Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tt/aero bars

Options
  • 27-05-2013 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi all.

Competed in my first sprint triathlon at the weekend. Very pleased with my bike time. Managed 35.05 for 20k. However, when cycling the last 5-7k into a strong breeze, I was only passed by cyclists using aero bars.

I'm cycling a Cervelo S2. I know the basic differences between draft legal and non-draft legal.

I would appreciate feedback as to whether aero bars would be of any significant benefit to me at this early stage. If so, what specific models would people recommend, based on their own personal experience.

Thanks, Eoin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Aero bars would be a help to many people but not all - a 35 minute 20k isn't too shabby regardless so only the stronger cyclists would be passing you at that level. If you are a decent swimmer it may have taken them a good while to catch you up so it figures they would only be passing you towards the end.

An aero dynamic position will help your speed as long as long as the position doesn't effect your power. I would recommend a cheap pair if you are still planning on using your S2 for the foreseeable future - save shelling out the big bucks until you are looking for a TT bike

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Daithios

Well done Eoin on completing your first Triathlon, hopefully the first of many more, especially with that very good bike-time. With a Cervelo S2 you're certainly cycling a great bike, so that's a good start.

Regarding Aero-bars I'd suggest you initially try to borrow a pair of clip-on bars if you know someone who has them, try them out yourself as they take a little time to get used to, getting balanced, finding your preferred seating angle (lower / higher) and being able to reach your preferred efficient cadence when on the bars like you saw those other cyclists reaching. It took me many sessions to find my preferred position on my bars.

Don't expect that Aero-bars are some kind of magical wind-efficient device that will enable you to fly by your competitors like you saw last weekend, I expect those cyclists were very skilled, experienced competitors (they'd have to be to better your impressive time!) who use Aero-bars for that slight advantage it brings them, maybe some of them also had fully-kitted time-trial bikes and maybe Zipp disc-wheels? It's all part of the show :)

Best of luck with your testing and future races.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

I bought a set of Profile T2 Plus Aerobars for my road bike last year. They're worth a free 3-5kph based on my usual 20km training loop. I find them comfortable to use and easy to adjust, definitely made a difference to bike times.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

I'm in a similar position to yourself Eoin (although not quite as fast as your pretty impressive bike splits!) and would also be interested to get a few opinions on how people find the clip ons. I'm reluctant to stick on some clip on aero bars for the sake of a few seconds but it is annoying to pass someone on the hills only to have them whizz by you with seemingly no effort on the flat sections. I saw an article in some magazine recently claiming that you need approx 10 % less power to maintain the same speed with aero bars. Are they really that efficient?? Can you get an equivalent aero position by sticking the head and shoulders down whiile in the drops?

As an aside, my bike has wing type handlebars on it. Is there any way of getting clip on aero bars onto these or would I be looking at a new set of handlebars as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I'm in a similar position to yourself Eoin (although not quite as fast as your pretty impressive bike splits!) and would also be interested to get a few opinions on how people find the clip ons. I'm reluctant to stick on some clip on aero bars for the sake of a few seconds but it is annoying to pass someone on the hills only to have them whizz by you with seemingly no effort on the flat sections. I saw an article in some magazine recently claiming that you need approx 10 % less power to maintain the same speed with aero bars. Are they really that efficient?? Can you get an equivalent aero position by sticking the head and shoulders down whiile in the drops?

As an aside, my bike has wing type handlebars on it. Is there any way of getting clip on aero bars onto these or would I be looking at a new set of handlebars as well?

Its not a few seconds. The difference between an aero position on tri bars and on the drops is huge. Most who ride road bikes in AG tri ride on the hoods rather than the drops which makes the difference even more massive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭scuba05

Thanks for all the solid feedback.

I think its time to invest in a set as my next two events are olympic distance.

Apart from the Profile t2 aerobars, are there any other makes that people have had a good experience with?

Should I be looking towards draft legal or the longer version?
    Which are faster?
    What are the general merits/demerits associated with each type?

I appreciate all the advice. Thanks again, Eoin

• Registered Users Posts: 38 SlowMe

I've the T2+ also and highly recommend them. A friend has the profile century and he thinks they are great. The T2+ have quite an aggressive position and it can be tough to maintain form on them over longer distances. The century seem a bit more relaxed while still giving great aero advantage (my mate is noticeable faster for the same effort when using the aero position)

Ended up going for the Profile T2 + draft legal aero bar. Seemed to get a lot of solid reviews. Not sure if its identical to the item you have. Expecting delivery, probably Tuesday.

My next outing is the Skerries Olympic distance, June 23rd. I can see the bike route is quite hilly.

With this in mind, Should I just fit the aero bars and leave the saddle height/symmetry as is as well as the stem height alone. I've an inclination that I may be better off leaving the overall bike fit (got it done professionally) alone and just drop onto the aero bars when the opportunity arises.

That's just my novice view. Anyone any input on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 SlowMe

Yes leave your bike setup as is - the only thing you might choose to do in time is drop the stem height but don't do this until you have spent some time in the aero position and are comfortable.

The DL version are slightly shorter and have the bridge between the ends but are otherwise the same. Install them with the pads behind (saddle side) but as close as possible to the bar - the pad will be almost covering it. Your forearm will sit on the pad about an inch forward of your elbow - adjust the bar length so the your hand position is comfortable, thumbs in line with forearm and on the upper part of the bend. Start with that position and play around with different settings from there until you are happy with it. Might be worth trying out a few different settings on the turbo trainer.

They take a bit of getting used to, particularly on a descending gradient because you don't have immediate acces to brakes and gears. It's not as easy as you might think to pull out of the position when going down even a very mildly declining gradient at speed.

Yes, definitely think you're spot on by suggesting I do my position experimenting on the turbo trainer.

Thanks for the advice. I can imagine it being a bit disconcerting flying down a decline in the wrong aero position, not being able to reach the brakes.

Hopefully, it'll give me some marginal gains down the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I'm in a similar position. Did TriAthy (2nd Olympic) at the weekend and found I lost time on the bike. Most people that overtook me were on TT bikes so I bought these clip-on aerobars. Hoping to use them for the first time at Skerries 70.3

Thinking of adding them to my road bike which I use to and from work to get used to them (in addition to some longer cycles obviously. Hoping they make some difference to my overall speed/time

Which distance are you going to go for at Skerries?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

scuba05 wrote: »
    Which distance are you going to go for at Skerries?
    Doing the 70.3 distance. Not really interested in time but plenty of bike time to get used to the aerobars anyway.

Advertisement