Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House alarm sugestions?

Options
  • 28-05-2013 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

I am just looking to get an inexpensive house alarm one that will do the job and meet the requirements if i want to get another gun has anyone any got any inexpensive house alarms they don't have to be monitored i think any help or suggestions would be appreciated :)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

You can make the system as expensive or as cheap as you like.

Firstly it must be a registered company doing the alarm. Most are. Then you need the basic components such as the control panel, wiring, etc. However you can choose to limit the number of sensors or contacts that monitor the windows or doors.

As for monitored, talk to the installer and ask them the cost of it. Compare it to others such as Eircom, etc and find which suits best if it's a road you wish to go down at some point.

The best thing about the house alarm is you can add to it over time. Upgrading as you wish or need it. Mine is covering every window, door (internal & external), has motion sensors, wireless backup, is monitored, and i've a CCTV system covering inside, and outside the house. I have other non alram related features which i won't go into now or here.

I done all this over the course of a year. When i had all my guns (11 of them) a couple of years ago is was more than even the top level of security demands, however i did not do it for that. I want my house, contents, and most importantly guns kept safe when i'm not there. All these features give me that peace of mind.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭mike91

thanks very much any suggestions of who to go to do they all meet the requirements they would probably be used to calls about this stuff would they?

They are more than use to calls asking about details, and prices, etc. The lad i used is registered, and i know him,and his family. All of whom are from a shooting background so i knew he'd be best suited.

I've sent a PM with his name, and number in case i shouldn't be putting on the open forum. It's a Puma alarm system.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Are you going from 3 non restricted to 4 or 5 to 6 plus?

For 4-5 it says you must alarm the place where the gun is stored and windows and doors must be up to scratch. People have alarmed the room only where it is stored. Or if you alarm the house it doesn't have to be monitored which would be cheaper again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

garv123 wrote: »
    Are you going from 3 non restricted to 4 or 5 to 6 plus?

For 4-5 it says you must alarm the place where the gun is stored and windows and doors must be up to scratch. People have alarmed the room only where it is stored. Or if you alarm the house it doesn't have to be monitored which would be cheaper again.

Correct,I have a wireless/monitored alarm system which I installed myself,simple.
    It will ring your phone and if you do not answer it will ring up to Ten phone numbers that you program into it and let them know the alarm has been activated

• Advertisement

yes it will be going from 3 non restricted to 4 or 5 where can i get one of those wireless ones?? any good sites or names?
    i want to get an alarm with once off payment i dont want to get the house alarmed and pay monthly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Phone watch have an offer at the moment. Alarm with seven sensors for €699.

Not too bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Sean Mullen

Rosahane wrote: »
    Phone watch have an offer at the moment. Alarm with seven sensors for €699.

Not too bad!

But then 25 euro a month for 3years. Read the small print before signing up for anything

yeah see thats the thing it will have to be a once off payment job what kinda alarms are they? wireless monitors? i think you can add on sensors then if you want? but i mean bog standard just to meet the requirements

mike91 wrote: »
    yeah see thats the thing it will have to be a once off payment job what kinda alarms are they? wireless monitors? i think you can add on sensors then if you want? but i mean bog standard just to meet the requirements

Getting a monitored one would be a higher end one and as you said its another monthly fee.

But then not monitored if it does go off no one will care about it.. They´ll just be shouting would that mike fecker ever turn off his stupid alarm.. people dont consider alarms going off as somewhere being robbed it seems :D

Im sure alarming the door, window into the room would be cheap enough one off fee.

Are the external doors, windows door to the room up to scratch? that could be costly if they decided it wasnt.

• Advertisement

Id say they are yeah unless they wanted to be awkward about it.. so just alarm the door into the room its stored in and the window or alarm the doors into the house and have a sensor in the room can that be done?

Id say they are yeah unless they wanted to be awkward about it.. so just alarm the door into the room its stored in and the window or alarm the doors into the house and have a sensor in the room can that be done?

Depends on the super really.. He could decide you have to hire the secret service and buy 10 rottweilers to keep watch on the place..

Best thing is to contact the FO or super about it and see what they say cos thats only minimal requirements.

yeah I think I will do that the FO is sound now i have to give him credit like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

I have recently just ordered an alarm. I wanted to move up to the next category of security requirements and have thought of just doing the minimum required but after thinking about it if I'm going through the process of getting an alarm put in I might as well do it right.

I live in a rural area and with the increase in burglaries there was no point taking the risk of just alarming one room. I ordered a monitored alarm from Eircom with window sensors all around and other motion sensors.

I went with a monitored alarm cause like Garv said how many people will check a house with an alarm going off? They either don't want to check in case there is a burglar in the house or they presume its a false alarm.

Can't wait to start filling up the rest of the space in the safe now :D

I dont live in a rural area and the minimum is a must for me maybe in the future i will upgrade but for now i just want to meet the requirements

I am just looking to get an inexpensive house alarm one that will do the job and meet the requirements if i want to get another gun has anyone any got any inexpensive house alarms they don't have to be monitored i think any help or suggestions would be appreciated :)

Google Yale very good monitored wireless alarms

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭lefthooker

I'd recommend a monitored alarm. I have a few friends with the type that send out a text or ring set numbers, a few times their alarms have gone off but they were never notified. And as was said earlier a lot of people just ignore the sirens.

