Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Important info required on eFibre installation

Options
  • 27-05-2013 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

I have good reason to ask these questions because I applied for Fibre this time last year (which was available in my area then) but when the two engineers arrived to install it the info I had been given over the phone before the purchase was completely wrong resulting in it not being installed followed by two weeks of absolute misery with Eircom with no broadband at all. So, let's get started.

1. All the website info assumes everyone wants wireless. I don't. 

Q. Does the new modem have 4 LAN ports?

2. The first thing that the engineers spotted was my Eircom Phonewatch. They said that once the fibre was connected I would lose my landline and, therefore, the alarm monitoring. Unless I was to install a GSM? device to the alarm at an additional cost of €149.This was subsequently confirmed by Phonewatch.

Q. Does this still apply to a monitored alarm system?

3. The engineers insisted that the modem MUST be installed beside the main phone socket in the hall and that there MUST be an adjacent power outlet. None of the 500 houses in my estate has a power outlet adjacent to the phone socket in the hall. My request to have the modem installed beside or near the PC's (where the existing Eircom modem is installed) was refused point-blank.
    Now, reading through the Getting Ready/Getting Setup info on the website it says:

Before our engineer arrives, it's a good idea todecide where you want your modem to be located. It needs to be connected to your main phone socket.So if you want to put it a distance away from phone socket and there's a lot offurniture in the way you might clear it out so we can get straight to work.We might have to drill a few minor holes but wewon't be lifting up the carpet or anything like that.

Q. Does this actually mean what it says? Will the installers now agree to run the line from the hall socket and install the modem beside or at least near to the PC's (all downstairs in the same room, BTW and none upstairs) so I can use Ethernet Cables to each PC. It's a 3-bed semi so it's not far and I have a ready made duct along the wall. 

Looking forward to your reply.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

Mebuntu wrote: »
    I have good reason to ask these questions because I applied for Fibre this time last year (which was available in my area then) but when the two engineers arrived to install it the info I had been given over the phone before the purchase was completely wrong resulting in it not being installed followed by two weeks of absolute misery with Eircom with no broadband at all. So, let's get started.

1. All the website info assumes everyone wants wireless. I don't. 

2. The first thing that the engineers spotted was my Eircom Phonewatch. They said that once the fibre was connected I would lose my landline and, therefore, the alarm monitoring. Unless I was to install a GSM? device to the alarm at an additional cost of €149.This was subsequently confirmed by Phonewatch.

3. The engineers insisted that the modem MUST be installed beside the main phone socket in the hall and that there MUST be an adjacent power outlet. None of the 500 houses in my estate has a power outlet adjacent to the phone socket in the hall. My request to have the modem installed beside or near the PC's (where the existing Eircom modem is installed) was refused point-blank.
    Now, reading through the Getting Ready/Getting Setup info on the website it says:

Before our engineer arrives, it's a good idea todecide where you want your modem to be located. It needs to be connected to your main phone socket.So if you want to put it a distance away from phone socket and there's a lot offurniture in the way you might clear it out so we can get straight to work.We might have to drill a few minor holes but wewon't be lifting up the carpet or anything like that.

Q. Does this actually mean what it says? Will the installers now agree to run the line from the hall socket and install the modem beside or at least near to the PC's (all downstairs in the same room, BTW and none upstairs) so I can use Ethernet Cables to each PC. It's a 3-bed semi so it's not far and I have a ready made duct along the wall. 

Looking forward to your reply.

It sounds like the service you were to get installed last year was fibre to the home, which quite possibly would have cut off the phonewatch.

A. Yes it does, it has 4 gigabit LAN ports, you can disable the wireless if you wish.

A. A new socket will be fitted that will allow for phonewatch to continue working through the phone line. The socket will look like this http://i.imgur.com/sGrQ0rA.jpg and will filter out the other sockets in the house too.

Q. Does this actually mean what it says? Will the installers now agree to run the line from the hall socket and install the modem beside or at least near to the PC's?

A. Yes you can request the engineer to install an additional socket up to 30 metres away from the main drop and have the modem there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭eircom: Tracey

Hi Mebuntu,

I have looked into this for you and can confirm that yes the new modem has 4 gigabit Lan ports.

The technician will install the modem where you wish in the house as long as it is up to 30 metres of cable from the main drop.

I have sent off your question in relation to phonewatch and Fibre working together to get a definite answer, I will come back to you when I have that information.

Thanks

Tracey

Hi Mebuntu,

Can you please PM me your telephone number and I will check the Fibre situation to your house?

Thanks

Tracey

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

Thanks Allen175 and Tracey for such prompt replies. I now await Tracey's confirmation on the Phonewatch.

BTW, it's FTTC in my case and the distance is not even 10 metres so I should be fine.

Thanks, Tracey. Have pm'd you.

Website confirms fibre available.

• Advertisement

Thank you. I will come back with an answer as soon as  I can.

Thanks

Tracey

Hmm...
    You'd have thought that, with hundreds of thousands of people having Eircom Phonewatch or other monitored alarms, this would already have featured as a matter resolved prior to launch of eFibre and would be included in the FAQ.

Hi mebuntu,

[font=Times New Roman", "serif]I have had confirmation that when the Fibre is to the cabinet it will not interfere with your monitored alarm system, its only customers that have Fibre to the house that will have to get a GSM system in place. [/font]

[font=Times New Roman", "serif] [/font]

[font=Times New Roman", "serif]Sorry for any inconvenience caused. [/font]

[font=Times New Roman", "serif]Thanks[/font]

[font=Times New Roman", "serif]Tracey [/font]

Thanks, Tracey. I have just come off the phone from Eircom who have confirmed that this is the case and concurring with Allen175's observation.

Thanks for all your efforts here which are a far cry from last year's debacle of misinformation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Mebuntu wrote: »
    Thanks, Tracey. I have just come off the phone from Eircom who have confirmed that this is the case and concurring with Allen175's observation.

Thanks for all your efforts here which are a far cry from last year's debacle of misinformation.

Hi Mebuntu

Sorry for the trouble in getting this clarified through the different departments. I will pass on the post to Tracey.

Mark

• Advertisement
Advertisement