal preferences! The fact that my class is immediately after work, 5 minutes from the office, and has a really good instructor really helps though.

Nothing like the post class jelly legs on the bike home though :D :pac:

FWIW I can't stand hot yoga, the extra heat makes me feel quite uncomfortable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭lazlo

I don't like heat so hot yoga is a write-off from the get go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

I'm going to order that book thanks. Looking for a class near Baldoyle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭burrenyoga

Yoga teachers contact details for Baldoyle (and other parts of Dublin) are listed at
    http://www.burrenyoga.com/yoga-ireland/local-yoga-classes/dublin-yoga-classes/

Best Wishes,
    Dave

Advertisement