Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to feed an 8mth old for breakfast?

Options
  • 28-05-2013 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

Hi all

Thoughts on this please.

I have an 8mth old baby boy who is a quite good eater, but struggling with what to give him for breakfast. The supermarkets near me only seem to stock milupa baby cereals and its a bit on the pricey side to be honest.

He still has no teeth and we have had to restart weening 3 times as he has been in hospital 4 times this year (repeated bronchiolitis).

So what are other people doing?

He had a bit of my porridge this morning and he seemed to get on ok with that (I added extra milk to his portion so it wasn't as thick).

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Weetabix, porridge, eggs (boiled, scrambled, omelette), toast, fruit and/or yoghurt

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

my daughter loves plain old rice crispies and i put puree fruit into it. she wolfs it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

There's a lot of salt and sugar in processed breakfast cereals, despite their claims of nutritional value. We mainly gave porridge, home made muffins (banana/apple/raspberry) and fruit cut up so she could eat it. Scrambled eggs/omelette the odd time too. We make the porridge very thick, let it cool a little and then cut it into fingers so she can eat it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

I don't know if you're avoiding gluten or dairy but a yummy and easy to eat breakfast without these is a rice pudding made with coconut milk. You can put fresh, stewed or dried fruit through it if you like. I would make it up in advance (enough for the week if you like) then warm individual portions in the morning. If you're going to do this probably best to add the fruit to the days portion, not to the pot.

Beans and lentils are also really filling and nutritious as a breakfast food.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Inishowen lady

Flahavans Porridge, I vary it each morning adding in banaanas or sultanas or cinnamon
    he still has no interest in finger foods, so the likes of toast is just a no no with him at the minute

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

My daughter has been eating toast since about 6months. Not every morning mind. Its also a great way to get them used to feeding themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

To get a bit of protein in there for toast loving babies, try French toast. Really soak the bread in the egg mix and then cut it up when cooked into strips/bite size pieces

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

lazygal wrote: »
    There's a lot of salt and sugar in processed breakfast cereals, despite their claims of nutritional value. We mainly gave porridge, home made muffins (banana/apple/raspberry) and fruit cut up so she could eat it. Scrambled eggs/omelette the odd time too. We make the porridge very thick, let it cool a little and then cut it into fingers so she can eat it.
    That's a fantastic idea with the porridge! I never would have thought of doing that! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭traineeacc

lazygal wrote: »

Love the porridge idea,going to try this in the morning! Thanks for sharing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Porridge has been the staple here since weaning. Most mornings, yummy porridge. No salt, sugar, honey or anything. Just porridge.

We tried the eggs, but she was allergic. So back to porridge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

Porridge here too, we add all kinds of things, fruit, honey, cinnamon, nutmeg, seeds, berries, avocado, dried fruit :) will have omelettes or fried egg some mornings also home baked savoury muffins

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whiterob81

Stupid question but Can babies eat muffin if they have an egg allergy?

Sure there is lots of egg free recipes. I also have a recipe for making an egg alternative yiu can use in any recipe that calls for eggs. Will dig it out for you

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whiterob81

Sound, thanks for that. Yeah we only found out a few weeks that he's allergic and we've been wondering what's off the menu so to speak

whiterob81 wrote: »
    Sound, thanks for that. Yeah we only found out a few weeks that he's allergic and we've been wondering what's off the menu so to speak

http://www.veganbaking.net/component/content/article/57-recipes/eggless-binders/208-chia-seed-binder.html#.UaTxYmS9Kc0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Porridge here every morning, or an odd day she has Weetabix - think it's a bit too heavy for their bellies to be honest. Also loves Gluten Free O's & Millet Rice (both available in the health shop or in some Tesco's) - very little salt & sugar. Don't normally give eggs in the morning, usually for lunch, but does like scrambled, boiled & sometimes french toast. Hasn't liked bread up to now (19 months), but in the last week or so has been eating it a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Fran79

Thanks for everbodys comments!!

The porridge fingers went down a treat.

Completely forgot about French toast (we call it eggy bread in this house!) I think we may be having some for lunch as hubbie is rather partial to it!

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

whiterob81 wrote: »

We found most of the egg replacers to be revolting to be honest.... I wouldn't eat them myself so I wasn't going to give them to a baby.

We avoided the eggs until her bloods came back low. If you're attending an allergy clinic they will be able to advise. It takes a bit of getting used to reading ingredients in things like pasta, ice cream and breads, but you'll get the hang of it quick enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I do the porridge fingers too but I often make them up with something for added flavour. Today instead of milk I used mashed banana and peanutbutter as the wet ingredients. I use one part 'wet' for each part porridge. So 3 spoons of porridge with 2.5 of banana and .5 of peanutbutter, mixed into a dough, rolled into fingers and put in the microwave for 90 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭skit490

Anyone got good recipe for muffins ?

Liking the eggy bread idea

How often can u give eggs does anyone know.quote="Hobbitfeet;84821563"]Porridge here too, we add all kinds of things, fruit, honey, cinnamon, nutmeg, seeds, berries, avocado, dried fruit :) will have omelettes or fried egg some mornings also home baked savoury muffins[/quote]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

forgot to mention the porridge fingers - my little one used to love them. Haven't made them in months, must try them again.

One of my fav muffin recipes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

My 16 month old has fruit and Weetabix/ Readybrek . I have to put mashed banana or strawberies/raspberries in with the Readybrek, or she won't eat it. She's not a massive fan of porridge, if made for her, but picks at mine.
    Eggy bread or pancakes are a great way of getting egg into them, if like mine they don't like boiled/scrambled eggs....

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

Pancakes? Blueberry American-style pancakes are a big hit for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Porridge here most mornings too. Sometimes pancakes, sometimes eggs, sometimes toast but usually porridge!

Advertisement