Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet or Sky or Vodafone Broadband

• 27-05-2013 10:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭

We are moving to a new apartment in a couple of weeks and I am so confused about which ISP to choose. We have had UPC TV and Internet for years but they cant supply our internet in the new apartment.

I figured I would just switch TV and phone to Sky but the can only provide me with the internet and no TV.

Any opinions on what my best bet might be?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

...Or eircom?

If your not willing to enter a contract you could get Magnet but they have a throlling policy which may pose a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭closifer

Mr. G wrote: »
    ...Or eircom?

If your not willing to enter a contract you could get Magnet but they have a throlling policy which may pose a problem.

I hadnt included Eircom because of torrent related policies. What is throlling!?

I suppose Im just looking for the most comparable to UPC in terms of speeds, connection etc. We only have the 50mb package with UPC but find it great and ideally we wouldnt be changing at all..

closifer wrote: »
    I hadnt included Eircom because of torrent related policies. What is throlling!?

I suppose Im just looking for the most comparable to UPC in terms of speeds, connection etc. We only have the 50mb package with UPC but find it great and idally we woulnt be changing at all..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=84788765

Put simply if you go over a certain amount of data usage they will reduce your speeds to 1mb.

Check to see if the line there is ok for vdsl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Mr. G wrote: »
    ...Or eircom?

Its not throlling, its throttling, which is as you describe above.

OP, no matter who you get, they will not be able to match UPC fibre, if all you can get is dsl. Check the Eircom and Voda websites to see if efibre is available at your new address.

Forgive my typos :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jamesnp

Its not throlling, its throttling, which is as you describe above.

OP, no matter who you get, they will not be able to match UPC fibre, if all you can get is dsl. Check the Eircom and Voda websites to see if efibre is available at your new address.

[Current] VDSL offerings are killing UPC 'fibre' on upload speeds.

-jp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Iano_128

jamesnp wrote: »
    [Current] VDSL offerings are killing UPC 'fibre' on upload speeds.

-jp

What do you mean by that? I'm with Eircom at the moment, UPC aren't available, ive been with near every company you can name and because of our line all we can get is around 3-4mb so no matter what company we've been with the internet is always ****e! is there any alternative to UPC like what you've just mentioned?

Iano_128 wrote: »
    What do you mean by that? I'm with Eircom at the moment, UPC aren't available, ive been with near every company you can name and because of our line all we can get is around 3-4mb so no matter what company we've been with the internet is always ****e! is there any alternative to UPC like what you've just mentioned?

Eircom are rolling out VDSL services at the moment under the eFibre brand. https://secure.eircom.net/fibre/ . I was just pointing out that the upload on their packages is 20mbps, which is an order of magnatitude faster than UPC's fastest package.

-jp

Eircom are rolling out VDSL services at the moment under the eFibre brand. https://secure.eircom.net/fibre/ . I was just pointing out that the upload on their packages is 20mbps, which is an order of magnatitude faster than UPC's fastest package.

-jp

I see! Thanks for that, July to December this year according to the website it'll be available for us! I think I heard something about it though that it won't all be fiber, apparently coming from the exchange will still be the old copper cables is that right? because if it is then surely it doesn't matter what cable they have going to the exchange, once it's still copper cable from the exchange to your house it'll still be the same or maybe a little improved?

I see! Thanks for that, July to December this year according to the website it'll be available for us! I think I heard something about it though that it won't all be fiber, apparently coming from the exchange will still be the old copper cables is that right? because if it is then surely it doesn't matter what cable they have going to the exchange, once it's still copper cable from the exchange to your house it'll still be the same or maybe a little improved?

It's still copper cable, but the difference is that the copper cable comes from the fibre cabinet on your road now, and not all the way from the exchange.

-jp

• Advertisement

Ah I see! I'm still holding out for UPC to be available because my heart is broken with the ADSL broadband! I'm with Eircom now and have this problem that at 11:23pm every night it drops connection and gets it back around 5 mins later. I've lost all will to even ring them and complain about it.. Just crossing my fingers that UPC decide to lay their cables in my area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

Will Sky not be fibre powered since it uses eircoms lines ?

Will Sky not be fibre powered since it uses eircoms lines ?

I presumed they were already?

I presumed they were already?

nope!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

So what will Eircom leave their old cables for sky or will they all be fibre ?
    Sky should have done it through the dish and cut the line rental ..

Sky doing it through the dish would have been a great idea but don't know how reliable it would have been! I'm sure they thought about it and had their reasons for going with the phone lines..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

the best thing to do is look at what you need and then pick the provider for that service

Questions you need to ask yourself

1) Do you need / can you get fibre broadband? (not all providers offer fibre)
    2) Do you want broadband only or calls and broadband and can your provider offer this?
    3) What is most important - price, speed, download limits - some have unlimited , some do not
    4) If you make cals - what call are included? Landlines, mobiles, international etc and are you limited to when you can make those calls (for example off peak only)

Then compare all:-

http://www.vodafone.ie/home-phone-broadband?icmp=hpb-pos1-simplyfibre
    http://www.magnet.ie
    http://www.sky.com/ireland/broadband-talk
    http://www.eircom.net/athome/
    http://www.digiweb.ie

And pick the one that suits you best :)

Hope that helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 xpto

Hello,

I would go with Magnet. Great price for quality. They used to have a product that was 30MB Fibre (real fibre) for 20 euros/month hopefully they still have it.

I've been with magnet for 2 years now and there was not even a day without service.

Great Customer Service as well.

xpto wrote: »
    Hello,

I would go with Meteor. Great price for quality. They used to have a product that was 30MB Fibre (real fiber) for 20 euros/month hopefully they still have it.

I've been with meteor for 2 years now and there was not even a day without service.

Great Customer Service as well.

Meteor don't offer fixed line Broadband or "Fibre" of any kind? Are you talking about a mobile 3G based service?

-jp

Hi JP,

Apologies I meant Magnet. :)

Updated the post.

• Advertisement

xpto wrote: »
    Hi JP,

Apologies I meant Magnet. :)

Haha, I was wondering! Yeah, I'm on Magnet. They offer fibre to the home in certain apartment complexes, and they're offering fibre to the cabinet now too through eircom's new VDSL service.

I'm very happy with them. The one caveat is that they have recently introduced a throttling policy.

-jp

Ah now I understand why the speed of my internet decreased. I'm still happy with magnet fibre speed, but it used to be faster. I actually checked once or twice my router to see if there was someone else making use of it :)

Thanks for that info.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Twoandahalfmen

Magnet have great Internet.
    So go with them for the net and a landline.
    And TV with sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 allig8or

closifer wrote: »
    We are moving to a new apartment in a couple of weeks and I am so confused about which ISP to choose. We have had UPC TV and Internet for years but they cant supply our internet in the new apartment.

I figured I would just switch TV and phone to Sky but the can only provide me with the internet and no TV.

Any opinions on what my best bet might be?

You have two choices dont move and keep your fast broadband or move and be forever on the phone to muppets in tech support about overpriced and under achieving broadband, of course you can move to another fiber powered area also. BTW do your research before deciding who you sign with and don't listen to promises of 24mb un contended broadband these are impossible connections over dsl phone lines, I know I have been round the block a few times

• Registered Users Posts: 22 allig8or

that is believable

Advertisement