Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can Eircom tell me if i'll be able to get broadband on a new line

Options
  • 28-05-2013 9:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi, I've just moved to a house in the country where there is a phone line installed but not activated (there is a dial tone). Will Eircom be able to tell from my address whether I will be able to get broadband and what the speed will be? Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭eircom: Tracey

Hi areidy,

I'm afraid you will need to activate the line in the property first so that we can test the line for Broadband. The line has to be active to give a line test result.

If you contact the sales team on 1901 they will explore all your options with you.

Thanks

Tracey

• Registered Users Posts: 21 areidy

Hi areidy,

I'm afraid you will need to activate the line in the property first so that we can test the line for Broadband. The line has to be active to give a line test result.

If you contact the sales team on 1901 they will explore all your options with you.

Thanks

Tracey
    Thanks Tracey,

Does this mean i'll have to pay to have it activated, ie. enter a contract... and then tested? Or is there a once off payment for activation??
    The only reason i would get the line activated is for broadband service as i don't need a landline.

thanks again 
    Alan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

areidy wrote: »
    Thanks Tracey,

Does this mean i'll have to pay to have it activated, ie. enter a contract... and then tested? Or is there a once off payment for activation??
    The only reason i would get the line activated is for broadband service as i don't need a landline.

thanks again 
    Alan
    You will have to pay for a landline anyway to get broadband, there is a fee for activating the line and it may involve a 12month contract with Eircom.

Ask your neighbours about their broadband and what speeds they are getting and ask if they know the location of your local exchange.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    You will have to pay for a landline anyway to get broadband, there is a fee for activating the line and it may involve a 12month contract with Eircom.

Ask your neighbours about their broadband and what speeds they are getting and ask if they know the location of your local exchange.
    Thanks foggy_lad

Just want to check my options without having to fork out money on a landline i'll never use if i can't get broadband. Better start convassing the neighbours;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Don't get stuck into a 12 month contract which is what Eircom will try to do. They will tell you have to get the line activated and then be stuck in a contract for line rental even if you can't get bb.

What you are better off doing is going to Vodafone or Sky as they have cheaper packages. Eircom will tell you a price and even tell you it includes vat, then you'll get a bill and find that the quote over phone doesn't include vat. Happened to me a few years ago and a recent thread here on boards, it's happened to another.

Give sky a call for example. If there's a line, they will communicate with Eircom to activate the line. You will be issued a number etc. They might not be able to tell you the speed until the line is active but if you order over the phone, you will have a 14 day cooling off period from the date the services go active. So if you are unhappy with the speeds, you can cancel without penalty. Sky is prob the best atm for price wise. Their €40 package will give you unlimited d/l. Vodafone will have a  40gb cap as well as line speed of 8mb max.

The actual speed & quality of the service you get will depend on your line and the local exchange.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭eircom: Tracey

Hi Alan,

There is no activation charge but by activating the line you will be tied into a 12 month contract.

We can't guarantee broadband as a service until we have the line up and running to get a live test result. Every house is individual for broadband service.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused.  

Thanks

Tracey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Does eircom have a cooling off period? If so then you could activate the line, then check and cancel within the cooling off period.

As far as I know there should be if you order online or over the phone.

Told you. At least Tracey was nice about it.

It's a consumer right Limericks. 7 day cooling off period. Sky have a 14 day policy tho so easier to go with them, get broadband in and actually test it rather than have Eircom tell you what you can have then find out your line can't actually handle what they said.

If you get the broadband in you get to test it yourself. I picked Sky as example as it seems the better value for the €40 range and their own policy of 14 days rather than consumer law of only 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭sting60

There are a few reasons why you might not get broadband.Do you live in a remote area[long way from your nearest exchange.If you do live in a remote area it is likely your line is on a carrier.This means that your line is split in two in the exchange due to lack of local cables and you cannot get broadband.When you ring 1901 ask if your line is indeed on a carrier.

• Advertisement

Yawns wrote: »
    Don't get stuck into a 12 month contract which is what Eircom will try to do. They will tell you have to get the line activated and then be stuck in a contract for line rental even if you can't get bb.

What you are better off doing is going to Vodafone or Sky as they have cheaper packages. Eircom will tell you a price and even tell you it includes vat, then you'll get a bill and find that the quote over phone doesn't include vat. Happened to me a few years ago and a recent thread here on boards, it's happened to another.

Give sky a call for example. If there's a line, they will communicate with Eircom to activate the line. You will be issued a number etc. They might not be able to tell you the speed until the line is active but if you order over the phone, you will have a 14 day cooling off period from the date the services go active. So if you are unhappy with the speeds, you can cancel without penalty. Sky is prob the best atm for price wise. Their €40 package will give you unlimited d/l. Vodafone will have a  40gb cap as well as line speed of 8mb max.

The actual speed & quality of the service you get will depend on your line and the local exchange.
    I suppose that's kind of what i was wondering also, whether Sky or Vodafone would be able to activate the line too. The 14 days cooling off period sounds good. thanks for the info Yawns

You're welcome. I only went with Sky myself a few weeks ago and I was told they have a 14 day policy. They also have a better router imo and were able to offer me a faster line speed than Vodafone could previously. Same price but Sky had unlimited. What speed and quality you receive is down to your line obviously but best of luck with it all anyway.

Advertisement