Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

back of penneys / ex hotel

Options
  • 28-05-2013 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭

Anyone know whats going on there? builders have a loads of hoarding up along length of old hotel that used to be there. Penneys extending I would guess?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Max Powers wrote: »
    Anyone know whats going on there? builders have a loads of hoarding up along length of old hotel that used to be there. Penneys extending I would guess?

I'd say so. Didn't Penneys buy it?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

It's the extension to Penny's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Sully wrote: »
    It's the extension to Penny's.

They're building an extension?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Details here.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

O Riain wrote: »
    They're building an extension?

Yup, as per below. Its a busy store, probably one of the busiest in Waterford.
    Details here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Great to see, that premises had become an eyesore....
    That'll create more jobs in the city, long may it continue
    More of this please...

Yup, as per below. Its a busy store, probably one of the busiest in Waterford.

Ah very good, I knew they'd bought it alright but didnt think they were going to do anything major with it. Extending the store at the bottom should make it the biggest in the south east if not munster right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

:) It is excellent news to hear that this has started. This is the kind of thing that will really help the city centre. I know people will say Primark are only thinking of making more money but by doing it in an appropriate location they are creating an attraction that other businesses can feed of. I am sure the other businesses in John Roberts Square are feeling a little bit more positive about the future now and other companies may even be considering taking an empty unit in the area.

BBM77 wrote: »
    :) It is excellent news to hear that this has started. This is the kind of thing that will really help the city centre. I know people will say Primark are only thinking of making more money but by doing it in an appropriate location they are creating an attraction that other businesses can feed of. I am sure the other businesses in John Roberts Square are feeling a little bit more positive about the future now and other companies may even be considering taking an empty unit in the area.

It is great to see. If it weren't for certain planning ideologists the Centre wouldn't be in the state its in now.

7upfree wrote: »
    It is great to see. If it weren't for certain planning ideologists the Centre wouldn't be in the state its in now.

Well, I don't think that's fair. The planning got the go ahead. Such large scale developments will always go trough many phases of planning and rightfully so. The company didn't do anything and eventually went bust. If planning was given the go ahead earlier, we could very well be facing a half built complex or a complex built but nobody inside.

• Advertisement

Well, I don't think that's fair. The planning got the go ahead. Such large scale developments will always go trough many phases of planning and rightfully so. The company didn't do anything and eventually went bust. If planning was given the go ahead earlier, we could very well be facing a half built complex or a complex built but nobody inside.

Well, I don't agree. Even if it had been finished and unoccupied it would look a hell of a lot better than the bomb sites that are there at the minute. If it hadn't been delayed again and again it would have gone ahead and probably have been built.

7upfree wrote: »
    Well, I don't agree. Even if it had been finished and unoccupied it would look a hell of a lot better than the bomb sites that are there at the minute. If it hadn't been delayed again and again it would have gone ahead and probably have been built.

Either way, either solution would be an eyesore. But we have potential now to develop a smaller scale project or to sell them into individual blocks. If it were built, we wouldn't have as much flexibility.

Either way, either solution would be an eyesore. But we have potential now to develop a smaller scale project or to sell them into individual blocks. If it were built, we wouldn't have as much flexibility.

A small amount of people were responsible for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Oh, get a room you two! ;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭..Brian..

That will be fairly massive alright, taking up most of the block!

:p:D
    Jason Todd wrote: »
    Oh, get a room you two! ;):p

Agreed, many half built structures in limerick with cranes on top of them for years that look absolutely dreadful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

I hope they plan to open retail onto Conduit lane it would really wake that street up and open up the Town again.

What are you on about? The scale of development that got planning permission was appropriate for Waterford. Frankly building anything less on that site would be extremely short-sighted. Don’t forget we won’t always be in a recession not to mention that Waterford is currently nowhere near achieving its retail potential. Pennys building TWO extensions is proof of that.

What are you on about? The scale of development that got planning permission was appropriate for Waterford. Frankly building anything less on that site would be extremely short-sighted. Don’t forget we won’t always be in a recession not to mention that Waterford is currently nowhere near achieving its retail potential. Pennys building TWO extensions is proof of that.

I'm on about if it was built but left idle. Not if it was built and used.

• Advertisement

Good point. The problem is that some people are prepared to accept second best every time. Sadly. That's what has Waterford City where it is now. And that goes all the way up to the Authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Hopefully we'll see a much expanded mens department.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭niallo76

It is a great news that a well established and successful shop is extending its premises,obviously creating more jobs.Yet it's a shame that yet another Hotel/Bar will be lost to the city.The Belfry Hotel,although,it had not been trading for the last couple of years,was ideally situated in the city--but there seems to be a real lack of sizeable bar/hotels in the centre of the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

niallo76 wrote: »
    It is a great news that a well established and successful shop is extending its premises,obviously creating more jobs.Yet it's a shame that yet another Hotel/Bar will be lost to the city.The Belfry Hotel,although,it had not been trading for the last couple of years,was ideally situated in the city--but there seems to be a real lack of sizeable bar/hotels in the centre of the city.

Yeah, it was a fine place alright. Was cosy and the food was nice. It's exactly the kind of place I'd like to stay when looking at staying in a city centre. Still, at least the shell is being put to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭PremierDeise

wellboytoo wrote: »
    I hope they plan to open retail onto Conduit lane it would really wake that street up and open up the Town again.

That would actually make a massive difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭moose3844

Ah happy days so, Finally some good news for waterford. Hopefully it means more jobs on the horizon

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

niallo76 wrote: »

I think we're ok for hotel rooms, hence the demise of The Belfry, The Ardree and others but we do need more restaurant/bars in the city centre. The ideal would be 2 or 3 facing out onto John Roberts Sq. with outdoor seating and awnings for the summertime, bit of live music playing in the middle, create a bit of a buzz after the shops have closed. I'm thinking Quay Street Galway with more room. Maybe the city council need to get proactive with this new city centre business assoc. to do something like this, if they're not already?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

While it is most welcome to see the expansion of Penneys and the associated job creation at construction stage, I hope there is some sort of plan for the street at Conduit Lane. A big wall or warehouse type construction will not be good for that street. At least with the hotel there, there was a bit of life on the street. I'd fear that this street could become a dark alley type street if there are not business units along the street.

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    While it is most welcome to see the expansion of Penneys and the associated job creation at construction stage, I hope there is some sort of plan for the street at Conduit Lane. A big wall or warehouse type construction will not be good for that street. At least with the hotel there, there was a bit of life on the street. I'd fear that this street could become a dark alley type street if there are not business units along the street.

There is going to be an entrance into Pennys from Conduit Lane so that won't be a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

There is going to be an entrance into Pennys from Conduit Lane so that won't be a problem.

im surprised they are knocking it all, must be cheaper than a renovation. This is partly the reason why we cant attract some more big retail at the moment. They want specific places, floor plans etc, doing up a premises say like the olde stand just doesnt appeal to them. Would love to see Newgate kick off again, even a slimmed down version. Speaking of which, are they knocking the houses along newgate street, all fenced off with demolition name on fence.

Advertisement