An alarm won't prevent your guns being stolen but its a big deterrent, nothing worse than the guns that you've spent your hard earned on vanishing. Or the wait while the cops investigate before they issue you with new licenses.

Eircom were pushing alarms in our area, €499 for 6 sensors

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭knockon

I'am with phone watch for a long time. Phone line and radio link and monitored. Phone watch are peddling this notion that Gardai are eagerly waiting for a call from their monitoring dept. Gardai are pissed off with false alarms. In my book getting a call from them or my Dad who gets the call and one of us can be there in minutes is sufficient. I suppose the key is having a a neighbour/key holder who is nearby is crucial.
    I am very happy with my system and it gives great piece of mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭vapour_trail

Thinking of stepping up to the next level of security myself. I have cctv for the yard and corners of the house but we have no alarm. I have 4 guns but Id really like to get another rifle (I have 2 shotguns and 2 rimfires) I want to get a dedicated foxing gun. Dunno if its worth getting the alarm or if Id get away without it. Living in a rural area no one seems to care if an alarm goes off.

Thinking of stepping up to the next level of security myself. I have cctv for the yard and corners of the house but we have no alarm. I have 4 guns but Id really like to get another rifle (I have 2 shotguns and 2 rimfires) I want to get a dedicated foxing gun. Dunno if its worth getting the alarm or if Id get away without it. Living in a rural area no one seems to care if an alarm goes off.

If you have 2 shotguns and 2 rimfires you should already have where the guns are stored alarmed and doors/windows up to standard so you can get a 5th without changing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

If you have 4 firearms you should already have an alarm in place.

Im really confused by the whole restricted /unrestricted thing :confused: I have a semi auto shotgun, u/o , and 2 b/a rimfire rifles. What are the requirements for the alarm then is it the room has to be alarmed or what? Theyre in 2 separate rooms in separate safes and then the ammo is also in separate safes. Whats the point paying for an alarm when the nearest garda station is 40 mins away from me? Whats the cheapest way with the alarm? The windows and doors are highly secure as I only had them all replaced before Christmas and the doors have this 5 lock thing.

Thats exactly what im looking for too the CHEAPEST way that MEETS THE REQUIREMENTS and thats all, does anyone know what the requirements are? and where to get whatever is needed to meet that?

knockon wrote: »
    I'am with phone watch for a long time. Phone line and radio link and monitored. Phone watch are peddling this notion that Gardai are eagerly waiting for a call from their monitoring dept. Gardai are pissed off with false alarms. In my book getting a call from them or my Dad who gets the call and one of us can be there in minutes is sufficient. I suppose the key is having a a neighbour/key holder who is nearby is crucial.
    I am very happy with my system and it gives great piece of mind.

Gardai will not call out to monitored alarm activation's any more, unless there is a 2nd activation ie the PIR inside activates which means intruder has actually got inside, if you monitor the alarm yourself along with family/neighbors you have a more rapid response time you or whoever responds can call gardai and confirm an actual intrusion. Monitor alarms by companies ie eircom etc and are money gimmick and waste of money, you can do much better yourself especially with the technology that is there now and getting cheaper because of competition

The most common fault, in rural areas, for alarms going off is either something faulty in the system or the sensors are too sensitive.

I've never had an issue with the alarm going off for no reason. Only good thing is with the cctv i can review the footage for the time the alarm goes off, and find out what caused it. On two occasions it was birds hitting the window, and on the third someone came around the house, and the Rottie tried going through the window to them.

I know times are tight. God knows i couldn't afford my current set up if i had to pay for it all now, but i would highly recommend to everyone to upgrade as and when you can. As sa above i done what i done not to comply with some minimum standards but to protect my guns, property, and contents. I worked hard enough to put them there, and to think that some scummer would by in my house, and going through my stuff would kill me.

Plus my house is the only house in about 4 miles with an alarm. So if said scummer was looking at houses he would see all my security measures, and then see the neighbours with nothing and realise they are an easier target. This point was proved true in the last 8 months when most houses in my area have either been burgled with the house closest to me only done in the last 4 weeks. While houses on either side of me have been touched mine remains untouched.

I totally agree i would love to have the money to have a nice big set up but im not in a rural area it would be hard for someone not to be noticed and there is ALWAYS someone in the house im just looking for the minimum now to keep the guards off my back incase i wanted another gun and im sure slowly but surely i will build it up

What is the price for the system lads? Id only want the bare minimum as I want to stay on the right side of the law. Im always just a few minutes away from home because of work so I just want something that will cover me legally and be cheap as possible :p The cctv is a great job though and Im glad I have that at least its something to go on if something does happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Lotharmike

I have the non monitored in the house for a number of years & like what has been said I found that they are by & large ignored,got the Phonewatch installed couple months ago & it is very good,on the forms for your nominated contact numbers it has a section if there are firearms in the house,alarm went off last week when I was away Gardai outside the door within 5 minutes literally.Very good service highly recommend it after the initial cost you are going to outlay €25 a month is not a lot for peace of mind for firearms & optics that cost a hell of a lot more plus the world of hassle god forbid if you do get a break in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Rosahane

I have a monitored alarm and internal PIRS. if a sensor activates the monitoring company call me or nominated. If the secondary internal PIRS also activate they call the Guards immediately!
    It works too as I discovered by accident once :eek:

• Advertisement

Whats the minimum requirement though ? Does the alarm have to be monitored?

Advertisement