Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clampers & Bikes

• 28-05-2013 12:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭

Prob. a silly question but can they physically clamp a bike?

I ran into the takeaway this evening after parking illegally.... but thoughtfully. Two seconds later a clamping van appeared. I moved the bike straight away and they moved on pretty much straight away too. Didn't even check the cars at the pay display so it made me wonder if they thought they could nab me quickly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Jackasaurus rex

Saw a picture of a clamped bike that was taken in Dublin. Never seen it in real life though.

I'd have the wheel off quick smart and fit the spare. Vespa ftw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,349 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Saw a picture of a clamped bike that was taken in Dublin. Never seen it in real life though.

I'd have the wheel off quick smart and fit the spare. Vespa ftw
    Yep. Would cost them a fortune in clamps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Nothing would surprise me in this country, seen a horse and cart outside a government building. Came out 20mins later and the horse was up on four blocks and the cart was gone...

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

if mine was clamped, I'd just get my breakdown recovery to bring it home for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Putting nasty chains and metal up against my bike.. I hope they have insurance against people claiming for damage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Kamikasi's bike was clamped years ago outside his job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2012/03/22/meanwhile-at-the-ifsc/#comments

I think that is the photo mentioned above. Did a Google for it initially and found some very inventive clamps for bikes in the likes of Singapore that looks like it will actually prevent you from taking the wheel off.

20121003_175405.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I'd love to catch them do it , they'd need to make sure the Gardai and an ambulance are on standby. I f*cking hate anyone even touching my bike let alone put a huge metal clamp thing on it !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

all i would say is his xray will go viral, as it not only will have a clamp buried up his hole, he will also have the wheel and my size 11...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

At the IFSC Dublin..

clampdelete_zps81c884ad.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

At the IFSC Dublin..

Very upsetting picture.

So it does happen!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Seanie_H wrote: »
    Very upsetting picture.

So it does happen!!

I've never actually seen or heard of it in real life.

But if I was clamped I'd just have the bike recovered by a mate, remove the clamp and fu*k it away.

I wouldn't be overly concerned at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭7ofBrian

It most definitely does happen. I took this photo outside centra in Old Bawn :
    922992_10151510346233425_1297681729_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 34 nigs

legaly ur allowed to take it off. once you dont damage the actual clamp or chain. there is nothing they can do. took one off me van before. loosened nuts then droped the wishbone and took the chain off. gave the c*nt a ring and told him i need me van unclamped. meanwhile i brought the van home and came back down in the car with the clamp in the boot. lets just say the look on his face when he seen the van was gone was pricless. and just to rub it in i told him i wanted 120 yoyo'sfor storing his clamp........ he took it in good spirit in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Pedro K

7ofBrian wrote: »
    It most definitely does happen. I took this photo outside centra in Old Bawn :
    922992_10151510346233425_1297681729_n.jpg
    Dickheads... I know that shopping centre well. There's walk ways all around the place and that isn't one of them. The bike was doing no harm there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭7ofBrian

Actually that is one of the walkways between 2 pedestrian crossings (bike is opposite tyre place) but its still not blocking the path!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

hypothetically, if you cant get the clamp off the bike, and it has to be left in the city centre overnight, and it gets pinched (clamp and all), where do you stand?
    Off the bat, my bike is supposed to be garaged overnight, so insurance could be sticky..
    nigs wrote: »
    legaly ur allowed to take it off. once you dont damage the actual clamp or chain. there is nothing they can do. took one off me van before. loosened nuts then droped the wishbone and took the chain off. gave the c*nt a ring and told him i need me van unclamped. meanwhile i brought the van home and came back down in the car with the clamp in the boot. lets just say the look on his face when he seen the van was gone was pricless. and just to rub it in i told him i wanted 120 yoyo'sfor storing his clamp........ he took it in good spirit in fairness.

I would imagine they would pass the chain through the spokes of the wheel unfort - so not sure its possible to remove without damaging anything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Pedro K

7ofBrian wrote: »
    Actually that is one of the walkways between 2 pedestrian crossings (bike is opposite tyre place) but its still not blocking the path!

I didn't remember that there were pedestrian crossings between those two things. Thought there was just the one running through the middle and anyone else would have to walk on the path in front of the chipper and tire place. I must be losing my memory...

Either way. Not harming anyone. Dickheads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You can't touch a clamp fitted by a local authority, or their authorised agents, even if you don't damage it. A private clamp can be removed if undamged.
    Pedro K wrote: »
    I didn't remember that there were pedestrian crossings between those two things. Thought there was just the one running through the middle and anyone else would have to walk on the path in front of the chipper and tire place. I must be losing my memory...

