Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

back of penneys / ex hotel

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Max Powers wrote: »
    im surprised they are knocking it all, must be cheaper than a renovation. This is partly the reason why we cant attract some more big retail at the moment. They want specific places, floor plans etc, doing up a premises say like the olde stand just doesnt appeal to them. Would love to see Newgate kick off again, even a slimmed down version. Speaking of which, are they knocking the houses along newgate street, all fenced off with demolition name on fence.

I would say another reason is that the concrete from the hotel can be sold for recycling and there is a lot of scrap metal as well so these would help make knocking it cheaper.

Also, it is in the News and Star this week about the Newgate Centre that:
    “…meetings have been taking place with regard to the re-design of the shopping development, and he hopes a planning application will be forthcoming in relation to a smaller, but still substantial development, in the future.”

http://www.waterford-news.ie/2013/07/23/demolition-of-derelict-buildings-underway/

I would also love to see the Newgate Centre started. I would though rather see the plan as is built but if the new plan allowed for extensions in the future then I suppose that would be a good compromise. I just think Waterford really needs to be ambitious (but realistic) with the Newgate Centre and not settle of a second class option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

the lane is looking a lot brighter as is the cathedral since that rediculous hotel has been torn down , hope they dont block it all off again......

Advertisement