Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second hand game market.

• 28-05-2013 8:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

I've been hearing snippets of game development companies complaining about the second hand game market and also been listening to a little bit about new consoles rumored to introduce methods of cutting out this market.

A thought occurred to me: Why don't these companies start offering to pay people for their used games and then offer to sell them as used games themselves? For example you have lets say Skyrim and you're done with it, so you post it to Bethesda who check if it works and then send you a portion of the games market value. They then sell it on their website as a used game.

The above idea must be possible considering the fact that the likes of Gamestop are still in the business of selling used games along side new ones and for the example above I would assume that Bethesda are selling games so why not take an extra leap and start selling used games too and gain some of the income they complain about not seeing any of?

It's the only real idea that popped into my head, any of you have any of your own ideas or a take on this topic?

I'm very interested to hear the views game developers have on this or there ideas around solving it if it is seen as a concern to the industry.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

I've been hearing snippets of game development companies complaining about the second hand game market and also been listening to a little bit about new consoles rumored to introduce methods of cutting out this market.

A thought occurred to me: Why don't these companies start offering to pay people for their used games and then offer to sell them as used games themselves? For example you have lets say Skyrim and you're done with it, so you post it to Bethesda who check if it works and then send you a portion of the games market value. They then sell it on their website as a used game.

The above idea must be possible considering the fact that the likes of Gamestop are still in the business of selling used games along side new ones and for the example above I would assume that Bethesda are selling games so why not take an extra leap and start selling used games too and gain some of the income they complain about not seeing any of?

It's the only real idea that popped into my head, any of you have any of your own ideas or a take on this topic?

I'm very interested to hear the views game developers have on this or there ideas around solving it if it is seen as a concern to the industry.

The problem with that is they'll piss off Gamestop etc.

Along with the pissing off bit, they might also put them out of business.

The people that sell their games. Probably not quite the time to piss them off and put them out of business.

As things move to a more digital distribution model in the mainstream, it will happen eventually. I just don't think it will happen with this generation of consoles that still have physical media that will earn them lots of cash via Gamestop etc.

Advertisement