Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hydrometer seems insistent on reaching FG of 1.006

Options
  • 28-05-2013 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

I started a Coopers Wheat beer kit ten days ago. SG 4 days ago was 1.012, then 1.010, and 1.010 again today. I'm thinking if it's still 1.010 in another two days, it's ready to bottle. Bubbling has pretty much stopped. Temperature has been a fairly steady 20-22 degrees all through, and still at 22 degrees now.
    The only doubt I have is that the hydrometer instructions say not to bottle above 1.006 or the bottles will burst. Not might, WILL. In big bold writing.
    What do you reckon, safe to bottle at 1.010? Safer to leave for another few days?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

That's one of the Young's Hydrometers isn't it?

Like most instructions on homebrew stuff, ignore it. I do, if I waited for all of my brews to get down to 1.006 I'd still be waiting for my first ever kit to finish.

If your gravity is stable over a few days, then fermentation has stopped.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

1.010 is pretty good going for a kit. Mine rarely go that low.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭kieranhr

Thanks fellas, good to hear. If it's still at 1.010 tomorrow then I'll go ahead with the bottling.

It's a Stevenson-Reeves hydrometer, but I guess they all say pretty much the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

I bottled a kit pale ale, using the plastic PET bottles, a couple of weeks ago that had a FG of 1.010 and had no problems at all. No bottle bombs or anything wrong with the end beer. So you should have no problem bottling at that FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭kieranhr

Excellent. I can see you've played this game before, Knifey Spoony.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

I have bottled at 1.016 and higher (plus priming). Wheat beers are meant to be highly carbonated.

You can get gushers if you are not careful, but bottle bombs dont result from a few extra gravity points like that.

Advertisement