Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have two phones, only need one. Advice please

Options
  • 28-05-2013 7:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭

I have two mobile phones which I literally carry around with me all the time. One is for work and the other is mainly for my personal life. I decided to do this when I started the job as my work involves a heavy amount of phone calls, many of which would come at unsocial hours and I didn't always want to be haunted by work at weekends etc.

I am leaving my job at the end of the summer and so my work phone will go with it. I'm sure they would be happy for me to port the simcard over to another network and pay the bill myself, so I could keep the phone number and so still be able to keep in touch with a lot the contacts I have developed during this job.

However, I would prefer to put an end to the practice of carrying 2 phones and have one instead. Any tips on how to do this without having to tell 100 people (either work or personal) that I've changed my number?

Thanks for any replies in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

GusherING wrote: »
    I have two mobile phones which I literally carry around with me all the time. One is for work and the other is mainly for my personal life. I decided to do this when I started the job as my work involves a heavy amount of phone calls, many of which would come at unsocial hours and I didn't always want to be haunted by work at weekends etc.

I am leaving my job at the end of the summer and so my work phone will go with it. I'm sure they would be happy for me to port the simcard over to another network and pay the bill myself, so I could keep the phone number and so still be able to keep in touch with a lot the contacts I have developed during this job.

However, I would prefer to put an end to the practice of carrying 2 phones and have one instead. Any tips on how to do this without having to tell 100 people (either work or personal) that I've changed my number?

Thanks for any replies in advance!

A lot of the Chinese Android phones (some of them pretty good apparently - check out the threads in the Android Devices forum) support dual SIMs so that might work for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

A dual sim sounds exactly what you're looking for. You'll have to get one online though, because I've never seen shops if Ireland selling them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

ye id say a dual sim for a while and tell the contacts who have other means of contacting you ie friends, that you got a new number. That way if they forget or loose both they can still get you. where as if work contacts loose you then thats it

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Use call diverts on one SIM card to divert to your other number till you are happy it's not getting calls. You will have to pay the price of the diverted call just depends on what network and plan you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭rougegal

I had the same problem with 2 phones when i left my job & was allowed to keep the work phone.
    I moved the work number to pay as you go and notified any contacts on it that I wanted to keep in contact with that I was changing my number. I topped up by €5 every so often to keep it active (check with your network) as I wasn't using it. After a week I just started leaving it at home and checking it every evening, the calls and texts became less frequent as I started calling people back from my 'new' number.

• Advertisement
Advertisement