Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

indicator problem

• 27-05-2013 9:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭

I fitted a set of LED indicators to the front of my 99 r1 at the weekend. The rear already had LEDS fitted and they worked fine. My problem is that whenever I activate them now, both the left and right rear indicators flash! If I activate the left indicators, the rear right will also flash but not quite as bright as the left. I checked the connection and tried refitting the original lights but the problem persists. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

That sounds like a wiring problem somewhere along the lines... I would check all the insulation on the wires too. When you were changing the indicators you may have moved / disturbed problem area from before and is now making contact it should not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭sean61

Yes I thought it might be a problem with an earth but couldn't find a problem. Looks like I'll have to check all the loom then

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Alfonzito

Maybe you have checked, but I understand that LED lights are polarised i.e. they must be connected the correct way round unlike a conventional incandescent lamp which can be connected any way to the power source.

Worth a try before digging deeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭sean61

Alfonzito wrote: »
    Maybe you have checked, but I understand that LED lights are polarised i.e. they must be connected the correct way round unlike a conventional incandescent lamp which can be connected any way to the power source.

Worth a try before digging deeper.

Yes I tried that. The problem seems to be with the rear indicators even though they've been there for months. I was trying to find a solution earlier and if I connect the old incandescent bulbs instead of the rear LED's, everything works fine. In fact, I now have them connected into the wiring under the passenger seat as well as the LED's which are built into the tail and everything works fine! I don't want a set of indicators taking up the already small space in there though, so I'd still like to fix the problem. I also tried connecting resistors to mimic the incandescents that should be there but it made no difference. They were purchased from china on ebay though, so they could be duds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

do you have the load resistors on all the leds? is the indicator relay the stock one? reckon its something to do with the relay not working with the low load the leds draw

I would consider swapping to one that can handle leds off the bat, especially since now you're on led's all round. Something like this - http://www.customled.com/products/flasher_relay/flasher_relay.htm - link just for information, you can get em on ebay for little monies. Means you can ditch the resistors then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

More that likely the load resistor as mentioned above. Surprised it did not come with the new indicators. They can be got from most places. This should do the job. http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Motorcycle-Universal-In-Line-Resistors-For-Motorbike-LED-Indicators-1-Pair-/251169705087?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item3a7ae18c7f

If all is working ok when you put the old bub back in that would suggest to me that the wiring is all good.

Advertisement