Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clampers & Bikes

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

Del2005 wrote: »
    In fairness both bikes where illegally parked in places with loads of available space

That's not true of the IFSC (that said, the IFSC parking was in the middle of a square and could have been more considerate).

Del2005 wrote: »
    doesn't matter who owns the property it should be respected so they don't ban bikes.

It does matter who owns the property. In my opinion, the Old Bawn parking was fine and respectful.... hurting nobody and maintaining car spaces.

This thread is a good discussion on where to be more careful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Seanie_H wrote: »
    That's not true of the IFSC (that said, the IFSC parking was in the middle of a square and could have been more considerate).

That's the thing if they'd been more considerate they wouldn't have been clamped. Parking in the middle of a pedestrian area is asking for trouble
    It does matter who owns the property.

Why?

In my opinion, the Old Bawn parking was fine and respectful.... hurting nobody and maintaining car spaces.

Blocking a footpath is never a better place to park a bike, it hurts people that need to use footpaths like wheelchairs and buggies. There are loads of places within a few meters that it could have been parked completely out of everyones ways and why do we need to maintain car spaces? I pay my tax and I'm entitled to park anywhere a car does unless it's Dublin City.
    This thread is a good discussion on where to be more careful.
    Common sense should be all that's needed, but unfortunately that's missing from a lot of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

Sorry for sound maybe crazy but can anyone explain to me why cant we park in car slot space? As mentioned we also pay road tax (at least i do) so if i will go shoping and i will ocupy free car park slot i may be clamped? It sound little stupid to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Bikerguy wrote: »
    Sorry for sound maybe crazy but can anyone explain to me why cant we park in car slot space? As mentioned we also pay road tax (at least i do)

No actually you don't pay 'road tax', you pay a 'motor tax'.. Pedantic I know but thats what we're paying.

Why can't we use car park spaces?.. I've no idea, I'd never even think of it tbh. I'd rather park on the path and secure the bike to something like a pole or rail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

No actually you don't pay 'road tax', you pay a 'motor tax'.. Pedantic I know but thats what we're paying.

Why can't we use car park spaces?.. I've no idea, I'd never even think of it tbh. I'd rather park on the path and secure the bike to something like a pole or rail.

Yeh but in that case u may have been clamped acording the pics provided in this topis, as the foot pad is not designed for parking...

Thanks for clearing up the term road/motor tax for me big man, now lets find out where can we actualy park safe.

For example in spain they do have parking disagned for "motos only", almost on every main street - free off charge and with plenty of poles to lock the bike to. Here u are left to use bicycle poles or foot/pedestrian pats - corect me if i am wrong.

• Advertisement

Yeh but in that case u may have been clamped acording the pics provided in this topis, as the foot pad is not designed for parking...

Thanks for clearing up the term road/motor tax for me big man, now lets find out where can we actualy park safe.

For example in spain they do have parking disagned for "motos only", almost on every main street - free off charge and with plenty of poles to lock the bike to. Here u are left to use bicycle poles or foot/pedestrian pats - corect me if i am wrong.

There used to be lots of allocated motorbike parking on O'Connell St but that seems to have largely disappeared in the last few years.

I try not leave my bike for long periods in the city tbh.. Usually when I park I park outside the shop/mall where I'll only be a few minutes away from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Sorry for sound maybe crazy but can anyone explain to me why cant we park in car slot space? As mentioned we also pay road tax (at least i do) so if i will go shoping and i will ocupy free car park slot i may be clamped? It sound little stupid to me.

AFAIK it's only in Dublin City where motorbikes are banned from using the pay and display bays, see my earlier post with the link to Dublin Cities bye laws. Anywhere else we can park where we like once it's legal and it's never legal to park on a footpath, but if you park such that there's no risk of blocking wheelchairs or buggies it's generally not acted on. The bikes clamped in Old Bawn and IFSC where really taking it too far.

There are a couple of designated bike bays in Dublin city, there's one on Princes Street North with nothing to secure your bike to but there are loads of armed Gardaí are around here, and a few unofficial ones on tops of Grafton Street and outside Pearse Street cop shop are a few. Plenty of other bikes are locked on footpaths out of harms way without ever being clamped or ticketed.

Edit...

One time I was dropping into Megabikes and just parked up at the end of their sales bikes. The guy from the shop asked me to move it to the other end as they'd get hassle if I parked there, beside the traffic lights, and I'd maybe get a ticket so moved it to outside the cafe while still parking on the footpath.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Here's my bike clamped in the underground carpark where I worked at the time

Clamped.jpg

There was no specific bike parking but everyone used to cram their bikes into a walkway - which had a no bike parking sign. I did not want mine getting hit by the guys who wheel deliveries in there, so I moved it into a big space in between two lift shafts. There was a fire exit nearby so they clamped me. Bastards. I did not have time to contest or take any drastic measures so I had the pay the €90

OUCH!... I'd be f*cking livid and ready to murder someone.

Advertisement