Either way. Not harming anyone. Dickheads.

The bike must have been there a while to be clamped, as usually unless you're blocking access they don't clamp bikes. I wouldn't mind but that car park is usually empty and they could have parked anywhere else and not got clamped, it's only in Dublin city where you can't park in the car bays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Wossack wrote: »
    hypothetically, if you cant get the clamp off the bike, and it has to be left in the city centre overnight, and it gets pinched (clamp and all), where do you stand?
    Off the bat, my bike is supposed to be garaged overnight, so insurance could be sticky..

I would imagine they would pass the chain through the spokes of the wheel unfort - so not sure its possible to remove without damaging anything

A clamp could be stolen? My heart bleeds.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Del2005 wrote: »
    ... they could have parked anywhere else and not got clamped, it's only in Dublin city where you can't park in the car bays.

Is that true? In (free) shopping centre-type carparks, you mean? Or on the streets?

peckerhead wrote: »
    Is that true? In (free) shopping centre-type carparks, you mean? Or on the streets?

From Dublin Cities 2012 Bye Laws.
    Motor cycles
    and pedal
    cycles
    prohibited from
    parking in pay
    and display
    ticket parking
    places

Which means there's very few legal places to park a bit in Dublin City!!

Once the bike is taxed* it can be parked anywhere accessible to the public unless signs prohibit it and I've never seen no motorcycles signs in any shopping centres.

*Tax isn't necessary for private property, like car parks, but you need to be taxed to get there or away if requested.

You can't touch a clamp fitted by a local authority, or their authorised agents, even if you don't damage it. A private clamp can be removed if undamged.

fair enough if you say so" im no legal expert. but the clamp I took off was belong to that NCPS crowd in a supermarket car park. so illegal or not. if any company puts a clamp on my car or my bike. and I feel I need to carry out.... wink,wink (emergency repairs). and their clamp just happens to fall off. grey area me thinks....? I know most are just doing their jobs but I don't think its regulated very well, there was no way I was paying 120 quid on a sunday morning for the sake of the morning papers and a sneaky dash into the bookies. but as I said the guy took it in good spirits. no commission for him but at least he didn't have to take a face load of abuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

fair enough if you say so" im no legal expert. but the clamp I took off was belong to that NCPS crowd in a supermarket car park. so illegal or not. if any company puts a clamp on my car or my bike. and I feel I need to carry out.... wink,wink (emergency repairs). and their clamp just happens to fall off. grey area me thinks....? I know most are just doing their jobs but I don't think its regulated very well, there was no way I was paying 120 quid on a sunday morning for the sake of the morning papers and a sneaky dash into the bookies. but as I said the guy took it in good spirits. no commission for him but at least he didn't have to take a face load of abuse.

The fee is 80€ as far as i am concerned - at least in Dublin cc

swear to god 120 euros on a sunday morning. ncps crowd....... in naas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Easily fixed lads :)

photon.jpg

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Easily fixed lads :)

photon.jpg
    love it..... must be one of them swiss army knives with the angle grinder attachment. mcgyver wouldn't have a patch on ye...

The gray area is only on private clampers, like that got you, Dublin CC clampers have legal standing and interfering with their clamps is illegal. Private clamps are fair game as the companies don't want to take a case for damage in case they loose and then no one can clamp privately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

The gray area is only on private clampers, like that got you, Dublin CC clampers have legal standing and interfering with their clamps is illegal. Private clamps are fair game as the companies don't want to take a case for damage in case they loose and then no one can clamp privately.

So all the issues so far on this thread seem to be NSPC. Two examples are bikes parked on private property (the IFSC and a shopping centre) and don't seem to be obstructing much. So it seems to be NSPC are opportunists.

I'm sure Dublin City Council Clampers are there to make a quick buck too but they don't seem to be hitting bikes - providing they're not in pay & display.

• Advertisement

Seanie_H wrote: »
    So all the issues so far on this thread seem to be NSPC. Two examples are bikes parked on private property (the IFSC and a shopping centre) and don't seem to be obstructing much. So it seems to be NSPC are opportunists.

I'm sure Dublin City Council Clampers are there to make a quick buck too but they don't seem to be hitting bikes - providing they're not in pay & display.

In fairness both bikes where illegally parked in places with loads of available space, doesn't matter who owns the property it should be respected so they don't ban bikes. DCC can't really start clamping bikes as then they'd have to provide access to parking bays or proper bike bays with proper ground anchors

Advertisement