Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House alarm sugestions?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Whats the minimum requirement though ? Does the alarm have to be monitored?

No.

external doors and windows have to be up to a standard. The place where the guns are stored has to be alarmed. Some people get away with the room alarmed and others have to do the whole house.
    However your super interprets "the place"

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭mike91

Any idea on price for alarming the room and or house one of them phone call ones there one off payment arnt they the sensors and it rings you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭charlie10

i got the eircom phone watch on a deal they had got the front and back door as standard then 8 sensors after that i think it was . good system but you have to monitor the first twelve months ,check there website

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭mike91

nice one charlie thanks man

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭knockon

The NAGRC used to have a deal with Phonewatch. Its on the back of your card still i think. I called up the past year and spoke to accounts to renew the maint contract and monitoring. The guy told me that deal was over. I expressed terrible disappointment etc.. and he said "if you pay in full now I'll take 10% off. That was in Oct 2011 - not sure if it will still work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Woodcock man

I would strongly advise anyone thinking of going with an eircom phone watch alarm to read the fine print ...... There is nothing free in this world as they would lead you to believe ...... You pay through the nose once you sign the contract !!!
    Stick to a local installer who doesn't employ a salesman who sells you what he can not what you want !!

By the time you pay all the hidden extras it ends up a very expensive alarm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭lefthooker

By the time you pay all the hidden extras it ends up a very expensive alarm

Would you mind disclosing a few of the extras?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭vapour_trail

I dont want to go with eircom as the government shafts me enough, just want a basic "yep thatll do ya" cheapo model but havent a clue about alarms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Wher are you based lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Rosahane

I dont want to go with eircom as the government shafts me enough, just want a basic "yep thatll do ya" cheapo model but havent a clue about alarms.

To comply with the legislation on both the alarm standards and the firearms licensing legislation you have to use a registered contractor... End of!

This can be Phonewatch or another local or national contractor. Phonewatch only sell monitored systems which naturally have an ongoing cost.

The installation cost will obviously depend on the type of house, position of safe etc. and the minimum requirements to comply with both the legislation and the local Garda Superintendent.

So, talk to your FO to find out the minimum requirements from their perspective and then shop around to find the system that you can live with!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Rosahane wrote: »
    To comply with the legislation on both the alarm standards and the firearms licensing legislation you have to use a registered contractor... End of!

This can be Phonewatch or another local or national contractor. Phonewatch only sell monitored systems which naturally have an ongoing cost.

The installation cost will obviously depend on the type of house, position of safe etc. and the minimum requirements to comply with both the legislation and the local Garda Superintendent.

So, talk to your FO to find out the minimum requirements from their perspective and then shop around to find the system that you can live with!

No that would be for 6 or more firearms..

1 One non-restricted shotgun
    The shotgun shall be disassembled and each part shall be stored securely and seperately when not in use. The trigger housing shall be secured against use with an approrpiate trigger lock.

2 One restricted firearm or three or fewer non-restricted firearms.
    Each firearm shall be stored securely in a gun safe which complies with BS 7558 and which shall be securely fixed to a solid structure

3 Two restricted firearms or more han three non-restricted firearms. Each firearm shall be stored in a gun safe which complies with BS 7558, and which shall be securely fixed to a solid structure. The place in which the firearms are stored shall have an alarm and the external doors to the place shall be fitted with locks which comply with BS 3621.

4 Three or more restricted firearms or six or more firearms of any type kept in the same place.
    In addition to the standards specified at reference number 3, the place in which the firearms are stored shall have an intruder alarm system installed and maintained by installers by the Private Security Authority which complies with I.S. EN 50131 or an equivalent standard approved by the commissioner of the Garda Siochana. The alarm shall be connected to a monitoring service operated by a person licensed by the Private Security Authority, and supported with the GSM Mobile telephone service back up signalling facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

Here's a tip. You don't need sensors on the windows. You can seriously reduce the cost of an alarm by just putting sensors on the doors and PIR sensors in the living area and the hall. Your totally covered then. Also you can get the alarm to text you when it goes off. I have this and I know straight away if the alarm goes off as it texts me, my wife and my brother. For free.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭altor

Here's a tip. You don't need sensors on the windows. You can seriously reduce the cost of an alarm by just putting sensors on the doors and PIR sensors in the living area and the hall. Your totally covered then. Also you can get the alarm to text you when it goes off. I have this and I know straight away if the alarm goes off as it texts me, my wife and my brother. For free.

A trap pack is all well and good, and as you have said will reduce the cost of the system. In reality an intruder has to be in your home to set off the alarm if you are just using motion detectors. Another point is you need access to your alarm system to turn it off or on. So any motion detector on this route will be off.
    This is a false sense of security the alarm system is giving you.

Perimeter protection (Windows and doors) backed up by 2 or more motion detectors will offer the best security.
    It is better to know an intruder is trying to gain entry before he is in your home.

Also be sure your alarm had an anti tamper set up on it.

My alarm even when the alarm isn't set if you cut any wire open or move any sensor the alarm will go off. And text saying alarm tamper zone xyz.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 mac10guns

Under current legislation an Intruder Alarm Must be installed by a Private Security Authority (PSA) licensed Installation company. These companies all must comply with the EN50131-1:2006+A1:2009 standard. The standard is what is known as "risk based" and each installation should be graded accordingly. An Intruder alarm can be as simple or as complicated as you wish. I would suggest that even if you start with a basic alarm you choose a control panel that allows you to expand the system at a later date. Consider a hybrid panel which allows both wired and wireless zones, this means that future add-ons don't have to entail destroying the decor or involve major works for cabling. The most effective alarms are the ones that someone responds to !!!!. In a built-up area this normally means a neighbour but in rural areas the closest neighbour can sometimes be a distance away and this where monitoring is useful, but only if somebody can respond quickly. Personally my alarm covers inside and outside the house backed up by GSM and Digi monitoring. The gun cabinet is kept on 24 hour alarm so if somebody entered the house with my family at home the alarm will still activate silently even if the main alarm is not set. This means that the Gardai are aware that they are responding to an alarm involving a firearm.I also have CCTV with the system programmed to stream video to me in the event that the alarm or PA buttons are activated.

mac10guns wrote: »
    Under current legislation an Intruder Alarm Must be installed by a Private Security Authority (PSA) licensed Installation company. These companies all must comply with the EN50131-1:2006+A1:2009 standard. The standard is what is known as "risk based" and each installation should be graded accordingly. An Intruder alarm can be as simple or as complicated as you wish. I would suggest that even if you start with a basic alarm you choose a control panel that allows you to expand the system at a later date. Consider a hybrid panel which allows both wired and wireless zones, this means that future add-ons don't have to entail destroying the decor or involve major works for cabling. The most effective alarms are the ones that someone responds to !!!!. In a built-up area this normally means a neighbour but in rural areas the closest neighbour can sometimes be a distance away and this where monitoring is useful, but only if somebody can respond quickly. Personally my alarm covers inside and outside the house backed up by GSM and Digi monitoring. The gun cabinet is kept on 24 hour alarm so if somebody entered the house with my family at home the alarm will still activate silently even if the main alarm is not set. This means that the Gardai are aware that they are responding to an alarm involving a firearm.I also have CCTV with the system programmed to stream video to me in the event that the alarm or PA buttons are activated.

The joys of been in the alarm business or security industry. Sounds like some system there well done.

Advertisement